[NA] Where to live near Atlanta? [NA]

Haze is normal here in the South, especially in the late summer. Went up on Friday late afternoon and the Metar had a weather alert i hadn't seen in real life before..."FU". Of course I knew what it meant but when I got up to 3k ft.....man, i am here to tell you, I seriously reconsidered whether or not I should be up flying (VFR only). Viz was saying P6 but not sure that was accurate especially flying west into the sun. LOL. I guess that smoke from Oregon finally made its way here or something.

Summer haze and heat makes Atlanta flying fun for sure.

As for the drivers....get used to people riding your bumper even at 80mph, "we dont need no stinking turn signals" is the prevailing mindset in Atlanta and be prepared for the likely event that you will be doing 80mph 1 minute and then down to 0mph within seconds from stopped cars in front of you stuck in traffic. I swear i am more worried about that than anything...getting rear ended going from 80mph to 0mph in 100 ft due to traffic jams. People dont gradually slow down it seems sometimes.

CVC is a great airport. Well maintained. Excellent lighting. Good approaches. Reasonable gas price. And most important a great group of pilots hang out there. The city supports the airport realizing it’s an economic generator. However I have nothing encouraging to say about hangars. Tie down is no problem, but new construction of hangars doesn’t seem to be on the near horizon. We have an airport authority that can issue bonds for such construction, but it’s been totally inactive for years.

@Lance F - Do you have any insight into the Bond process? I doubt they would let me just build 1 hanger lol

CVC is a great airport. Well maintained. Excellent lighting. Good approaches. Reasonable gas price. And most important a great group of pilots hang out there. The city supports the airport realizing it’s an economic generator. However I have nothing encouraging to say about hangars. Tie down is no problem, but new construction of hangars doesn’t seem to be on the near horizon. We have an airport authority that can issue bonds for such construction, but it’s been totally inactive for years.
Yeah CVC is great. They have some of the cheapest gas prices around. I use Southern Airgroup there for all my avionics and maintenance work. Great guys and fair prices. Will be there in two weeks dropping off the plane for an annual and a couple of G5s.

dont know about that specific airport, but Re: the hangar situation. My experience is, call the airport where you want to hangar, better yet show up in person, find the manager of the FBO, talk to him and keep pestering him every 2 weeks lol.

the above process worked in KRYY (not cheap, but at least there was one to choose from) and now i am hangered in KLZU ( I would like a bigger one ideally, but thats a first world problem)

@Lance F - Do you have any insight into the Bond process? I doubt they would let me just build 1 hanger lol
When this board was formed many moons ago, I kind of assumed I would be on it since I had chaired a City Council airport advisory committee. I only got a lesson in city politics. All the appointees named were friends of City Council members. I doubt some of them even knew where the airport was. I've avoided this aspect of the airport ever since.

dont know about that specific airport, but Re: the hangar situation. My experience is, call the airport where you want to hangar, better yet show up in person, find the manager of the FBO, talk to him and keep pestering him every 2 weeks lol.

the above process worked in KRYY (not cheap, but at least there was one to choose from) and now i am hangered in KLZU ( I would like a bigger one ideally, but thats a first world problem)

I've Rented from LZU, and am looking to start my IR training up there from TFS once I get my plane situation figured out. FWIW, I the perfect airport location is at FTY but aren't they like $400/mo for a hanger (although, it is FULL SERVICE, right?)

I live off I-20 and Moreland - Driving wise I am equidistant from LZU and CVC. Does LZU have hanger space available at any kind of regular interval? I really like CVC as its a straight shot down I20 for me (don't have to deal with the Connector or I-285) but at the end of the day, both are fine so long as I can find a place to park the plane.

I've Rented from LZU, and am looking to start my IR training up there from TFS once I get my plane situation figured out. FWIW, I the perfect airport location is at FTY but aren't they like $400/mo for a hanger (although, it is FULL SERVICE, right?)

I live off I-20 and Moreland - Driving wise I am equidistant from LZU and CVC. Does LZU have hanger space available at any kind of regular interval? I really like CVC as its a straight shot down I20 for me (don't have to deal with the Connector or I-285) but at the end of the day, both are fine so long as I can find a place to park the plane.

FTY quoted me 500/mo, full service, but no availability and i didnt pester them enough. Re: LZU: I am with Air Harbor, you can get on a wait list by paying 2 months rent that you get back when you vacate. the list is really small because of this payment requirement and only serious people gets on the list. one thing is, if they call you with availability and you dont take it up because you dont have a plane, you forfeit the deposit and you cant just rent the hangar without a plane (at least in Air Harbor)
if you want to get on the list - send them a request from here https://www.airharbor-lzu.com/contact/

or PM me and i will share the email address of the guy who can get you on the list

FTY quoted me 500/mo, full service, but no availability and i didnt pester them enough. Re: LZU: I am with Air Harbor, you can get on a wait list by paying 2 months rent that you get back when you vacate. the list is really small because of this payment requirement and only serious people gets on the list. one thing is, if they call you with availability and you dont take it up because you dont have a plane, you forfeit the deposit and you cant just rent the hangar without a plane (at least in Air Harbor)
if you want to get on the list - send them a request from here https://www.airharbor-lzu.com/contact/

or PM me and i will share the email address of the guy who can get you on the list

Wow - I like this a LOT - keeps the wait list down to a minimum.

How long did it take you to get off of Tie-Downs and into a Hanger?

CVC is nice, but LZU has a Tower and ILS FWIW

How long did it take you to get off of Tie-Downs and into a Hanger?

zero days :p

I moved from Fargo, ND to ATL area this July. i started making phone calls to FTY, LZU and RYY last Nov and got on the list at FTY and RYY. This year May i reached out to RYY and started pestering them and then eventually offered me either the community hanger or a T hangar that had just opened up. i took the community one with full service and paid some pretty penny for it. then we ended up buying a house near Mall of Georgia. after making one drive to RYY from here via 85-285-75 for 55 miles i figured there is no way this isnt going to work. reached out to LZU and got on to their list by paying 2 months rent. next week the guy calls me and says someone left and if i am interested in the small hangar. i jumped at it. had to pay overlapping month to RYY and LZU but i am now settled at LZU.

i am also on the list at various nearby airports, their list is a mile long and i dont expect to hear from them anytime soon if at all, which is fine. I am like 9 miles from LZU.

LZU has other hangar options including county hangars half of which are filled with crap - i have no idea who to contact to see if there is any other availability. there is a tie down option on the north side as well. think they charge like $60/mo or $80 something if you want someone over there to park your plane. I wasnt interested in tie down

Last edited:
Back