Name that snake

Anymouse

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Total Stud Bush Pilot
Anymouse don't do snakes, but I found this one sunning himself in my yard.

Any snake experts out there??

IMG_1062.JPG

100% a copperhead. We have them sumbeeches all over this place.

Dang! Didn't think it was a poisonous snake when I spotted him. Glad I asked. Might have to run him off.

And actually, his head is raised a bit looking at me. He didn't move a bit when I approached him.

The hour glass pattern and 'copper' head means it's a copperhead. Killed one last spring in my backyard, very dangerous and claims the most bites off all snakes as they live where humans do. My backyard abuts the woods which they like, and rocks. Be careful killing it or it'll get you first.

Actually, copperheads are among the least dangerous of the venomous snakes in North America. I sure don't want to get bitten by one, but if I had to choose, I'd rather it be a copperhead than its cousin, the cottonmouth.

Well, Bob ain't out there anymore. At least, he's not in the same spot.

I did just cut the grass on Thursday, but I didn't spot any snakes. Not that I was specifically looking.

I'm really hoping he hasn't taken up residence under my deck. It's rather close to the ground (like 6-8"). There's something, possibly multiple somethings living under there. I was thinking more like field mice might be under there. I've seen several in the yard, but have never been able to trace them back under the deck. Rectifying that problem is on my to-do list. Might have to move the time line up a tad.

I've seen several in the yard, but have never been able to trace them back under the deck. Rectifying that problem is on my to-do list. Might have to move the time line up a tad.

That copperhead might have already taken care of your field mice problem. :D

I take it easy on the snakes around here, Garter and a few 'copper bellies'. I would be getting rid of that snake. I killed a copperhead in MO many years ago.

It may be one thing if you are out hiking in the bush, but you don't want him around the home.

I'm not a pro but I think you want to avoid 'things they can hide under', like an upside down kiddie pool or grill cover, you know, things you wouldn't think much about. but when u go to pick them up, WHAM, snake fangs in the ankle......burning sensation.......getting dizzy.....slurring speech.......heart rate racing.......bleeding from the eyes........boom your dead. that's pretty much how it happens, at least in the movies.

Actually, copperheads are among the least dangerous of the venomous snakes in North America. I sure don't want to get bitten by one, but if I had to choose, I'd rather it be a copperhead than its cousin, the cottonmouth.

Don't know why you least say dangerous. They are dangerous if you walk near one. And they have the most snake bites every year. Agree about mocs, those bastards will actually chase you. Every time I see that scene in Lonesome Dove where the horse and rider gets attacked in the creek by a nest of them gives me the creeps. Killed a baby cottonmouth in my pool years ago. My son was actually swimming and this thing following him. Thankfully one of his little buddies came and got me out of the house. Got it into skimmer and use pruning shears on it. And it was white inside the mouth so I knew right away it was bad news. Never did find mama or any of it's siblings but I knew they had to be around somewhere.

I agree, that copperhead may have already fixed the mouse/rat problem. Once the mice are gone, so are the snakes.

Yep. Copperhead. We fly more of them every year than any other snake bite. Not very aggressive though. Most bites occur when people stumble on them in the woods. Mostly like rocky areas.

It would be great if that copperhead took care of the field mouse issue, but ones I've seen are about 3-4" long. I don't think that little fella could take one of those in. If it wasn't a venomous snake, I really wouldn't be too worried. I'd still get the creeps like I always do, but I wouldn't be too worried. I know they're all around me. I just don't want to see them or have them right underfoot.

I might just take a trip to the blue or orange store this week and see if they have something I can put into the ground to block access under my deck, and looks somewhat decorative. Need to put it deep enough that they would be discouraged from digging holes under it.

If you startle them, they put out a musky funk smell. Once you smell it, you are too close. It's basically saying, " Hey *******, I'm about to pump you full so leave me the F alone, em kay?"

I've lived on big acreages for most of my adult life. Right now I'm in the middle of 160 acres. We have copperheads, rattlesnakes, and cottonmouths (water moccasins to the unschooled).

The only one that concerns me is the cottonmouth because if you run into them in a field they will stand their ground. This because they are not in the water (their more comfortable & natural habitat) and feel uncomfortable. Both rattlesnakes and copperheads are typically going in the other direction before you even see them. That is if you have a clue about staying aware of your surroundings when you're out in nature.

Also, copperheads are the least poisonous of the three. Additionally, keep in mind that many times a snake will give a "warning strike" first...i.e. a dry bite, no venom. That should get your attention, if not, well...then you might deserve the second hit.

Children are easily schooled to respect snakes because humans have an innate fear of serpents.

I've never killed a snake and those who think the only good snake is a dead snake should stay in the concrete jungles and leave nature to those who understand it.

I've got what I believe to be a blacksnake shedding its skin in the attic above my garage the last two springs. I don't mind it,as I've never seen it in real life only finding skin. My grandpa always said they were a farmers friend. But I'm not a farmer. I'd leave it be if I knew fore sure he would leave my kids alone. The garage is attached to the house, I'd rather him stay out there

Yeah probably a Black Racer. Got one around my house. Good for keeping the rodent population down.

This is my buddy, Blackie. A 54" black rat snake (7 years ago...he's much bigger now, about 66"). He keeps the garage free of mice. He also keeps the yard fairly free from chipmunks (ground squirrels).

He and I are bestest friends! ;)

This same snake still hangs out around the house every summer, it's as much his home as it is mine.

And, yes, I pick him up, I play with him, I measure him, then I turn him loose to go on about his business. He used to not like it much but he's grown accustomed to is. He doesn't even try to escape when I walk up to him like he did in the early days.

house 005.JPG

Copperheads aren't all that aggressive but 2 times a year: 1. When they first come out of their dens (hungry). 2. When they shed their skin (they're blind).
I have one that suns himself on my sidewalk. Near record size. Doesn't even move when I walk past, and when he is there I never have to worry about Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or door to door sales people.

Number of snake varieties which actively pursue people? Zero
Number of people bitten solely because they were playing with a snake, or were meandering around with their head up their azz*? Almost all of them. (* @SCCutler got to witness me in this state once, my fault.)
Number of snakes killed out of ignorance ("It's a snake, it must die") when in fact some of those killed are not a danger to domestic animals or humans, kill vermin, and may actually prey on venomous snakes? Well, you get the idea.
The only time I had a potentially hazardous rattlesnake presence around the house or barn was when we were storing grain to feed wildlife after a rangefire. Some spilled, and we were pretty busy with stuff at the time so rodents got into it. Then we had snakes going after the rodents. Our fault. They do like to hide under lumber/firewood/etc as noted above so take care of that too.

A copperhead the dogs were altering to in our yard in N GA, dispatched with a shot load:

26671897811_f04d5e4c26_z.jpg

Went to a arts and craft thing, I think in Blairsville GA. Nearby creek had a bunch of copperheads sunning on rocks. No one was swimming needless to say.

In Alabama we have 2 types of copperhead. Southern portion of the state has the bigger one, 3-5' while the northern half has the one that around 2-3'. Bama has all the rattlesnakes, cottonmouths galore, and copperheads you'd want. Not sure about coral snakes though. A town in South Alabama has a rattlesnake rodeo every year, Opp AL. I think winter months they go into their holes and pull them out for the rodeo. I'm guessing they keep them til the rodeo, I dunno. Even eat 'em! Rattlesnake meat, I think from the tail.

Last edited:
Yeah probably a Black Racer. Got one around my house. Good for keeping the rodent population down.

I have a ton (seems like it) of chipmunks and a black racer (I think) so he must be slacking on the job!

Copperheads aren't all that aggressive but 2 times a year: 1. When they first come out of their dens (hungry). 2. When they shed their skin (they're blind).
I have one that suns himself on my sidewalk. Near record size. Doesn't even move when I walk past, and when he is there I never have to worry about Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or door to door sales people.

Yeah, but then there are the crazy pentecostal types who will want to handle him to prove god loves and protects them from serpents.

My wife is one that wants to kill all snakes, but she is from the land of the two-stepper variety of snakes. I have pretty much got her to agree not to kill snakes until I look at them. The few I have found around the house, and the one in my garage, were all caught and released in a better area.

I took her to a rattle snake farm (for the venom) to let her see some really big rattle snakes. I don't think she will forget that sound.

Back