Name Nicks Dog

Name the dog Cut.

Then when they go down down the street people will say "Here comes Nick and Cut!"

How 'bout "Pitot?"

SkyHog said:
The dog has been named. His name is Piper, and he seems to already respond to it. What a great dog!

Now to get him to stop peeing on the carpet :D At least he already poops outside.

Great name!!!

Can't help with the peeing stuff other than to get him on schedule to go out and make sure he pees then. When he has an accident in the house be firm with your voice to let him know he did something wrong but not abusive with him.

judypilot said:
Brand P dog. Sigh.

I wanted to name him Cessna,
Judy
I have a friend who named his third daughter Cessna. I think the kid may have to grow up tough.

Trying to stay aviation related --- Here it goes :)

Piper
Archer
PAX
REIL
VASI
CAVU

Hey Nick;
For the peeing part, try spraying "WOOLITE PET & ODOR REMOVER". It should stop him from reusing that spot for a few days. Once he's on a regular schedule, you won't need it.

NC Pilot said:
I have a friend who named his third daughter Cessna. I think the kid may have to grow up tough.

I know him too. He SWEARS that he did NOT name her after the plane company. Neither his wife nor I believe him one teeny little bit.:no:

And I been around his kids maybe she shoulda been named Aerostar.
Whadda handful they are.:yes:

SkyHog said:
Now to get him to stop peeing on the carpet :D At least he already poops outside.

I found myself getting frustrated training my dog. Mostly because I kept trying to make him wait a lil longer to go outside. Everytime I'd say to myself "He can wait just another minute...", the lil guy would read my mind and pee on the nearest patch of carpet he could find.

AirBaker said:
I found myself getting frustrated training my dog. Mostly because I kept trying to make him wait a lil longer to go outside. Everytime I'd say to myself "He can wait just another minute...", the lil guy would read my mind and pee on the nearest patch of carpet he could find.
It sounds like he's trying to train YOU. And YOU are just not getting it.

IMHO nothing works faster to house train a dog than kennel/crate training. Don't get one too big or they just pee in it. It needs to be just big enough to stand up and turn around in. They sleep in it at night, go directly outside in the morning, and they stay in it when mom/dad isn't home. I've trained all my dogs this way and never had a problem. It makes it MUCH easier to travel as well. I use the command "kennel up" every time they go in the kennel, and since they were all used to it from puppyhood, they never had a problem going right in when I told them too. It makes for a good "safe" place for them when they get stressed too, and you'll find if you leave the door open when it's empty, some will retire to the kennel on their own when they are stressed or want quiet time.

Some people think it's cruel, but it's only working with their natural instinct to den, and as long as you don't leave them locked up for long periods of time, it's fine. One thing NOT to do though is make a big deal everytime you open the door to let him out. Calmly take him outside to pee and THEN make the big deal about him being such a good boy for going where he's suppose to. If you do it right, you'll find they start heading for the door as soon as you let them out because they become conditioned to do that.

ausrere said:
IMHO nothing works faster to house train a dog than kennel/crate training. Don't get one too big or they just pee in it. It needs to be just big enough to stand up and turn around in. They sleep in it at night, go directly outside in the morning, and they stay in it when mom/dad isn't home. I've trained all my dogs this way and never had a problem. It makes it MUCH easier to travel as well. I use the command "kennel up" every time they go in the kennel, and since they were all used to it from puppyhood, they never had a problem going right in when I told them too. It makes for a good "safe" place for them when they get stressed too, and you'll find if you leave the door open when it's empty, some will retire to the kennel on their own when they are stressed or want quiet time.

Some people think it's cruel, but it's only working with their natural instinct to den, and as long as you don't leave them locked up for long periods of time, it's fine. One thing NOT to do though is make a big deal everytime you open the door to let him out. Calmly take him outside to pee and THEN make the big deal about him being such a good boy for going where he's suppose to. If you do it right, you'll find they start heading for the door as soon as you let them out because they become conditioned to do that.

We did exactly the same thing with our dogs, and it worked beautifully.

ausrere said:

That's exactly what I'm trying. I feel so bad when the dog starts whining when he goes in tho. Its only 2 days, so I'll give it some more time. Its pretty heart wrenching tho. I have faith that it will work.

But you're right. Every one of my friends has started complaining that i'm being cruel. I explain the den thing and they don't get it. It doesn't bother me too much, but I don't like people thinking I'm cruel.

I'm gonna give it a few weeks to see if he gets used to it, and if not, I'll find something else to do.

Nick....Im sure Piper misses his siblings. Buy a cd of a rain (NO thunderstorms) or the ocean and play it for him. It will calm him down.

If the male puppy seems to know it's bearings around the hanger call it "Compass"
If it a female that seems to wander off, and get lost, call it
"Earheart"

(no subliminal male/female flaming intended)

SkyHog said:
That's exactly what I'm trying. I feel so bad when the dog starts whining when he goes in tho. Its only 2 days, so I'll give it some more time. Its pretty heart wrenching tho. I have faith that it will work.

But you're right. Every one of my friends has started complaining that i'm being cruel. I explain the den thing and they don't get it. It doesn't bother me too much, but I don't like people thinking I'm cruel.

I'm gonna give it a few weeks to see if he gets used to it, and if not, I'll find something else to do.

One of the things to remember when dealing with dogs is that any attention you give them is a reward...even yelling 'NO' at them. So when he whines, the absolute best thing you can do is totally ignore him. Don't yell NO at him for whining, he'll just figure out that if he whines, you pay attention. You can also put a really light sheet over the kennel at first so he can't see you. If he can see you he'll whine. It also helps to find a toy he really likes. I always used the kong rubber toys and I put a little peanut butter in them. They spend for ever trying to get the peanut butter out and forget they are in the kennel. It's also a good chew toy. Just make sure the toy you pick is something they can't swallow or choke on. Some people feed their dogs exclusively in the kennel so it becomes a positive place from the start as well.

And ignore the people who try to tell you it's cruel. It's like explaining to people who aren't in to flying that a small plane is perfectly safe. They just don't get it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion about the Kong Toys. The only time give him a "Nein" when he's in the cage is when he starts to bite the cage. Maybe I should stop that too.

SkyHog said:
Thanks for the suggestion about the Kong Toys. The only time give him a "Nein" when he's in the cage is when he starts to bite the cage. Maybe I should stop that too.

I would. The chew toy in the crate might help, if it doesn't you might try some bitter apple spray or "Chew No More" type spray on the bars so that when he does bite it, he doesn't like it much.

ausrere said:
I would. The chew toy in the crate might help, if it doesn't you might try some bitter apple spray or "Chew No More" type spray on the bars so that when he does bite it, he doesn't like it much.

I'm gonna go get a kong today. Also, he acts much better with the blanket over the crate too. Thanks!

Will try the sprays if necessary.

Back