Name this place...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
Where is this? Listening to the horns below, you'd think it was NYC, but you'd be wrong.

Attachments

• P6220038.JPG
    P6220038.JPG
    604.6 KB · Views: 84
The architecture suggests Asia but there is slight colonial influence...French perhaps? The geography suggests the low country. River delta...SE Asia. Could be Thailand to Viet.

? Suzhow China. It's in the open plain, Yangtze river looking-basin.

Where is this? Listening to the horns below, you'd think it was NYC, but you'd be wrong.

Some third world rathole, they all look the same to me anymore. From the looks, I'd say India or SE Asia

Henning, thanks for the laugh. You have a penchant to cut right through the crap. Do you bark at the waitress who put an umbrella in your drink?

I nominate you as the next Steve McQueen. I'm thinking his role in, The Sand Pebbles.

Last edited:
Henning, thanks for the laugh. You have a penchant to cut right through the crap. Do you bark at the waitress who put an umbrella in your drink?
They do that at the Waffle House?

:goofy:

Lots of good guesses, and in general not far off the mark.

Fire up Google Earth and feed in 20 degrees, 2 minutes, 59.39 seconds N and 105 degrees, 20 minutes, 24.53 seconds E and zoom in. This is the view, looking NE, from my hotel room in Hanoi.

Lots of good guesses, and in general not far off the mark.

Fire up Google Earth and feed in 20 degrees, 2 minutes, 59.39 seconds N and 105 degrees, 20 minutes, 24.53 seconds E and zoom in. This is the view, looking NE, from my hotel room in Hanoi.
Something is not quite right with your lat long reading. I show that location as being jungle outside of Hanoi.

Best wishes from us over here to you over there!

-Skip

Yup.

Something is not quite right with your lat long reading. I show that location as being jungle outside of Hanoi.

Best wishes from us over here to you over there!

-Skip

Interesting. My copy of Google Earth came up with that lat/long with the cursor centered on my hotel.

That said, that's the Red River in the foreground.

Meetings with US Embassy personnel and local regulators tomorrow. I'd go sightseeing on Tuesday before my 11:30 PM flight to ICN, but it is so stinking hot and humid that I'll probably just stay at the hotel, check out late and head for the airport. Not a very useful way to spend the day, but I was dripping on our tour today.

An interesting comment by our tour guide yesterday. The government renamed Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City. It is commonly called that in the north, but the people in the south still routinely call it Saigon. Guess you can't completely re-train everyone.

An interesting comment by our tour guide yesterday. The government renamed Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City. It is commonly called that in the north, but the people in the south still routinely call it Saigon. Guess you can't completely re-train everyone.

Someone should have told Mao and Pol Pot that...

Back