Narco experts

Dave Arata

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I've got a Narco 12D in my Cessna 150 that I'm trying to upgrade to basic IFR. We've added a DME and I thought I could upgrade my VOR to one with glideslope using my existing 12D as I've read it's possible. However, the shop that is finishing the install can't seem to find a way to make that happen as my 12D only has antenna provisions for a single com and single nav, but no glideslope. Is there some type of converter that can be purchased or any way to wire the 12D to work. The plane isn't at a dedicated avionics shop and I could take it to one, but I'm trying to find out if it's even worth trying.

I wonder if that's trying to squeeze a penny too tight. Flying IFR behind an old Narco radio would make me nervous. Why not consider a Garmin GNC-255? It includes both a 2 place audio panel and modern radio?

Probably a lot more than you wanted to fork out, but kind of ideal for a 150. Probably uplift the overall value of the aircraft on resale time.

I've got a Narco 12D in my Cessna 150 that I'm trying to upgrade to basic IFR. We've added a DME and I thought I could upgrade my VOR to one with glideslope using my existing 12D as I've read it's possible. However, the shop that is finishing the install can't seem to find a way to make that happen as my 12D only has antenna provisions for a single com and single nav, but no glideslope. Is there some type of converter that can be purchased or any way to wire the 12D to work. The plane isn't at a dedicated avionics shop and I could take it to one, but I'm trying to find out if it's even worth trying.

http://www.mikesavionics.com/

Worth a call. Might have a quick answer for you or point you in the right direction.

I wonder if that's trying to squeeze a penny too tight. Flying IFR behind an old Narco radio would make me nervous. Why not consider a Garmin GNC-255? It includes both a 2 place audio panel and modern radio?

Probably a lot more than you wanted to fork out, but kind of ideal for a 150. Probably uplift the overall value of the aircraft on resale time.

I found a remote glideslope receiver for less than $100 and the shop I’m working with is providing the indicator for an additional $125.

Great you found what you were looking for. There's probably a treasure trove of old Narco units sitting on Av shop shelves.

Are you using the 12D as a slide in replacement for the original radio? I understand there are different configurations and different wiring setups. If it's a slide in for the factory radio you'll want the Cessna (ARC) glideslope receiver.

If you have a Cessna (ARC) CDI in the panel then it's probably (99% chance) the factory wiring.

Why not just keep what you've got and add a used NAV 122 (self contained VOR-LOC-GS-3LMB receivers) if you have the panel space?

NAV%20122_zpsqhasffoc.jpg

After several NARCO transponder failures, we came to believe that it stood for Not Another Really Costly Overhaul.

Why not just keep what you've got and add a used NAV 122 (self contained VOR-LOC-GS-3LMB receivers) if you have the panel space?

NAV%20122_zpsqhasffoc.jpg
That's actually what I really wanted, but we don't have room in the panel unfortunately.

My Narco NAV 122 (a great idea) suggested NARCO meant Now A Really Costly Operation. Both the NAV 121 and 122 were in frequent need of repair, and the needle movements are either unavailable or in short supply. I have a red-tagged Nav-122 paperweight in my office.

I can't remember on what site this alternative was suggested, but it's interesting enough.

https://www.valavionics.com/ins-429.html

They are really nice radios, the only few things I didn't like about the INS422 I had was
  • The radio is pretty log, so needs straps to support on the back.
  • There is no compass rose on the instrument. For a purist, whom really used dual VORs back in the day, the compass rose is handy when you can see the whole thing.

Last edited:
They are really nice radios, the only few things I didn't like about the INS422 I had was
  • The radio is pretty log, so needs straps to support on the back.
  • There is no compass rose on the instrument. For a purist, whom really used dual VORs back in the day, the compass rose is handy when you can see the whole thing.

Great point about the compass rose. I would not want to be without that. Working on my IFR rating with a single nav/com is work enough and removing the compass rose would certainly make the workload a bit heavier.

I have a 12D driving a VOR/Localizer in my 150. I'm not 100% sure that the 12D can run a GS/LOC or if it's just VOR/LOC. Either way, it is a common setup in the 150.

Depending on the 12D model, it can drive a VOR w/GS using a remote glideslope receive and I believe an antenna splitter. That's what we're trying to accomplish. Per my conversation with the folks at Bennett Avionics, the 12D version with the handle at the bottom of the display can be updated with a remote glideslope receiver. Evidently, Narco had a very bad habit of using the same part number on similar products, but not all with the same capability. That has caused a bit of confusion.

Back