NAPA Oil Filter 1515 Replacement

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
On another forum a good buddy (A&P) has done a lot of research on filter and has been using NAPA 1515 as a replacement for the expensive CH48110 series for years. The nipple can be removed from an old filter and red loctited in. The cost of the NAPA filter is around $4.

Yes, the NAPA specs are within the recommended ranges for Lycoming, not sure about Continentals, but they should work any place the Champion filters are used.

Yes, they have a bypass.

If you still want to use safety wire the filter add a hose clamp around the filter.

Might be a way to save some bucks, but use this info at your own risk. ;)

Gotta love home builders and their ingenuity. :yes:

Only experimental can take advantage of this.

FWIW - I use the filter for the Honda Civic on my Honda motorcycle. Motorcyclists get ripped too.

Not trying to be too critical, but would you trust your life or at least your engine to red locktite? I want a good mechanical connection.

Ingenuity is great when you're in the middle of Africa, but come on the risk just isn't worth the $15 delta where parts are readily available. That also doesn't account for your time rigging the thing either.

If someone really wants to do this then machine a proper adapter block.

Last edited:
To each his own. Personally, what I'd do is a remote filter setup and using an aappropriate filter for it that just bolts right on. But if he can save $10+ per oil change and is happy, go for it. :thumbsup:

Of course, us certified guys can't.

The bigger cost driver in an oil change is the oil itself, and as we know aircraft oils leave something to be desired. What I'd be more interested in is options for improved oils that might allow longer intervals, provide better corrosion protection, etc.

To each his own. Personally, what I'd do is a remote filter setup and using an aappropriate filter for it that just bolts right on. But if he can save $10+ per oil change and is happy, go for it. :thumbsup:

The bigger cost driver in an oil change is the oil itself, and as we know aircraft oils leave something to be desired. What I'd be more interested in is options for improved oils that might allow longer intervals, provide better corrosion protection, etc.
Is it possible (and legal) to "roll your own"? For exmple use Shell (or whatever Lyc or Conti recommends), then add high performance oils from other industries (car/motorcycle/boat racing or endurance) as the other 40% to "top off" the oil, thereby gaining the protective qualities in some of these oils?

Simple solution: Use a basic good quality aviation oil, and an additive: X/C 20-50 with Camguard comes to mind.....

Yup..... A remote oil filter is ALOT easier to replace and ALOT less of a mess from the spilled oil....

For an item that is changed often you would have thought the engineers designing aircraft motors would have placed the filter in a more logical location.....

Thank god for experimentals...:yes::yes: :)

Attachments

• Picture_204.jpg
    Picture_204.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture_229.jpg
    Picture_229.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 37
Not trying to be too critical, but would you trust your life or at least your engine to red locktite? I want a good mechanical connection.
how do you suppose the stud is retained in the champion "aircraft" filter ?

Is it possible (and legal) to "roll your own"? For exmple use Shell (or whatever Lyc or Conti recommends), then add high performance oils from other industries (car/motorcycle/boat racing or endurance) as the other 40% to "top off" the oil, thereby gaining the protective qualities in some of these oils?

Well, the big thing would be making sure you meet the required oil specs in order to be legal. So I think that would be difficult to do legally. We know what happened with Mobil's attempt, although there is a lot of controversy as to why.

Simple solution: Use a basic good quality aviation oil, and an additive: X/C 20-50 with Camguard comes to mind.....

That's what I do, and I think it's the best option we have in the certified world. Keep in mind that still leaves you with a base oil that could be improved significantly and lacks other properties from an ideal oil, though.

Yup..... A remote oil filter is ALOT easier to replace and ALOT less of a mess from the spilled oil....

For an item that is changed often you would have thought the engineers designing aircraft motors would have placed the filter in a more logical location.....

I never understood why they put the oil filter where they did given the inherent mess you'll always have. I also had no say in that decision, which was made before I was born. Plus the oil filter can't be filled prior to install like I do in my car and minimize the lack of oil during that first start.

On the 310, we put remote mount setups. That eliminated the factory screens (really? Screens?) And also put the filters in a much more serviceable location. I'll be changing my oil this weekend or next prior to heading to Wings.

That looks easier than most cars

ah good old National Aviation Parts Association (NAPA)

ah good old National Aviation Parts Association (NAPA)

I watched a guy replace the $200 voltage regulator on a Cessna 150 with a $15 one from NAPA. He forgot to take the sticker off and I raised heck with him for years. :rofl:

He told me the only difference is the certified part is dipped in something. Tom would know. :yes:

Ingenuity is great when you're in the middle of Africa, but come on the risk just isn't worth the $15 delta where parts are readily available. That also doesn't account for your time rigging the thing either.

If someone really wants to do this then machine a proper adapter block.

You point is taken. :D

The locktite is only if you need it. Some applications have male threads on the engine.

For those of us that fly a lot savings could be $100 or more a year. ;)

You point is taken. :D

The locktite is only if you need it. Some applications have male threads on the engine.

For those of us that fly a lot savings could be $100 or more a year. ;)

Which really, if you fly a lot then $100 is a pretty small amount of savings. It does all add up, of course.

I think that so long as you've got some assurance regarding the features as well as the quality that an automotive filter is a pretty low-risk item. My preference would be to just do a remote-mount setup, though.

Which really, if you fly a lot then $100 is a pretty small amount of savings. It does all add up, of course.

I think that so long as you've got some assurance regarding the features as well as the quality that an automotive filter is a pretty low-risk item. My preference would be to just do a remote-mount setup, though.

I'm not rushing out to NAPA just yet. ;)

:lol:

Guys.............. The vast majority of the oil filters are made by the Wix Corporation in Gastonia NC.... In fact I am gonna guess it is over 90%.... They relabel filters to each retailers needs.. To meet the required specs of that retailer they will add/ modify the fliter media, case structure and other unique features demanded by the contract.....

In the 40 + years of automotive , marine and heavy industrial markets I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a filter fail... After cutting apart hundreds I can also say that the media filtering material is always adaquate, some are just slightly better then others. In fact there was a certain manufacter that speced out a multi pleated media that was functional at operating temps was but restrictive when the oil was cold..

During the R&D of that pleat design it was determined that that media would cause issues during start ups at temps below freezing and quickly changed their specs before any made it to the dealers shelves. YMMV.

Last edited:
I watched a guy replace the $200 voltage regulator on a Cessna 150 with a $15 one from NAPA. He forgot to take the sticker off and I raised heck with him for years. :rofl:

He told me the only difference is the certified part is dipped in something. Tom would know. :yes:

That and, as i understand it, the PMA number stamped on the part.

Good info, Ben.

I use Tempest filters on the 310. A bit cheaper than Champion, supposedly equal or better filtering, and also have an internal magnet. I like the safety wire feature on aircraaft filters, even though it's probably unnecessary from a practical perspective.

That and, as i understand it, the PMA number stamped on the part.

Like the relay for the surface boots on the 310? $3,100 from Parker. New relay itself (the part that broke) $2.98 from DigiKey.

Izzat a Ford engine?

Izzat a 4" belt drive? Looks like a neat set-up.

Back