[NA] Web Page Problems

wanttaja

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Wanttaja
I normally wouldn't post this here, but due to the pandemic, it's impossible to get support from GoDaddy or Network Solutions. I don't know anything about how domain names work, so will probably supply much more information than is needed.

I have two active web pages:

www.bowersflybaby.com for the Fly Baby stuff, and
www.wanttaja.com as my personal web page.

Both are hosted by GoDaddy, and as far as I can tell, they are basically set up the same. Yet, several days ago, www.wanttaja.com quit working. It doesn't give an error code or anything, it just seems to try to load and load and nothing ever happens.

GoDaddy did a migration for both sites about three weeks back ("new Windows Web Hosting powered by Plesk") and have been working fine. I have www.wanttaja.com set up as my home page, and two days ago, I noticed that nothing would happen if I hit the "home" button.

According to my access page for the domain on Network Solutions, both use the same Domain Name Servers.

The problem does not seem to be in my "index.html" file. Normally I can directly access any of the files in the directory (http://www.wanttaja.com/wheel.jpg, for example) but none of them show, either.

Strangely, though, I can still access both web pages by FTP (using Filezilla) and the email forwarding for both is still working as well (e.g., ron@wanttaja.com still gets to me).

Accessing the IP addresses directly gets different results for the two sites. The Bowersflybaby.com IP address accesses a "Plesk Panel Page" (Plesk is GoDaddy's OS now) after a long delay, but going to the wanttaja.com IP address gives an instant "Page Not Found."

The Plesk desktop on GoDaddy itself includes buttons to preview the web page...works on Bowersflybaby.com, but on wanttaja.com I get a 404 error. I have both Suspended and Disabled the web page from the Plesk instrument panel....neither seems to make a difference, once the function is reversed.

I'm suspecting either the Domain Name Server has been messed up (Although it works fine for the Fly Baby page) or the IP address is messed up somehow.

Can anyone give me some pointers of things to try until the support functions are restored?

Ron Wanttaja

I nmap'd it and found the ports supposedly opened, but a direct wget for index.html, index.php or index.htm all returned "503 Service unavailable." If the Web server component isn't running on that particular (probably virtual) server, it's still possible for email and for FTP to work. The latter are handled differently. The email is probably handled by a completely different machine, possibly in a different physical location.

This is definitely a GoDaddy problem, and you'll have to keep trying their support. If it was apache, I'd SSH into it and check the status. But you indicated that they might have switched to a Windows-based server.

I nmap'd it and found the ports supposedly opened, but a direct wget for index.html, index.php or index.htm all returned "503 Service unavailable." If the Web server component isn't running on that particular (probably virtual) server, it's still possible for email and for FTP to work. The latter are handled differently. The email is probably handled by a completely different machine, possibly in a different physical location.

This is definitely a GoDaddy problem, and you'll have to keep trying their support. If it was apache, I'd SSH into it and check the status. But you indicated that they might have switched to a Windows-based server.
Thanks, it sounds it wasn't anything I did, or could fix. GoDaddy has removed their chat system, but the phone line still seems to be up (with long wait times). Guess I'll set up the speaker phone and fiddle on stuff while waiting.

Ron Wanttaja

Any luck with GoDaddy?
Going to try this afternoon. I'm trying to draw Lewis Gun parts in Solidworks, will have the phone in speaker mode while I'm working. The "wanttaja.com" outage isn't much of an issue, as long as my Fly Baby page stays live.

Ron Wanttaja

Back