[na] WiFi Home Thermostats [na]

While doing our company's annual e-security training last week, they had a section that mentioned disabling or unplugging Alexa/Echo type devices when on a company related call. That's the first time I've seen that called out specifically.
I don't think disabling would be enough. If the device is compromised, the attacker could easily turn the lights red to indicate it's not listening and still get the audio stream. The only way to be reasonably sure would be to unplug it. Bear in mind that I'm talking about what the device is capable of under software control by someone other than Amazon, not how it was designed or is advertised or intended to behave.

I've been using Tekmar wifi thermostats for a while now.

li
If you want a smart thermostat with a line voltage heating situation, you could add a control transformer and contactor. But most people don't have the skills to do that easily.

Paul
Smart line voltage thermostat are available. Mysa is a popular brand but there are bunches of them out there.

Finally had a chance to run down to the GA house and install the Honeywell thermostat.

52553574499_6e29e89abf.jpg

Pretty straightforward, but had to contact the Honeywell support chat line - we had an orange wire running to an “O/B” terminal on the old thermostat, with nothing quite corresponding to that on the Honeywell. We had the white running to the “W O/B” terminal. After a bit of back-and-forth, this response got us straightened out: “You would wire it RED-R ORANGE-O/B YELLOW-Y GREEN-G WHITE-W2 AUX/E GREEN-C”. That seemed to work, at least on heat - I forgot to try it out on air conditioning. Connecting it to WiFi was painless, as was downloading and linking the app.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and guidance - it really helped.

To set it up, you have to give Honeywell access to your internal home network (WTF???)
I have a separate IoT SSID setup which has internet access but is firewalled from the rest of the LAN. This allows all of the connected devices to have their internet access but keeps them separate from my home network.

I have a Nest in my hangar - so far works great - over two years now

I have a separate IoT SSID setup which has internet access but is firewalled from the rest of the LAN. This allows all of the connected devices to have their internet access but keeps them separate from my home network.
You are talking airline captain speak to a guy barely familiar with powered parachutes.

Nest had a bad run of smart thermostats. I installed one for my mom & dad 2 years ago and it failed a week later. We live on opposites coasts so one of my cousin's son (who happens to be an HVAC tech) fixed it for them. I think it was replaced for free under warrantee.

If you want a smart thermostat with a line voltage heating situation, you could add a control transformer and contactor. But most people don't have the skills to do that easily.

Paul

Nest and Ecobee both have instructions on how to do this. But, I wouldn't trust my brother-in-law to get it right.

My work gave me a Nest Learning thermostat about 14months ago. Wasn't looking for one, but it was free. So Installed it. I did like being able to set and monitor it from my phone. I also liked the "Away" Feature where it would Raise or lower the temperature as appropriate when I was not at the house. However I found configuring the "Away" Feature to work with multiple devices to be very confusing. It worked well for me, but I don't think I ever got it working properly for my wife, and finally just turned the feature off unless she was going to be away for an extended period.

Last week it went offline and I could no longer access it via my phone. A little checking and found it said it had a " Low battery" apparently a fairly common issue. I charged it and it worked for a couple days and the issue returned. Repeated and same thing. So per Google.com/youtube recommendations I added a 24V transformer to Power the "C" Wire. It had worked over a year without a "C" wire. It worked for about a day with the transformer and then would not turn the heat on. It would say it was on when it wasn't. Rechecked the wiring and reset the Nest and it started working again for a few hours and then the wife called and said it wasn't working again. Removed it from the wall, tried it without the 24V transformer "C" wire power it worked for about 3 minutes and then the furnace shut off. Replaced it with my original Honeywell non-wifi thermostat and all is working ok again.

Of course I am about 6-8 weeks past the one year warranty on the Nest, so it will likely go in the garbage. Not sure the features were worth buying another Wifi thermostat, it probably wont' be a "Nest" if I do, I might eventually look into the Honeywell Wifi Thermostat mentioned in this thread.

Brian

I have had a WIFI Honeywell thermostat in my house for a couple of years at least. It works fine UNTIL the cable (internet) drops out. This happens very infrequently (usually in storms) in which case the thermostat reverts to its programed settings. All functions are still available at the device itself, of course. I like the monthly summaries of heating/cooling times sent by Honeywell to compare my with my utility bill!

Honeywell is working great so far. We’re in TN and it’s easy to check what our downstairs renters in GA have the thermostat set on and the overall weather conditions:

52609466901_7e5284ba44.jpg

The whole setup, both thermostat and app, seem a little more intuitive than the Nest and we’re happy with our choice.

Back