ARTanzer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ARTanzer
Looking for some additional details about a problem I ran into.

I recently married and had all my official documents (Driver's License, Passport, Social) all updated to my married name. My Airmen Certificate (PPL) still reflects my maiden name - the closest FSDO is an hour north and I'll have to go there to present my marriage cert for positive identification. I'm coming up on my instrument check ride, and the examiner is saying I'll need to get my PPL updated to reflect my name change before I'm eligible to fly. What regs exist on this? My DPE had never run into this issue before me, and I'm hoping to get the process completed as quickly as possible.

I'm check ride ready now, and had my exam originally scheduled for tomorrow before filling out IACRA and discovering the discrepancy.

Thanks!

Have you called the FSDO? This seems like something that should be easily resolved by mail/fax. After all, you applied for the license by mail, didn't you? If they were that worried about positive ID, we would have had to apply in person and present ID.

I'm thinking that the worst case is that you write up an afadavit explaining the reason for name change and have it notarized, then send it along with a copy of the marriage certificate for proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the FAA site says that you need to visit an FSDO for a name change. That doesn't make sense since you didn't need to appear at a FSDO in person to get the original PPL.

Name Change
To obtain a new airman certificate that reflects a legal name change, you must appear at an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for positive identification You must present to an FAA Inspector either a:
  • photocopy of a marriage license
  • court order
  • other valid legal document verifying the name change

That doesn't make sense since you didn't need to appear at a FSDO in person to get the original PPL.
The FAA is a government organization. You are putting way too much faith in their logical abilities. Just like other government organizations, it is full of people who weren't competent enough to get a better-paying job in the private sector.

Lawyers, chime in? If I recall, you can call yourself by any name you like, and aren't limited to just one, as long as you aren't doing so for purposes of fraud? And you don't need to "legally" change your name, just begin using the "new" one.

Back