[NA]WannaCry/EternalBlue[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Did it affect many US systems?
Some sites suggest you have to open an email, then an exe to be infected; others do not.
Does r-ware often affect small biz / individuals or do they always go for larger organizations?
All my machines have been on auto-update - it is suggested an MS patch from March protects users.

The owner of a local computer shop I know, has at least one customer come in daily with ransomware.

We spend a lot of money at the office buying software to protect these fragile poorly written operating systems with more fragile poorly written anti-virus and anti-malware.

We've had one instance of real malware getting "inside" via a machine that wasn't updating the security software correctly. It tried to attack everything else and the security software stopped it, but it essentially caused a denial of service attack because the security software on every desktop wouldn't shut up until the offending system was yanked off the networks.

all the old windows not supported now are at risk.....still a ton of XP out there.....I would be upgrading asap

all the old windows not supported now are at risk.....still a ton of XP out there.....I would be upgrading asap
Malwarebytes claims their "pro" version will stop this attack. It might be cheaper than upgrading an OS that works well for you and on which you have valuable legacy systems running.

To the best of my knowledge (and experience) Malwarebytes is one of the better software packages. But I still can't shake the idea that the AV software companies are in some way promoting these viruses to enhance sales.

How long will it take to track the perps down ?
Or is that even possible ?

Last time we had the FBI in for a fraud case, they said they're so backed up in computer fraud that unless there was a proven $3M loss or higher, they didn't even look at the case. They just go in the pile.

They were working our case at the special request of Microsoft and a credit card company, as it wasn't $3M. The agent said he was surprised he was even allowed to touch it.

Of course if a bad hombre ticks off a Senator, I suppose someone will work on it harder than average.

So, if you can get someone to look, and there's a money trail, then it usually leads to a country with no interest in policing computer crime and/or no interest in extradition. And it dies there.

If it's someone dumb enough to do it domestically, they'll get caught eventually. But they'll have to get really greedy to even get noticed. Or caught up in stings of criminal groups.

Well, Microsoft doesn't get a pass with me, not after the last week. Windows 10 Pro updates on its own, can't defer or turn off the security and some feature updates (can defer major revisions).

So last week I had the computer running something and MS managed to download and install the updates automatically. Then it rebooted on its own withou asking or prompting - and it didn't properly close files or program execution int the process. This resulted in a bunch of corrupt files, both from the project at hand and Outlook (a MS product). Took me about 6 hours to clean everything up and rerun the project.

I discovered this morning that something MS did in the update also disabled the firewall in Eset. Couldn't restart from Eset and the MS firewall control panel said it was being managed by Eset. The system wasn't reporting the firewall disabled, but ESET's control panel reports it. I ended up having to reinstall Eset and everything is fine. From Eset support, it appears that MS changed or reinstalled network drivers and disabled the Eset drivers in the process.

This very well could have resulted in a Trojan spreading on the network. Problem solved, but yet one more thing that needs to be checked because of MS update policy. My Apple stuff has yet to have any update problems.

The admins shouldn't get a pass, either. A professionally run shop? This doesn't happen. Yeah, the current OS and network state of the art makes these things possible. But it doesn't make them inevitable. OPM was incompetent, and they waited way too long to fire their CIO. Same with VA, same with major retailers, etc. And for this one, any hospital that got burned should be called out as negligent - which they are.

Malwarebytes claims their "pro" version will stop this attack. It might be cheaper than upgrading an OS that works well for you and on which you have valuable legacy systems running.

To the best of my knowledge (and experience) Malwarebytes is one of the better software packages. But I still can't shake the idea that the AV software companies are in some way promoting these viruses to enhance sales.
No offense meant, but this is not accurate. The best defense against malware is to run a supported operating system and keep it updated. These attacks are backward engineered from known flaws. These "valuable" legacy systems should be upgraded or replaced. At the very least, they should be isolated and only accessed as needed. I do this for a living and have seen this attitude result in significant data and financial loss too many times to keep track of. Malwarebytes, at best is several hours behind the attacks, at best (and these antivirus companies vary on who is first to market with the fix). Put your dollars in proactive prevention. Stay current and apply the security updates as recommended.

Well, Microsoft doesn't get a pass with me, not after the last week. Windows 10 Pro updates on its own, can't defer or turn off the security and some feature updates (can defer major revisions).

So last week I had the computer running something and MS managed to download and install the updates automatically. Then it rebooted on its own withou asking or prompting - and it didn't properly close files or program execution int the process. This resulted in a bunch of corrupt files, both from the project at hand and Outlook (a MS product). Took me about 6 hours to clean everything up and rerun the project.

I discovered this morning that something MS did in the update also disabled the firewall in Eset. Couldn't restart from Eset and the MS firewall control panel said it was being managed by Eset. The system wasn't reporting the firewall disabled, but ESET's control panel reports it. I ended up having to reinstall Eset and everything is fine. From Eset support, it appears that MS changed or reinstalled network drivers and disabled the Eset drivers in the process.

This very well could have resulted in a Trojan spreading on the network. Problem solved, but yet one more thing that needs to be checked because of MS update policy. My Apple stuff has yet to have any update problems.

The ability to schedule updates and defer upgrades alone makes Win10 Pro worth it. I usually install the security updates within minutes after they become available (and never more than an hour), but those few minutes allow me the opportunity to close my work and refresh the backups.

As for WannaCry, Homeland Security sent me this yesterday. It doesn't make up for the NSA's hand in this whole mess, but the information is concise and well-organized.

Rich

You've been lucky. BTDT on all of the modern OSs. Have backups.

One thing I'd like to add is to protect the backups. WannaCry et al can encrypt backups if they're accessible to the Windows machine being backed up, regardless of the OS running on the backup location. So the fact that you're storing your backups on a Unix/Linux or Mac machine doesn't prevent them from being encrypted and held hostage. The machine itself won't be infected, but the backups will become unusable despite the host system's immunity.

If the immune machine makes versioned copies of the backups to a path on itself (or another immune server) that is not accessible by the Windows machine(s), however, those backups should be pretty safe. None of the current ransomware that I know of will execute on a 'Nix machine, so paths accessible only to the 'Nix machine should be safe.

Rich

You've been lucky. BTDT on all of the modern OSs. Have backups.

Oh, everything gets backed up. Apple may incessantly nag me, but I have yet to see it install without explicit permission. Not so with Win 10 (and I'm using the professional version).

No illusion that Aplle is perfect, jut that it has been a much, much better experience updating/upgrading systems than Win 10. Apple has other issues, but this isn't one of them for me - yet.

Linux and FreeBSD I know what to expect. They'd to update less often there, but I know what's coming.

The ability to schedule updates and defer upgrades alone makes Win10 Pro worth it. I usually install the security updates within minutes after they become available (and never more than an hour), but those few minutes allow me the opportunity to close my work and refresh the backups.

As for WannaCry, Homeland Security sent me this yesterday. It doesn't make up for the NSA's hand in this whole mess, but the information is concise and well-organized.

Rich

The "schedule updates" option didn't work in this case (10 Pro). Who knows why. The bigger issue was the insidious disabling of part of the Eset system and putting no alternative in its place temporarily. That's fixed now, but I'll bet there are people who thought they had the protection system operating were, in fact, not. And it did it with the two Win 10 Pro machines I have here.

The owner of a local computer shop I know, has at least one customer come in daily with ransomware.

Ok, they need to take that customer's computer away from him.

I've heard stories about how the hackers are already making plans to target car dealerships, and any other merchandise that is becoming heavily technology laden.
Their plan is to lock the vehicles thus holding them for ransom. Haven't seen anything develop yet, but I doubt there is very much anti-virus installed on the new cars. Could be an urban legend, but seems quite possible.

ring ring... hello? umm, yeah, I can't come in today. My Ford Focus got hacked.

I've heard stories about how the hackers are already making plans to target car dealerships, and any other merchandise that is becoming heavily technology laden.
Their plan is to lock the vehicles thus holding them for ransom. Haven't seen anything develop yet, but I doubt there is very much anti-virus installed on the new cars. Could be an urban legend, but seems quite possible.

It's possible enough that I disabled the Bluetooth on my car. I have a standalone BT speaker from Motorola that I use if I need it for hands-free voice.

Rich

Interesting the the ransom amounts are not sky high. I guess they feel the competition of IT people who are charging to resolve the problem and have to keep their prices in line.

Ok, they need to take that customer's computer away from him.

Haha. Why? There's good money in cleaning up after dumb people. Not kidding here, really. The entire multi-billion dollar "IT security" industry is based off of exactly this underlying concept.

Car hacking? There's been YT videos of demos of it being done easily for years.

Last night or the night before there was an article on local news telling folks to stop pairing their phones with rental cars. Because ... see above. Stupid is impossible to stop.

Reports today that the scammers are not responding to the payments and the decrypt code is non-existent. I don't know whether that report is true or not, but points up the need to backup rather than pay ransom.

Reports today that the scammers are not responding to the payments and the decrypt code is non-existent. I don't know whether that report is true or not, but points up the need to backup rather than pay ransom.

That's probably been good advice for a long time, anyway... there's no "safe" way to pay any of the ransoms that doesn't lead to more fraud... and zero guarantee there's even a way to reverse the things, even when the bad guys say there is.

Also reported was that the code is very similar/exactly the same as a group of North Korean hackers so it would make sense for there to be no solution. When it first started coming out of the connection it made no sense to me, a State Sponsored attack like this has no need to have an unecryption end game. If it's true there is no payoff, that connection makes much more sense.

That's probably been good advice for a long time, anyway... there's no "safe" way to pay any of the ransoms that doesn't lead to more fraud... and zero guarantee there's even a way to reverse the things, even when the bad guys say there is.
There have been multiple cases of the attackers not only unecrypting the systems (its bad business to encrypt a system and then not fix it when paid, nobody would bother paying) but helping the victims fix their security holes.

Car hacking is FUD currently, requires direct access to the vehicle and source code of the vehicle. Is it coming? Of course. Do manufactures have time to put serious security in place? Yes. Will they? I doubt it.

Also reported was that the code is very similar/exactly the same as a group of North Korean hackers so it would make sense for there to be no solution. When it first started coming out of the connection it made no sense to me, a State Sponsored attack like this has no need to have an unecryption end game. If it's true there is no payoff, that connection makes much more sense.

There have been multiple cases of the attackers not only unecrypting the systems (its bad business to encrypt a system and then not fix it when paid, nobody would bother paying) but helping the victims fix their security holes.

Car hacking is FUD currently, requires direct access to the vehicle and source code of the vehicle. Is it coming? Of course. Do manufactures have time to put serious security in place? Yes. Will they? I doubt it.

Microsoft's official word today on this is that the hack is directly traceable back to NSA-found holes in the OS, and NSA didn't warn them of the hole, or they would have patched it. Your government at work... and your OS vendor... high quality there... well worth the money on both parts...

Some bad guys don't care in the slightest about being "bad players"... there will be variants of this made that simply encrypt and the ransom links lead nowhere, just "because".

Car hacking has been successfully shown for a number of years at DEFCON now, without access to source... YMMV on how well you think the hacks work, or whether the auto makers are keeping up with it, but older stuff is completely vunerable with no upgrade/patch path...

And then the question becomes... do you want your car to join the world of never-ending security patches and the "software of the month club" that everything else has migrated to? It requires "always on" network connectivity or at least a car smart enough to attach to your home WiFi, and software engineers haven't exactly set a high bar for quality on new products being attached to the Internet in the whole "IoT world"...

Network attached OS quality is about as low as it's ever been, measuring by number of remote exploits and patches... but throw more connectivity at a team/entire industry (cars) who don't "do" Internet and think they'll get ANYTHING right about it? ROFL... it'll sure be an entertaining crap-show for a while...

Microsoft's official word today on this is that the hack is directly traceable back to NSA-found holes in the OS, and NSA didn't warn them of the hole, or they would have patched it. Your government at work... and your OS vendor... high quality there... well worth the money on both parts...

I don't disagree with what you wrote but just want to clarify, the "hack" was likely a large scale phish to get the worm in, that used an exploit to spread inside networks. The NSA had been using that exploit but Microsoft did know, and did patch this exploit 3 months ago. Just bad security posture top to bottom IMO.

Just bad security posture top to bottom IMO.

That pretty much sums up the entire industry at this point. But the industry also knows people won't ever pay what it would actually take to have a good security "posture".

Easier to just release patches weekly. Moves the cost of the customers' decisions not to hold OS makers accountable right back on the customers in the form of billions spent on "security experts".

Most release patches monthly with emergency updates in between. Weekly is coming.

It's pitiful really. But wasting time installing the never ending patches, pays well!

I have written before; the ransomware is not the end of the world if you have backups.
Some day, will a hacker produce sleeping ransomware?

That would be, in my mind, ransomware which infects....but lies low. For weeks maybe. Then you open up one day to discover you have been hacked - and not only is your computer toast But Your Backups all have the same malevolant software on them!

Take a look at the cyber security stocks today. Big moves!

Heard the people behind this attack have already made $50k in release profits. They charge the attackee a 300$ fee to be released from the malware. What a scam!

Some sites suggest you have to open an email, then an exe to be infected; others do not.

Interesting. I've gotten a few emails in the last month or so warning me about "suspicious activity on my checking accounts." Two different banks, but ultimately banks that I do actually have accounts at, but not all of my banks have "sent" this "warning."

Return address is ServiceMedia@ct.gov. All of those emails got the delete click as soon as they came in.

I have written before; the ransomware is not the end of the world if you have backups.
Some day, will a hacker produce sleeping ransomware?

That would be, in my mind, ransomware which infects....but lies low. For weeks maybe. Then you open up one day to discover you have been hacked - and not only is your computer toast But Your Backups all have the same malevolant software on them!

Already been done. This is one of the reasons many places make you keep data files on a corporate fileserver. Your entire machine can be wiped and you have no significant downtime. Just hand you another laptop freshly imaged and you're back to work.

Commodity pricing on desktop OS means this is really the only sane way to manage the OS itself. The machine and the OS are throw away quality. If you can flatten it and reinstall the OS with this week's patches du jour, great.

Just protect the data somewhere. Somewhere NOT running the same commodity OS vulnerable to the same things the desktops are.

I don't see feasible preventive measures for a small business.
Sure there is. Get regular backups of your server and store your data on the server, not the workstations. You can also replicate to the cloud. Workstations should just have applications, no data. For my GF's business; she has only two computers (retail/restaurant/art studio). I just use OneDrive to replicate all the critical data to O365. O365 takes two backups a day with 14 day retention, automatically. O365 only costs her $60 per year per user and no server to support.

No amount of antivirus software or OS updates are going to protect you. The vast majority of the attacks are coming from stupid people clicking on well-designed email messages or pop-ups. If you click on an executable or script, it is going to infect you. The is no patch for human stupidity. This recent attack was a little different than most, because it actually can spread by itself, from computer to computer within your network.
Take a moment to familiarize yourself and staff on the current scams. Go to Google Images and search for "fake email ransomware". You'll see a sample of many of the currently circulating fake emails. They attack certain industries because they've concocted really good emails that are specific to vertical markets. A CPA is more likely to click on something saying it's from the IRS, or a lawyer will click on something saying it's from the Court.
Be careful of backing up "to the cloud", especially things like Dropbox, as the encrypted files just immediately get synchronized to the cloud and overwrite your good data.

I'm not going to say I can't get burned because it is always a possibility and, sure as hell if I say I can't it will happen. I've gotten reasonably competent at virus removal but still require a visit, along with paying a token of appreciation to my guru occasionally. If a virus attacks the hardware I'm screwed, but if it attacks the operating system I may be able to recover. When I got the new computer I removed the SSD from the old one, cloned the new hard drive to it and put it in the safe.

No files are kept on the C drive. They are on another internal drive I scavenged from the old HP. Files are also backed up to a small RAID drive that is off-line until needed. Truly important ones are also copied to CD's and DVD's. Should worse come to worst I can remove the hard drive and replace it with the SSD. You bet your sweet I am a backup freak. Oh; and nothing is stored in the cloud. I don't want anyone to be able to hack their way into my information although no personal information is kept on my computer. It lessens the chance of identity theft.

I would be interested in hearing from others how they protect their data from those who wish to screw us over. All logical information is welcomed. Although I'm older than dirt I still want to learn.

A good friend has a business that is dependent on computers for customer lists, maintenance records of his rental equipment, business financial records, etc. It got exposed to hacking each time he put it on line. He has since disconnected it from the net and uses a stand alone computer for email and surfing. Can't help but think that was a smart move on his part.

Sure there is.
John, this was about the so-far mostly theoretical, time-bomb ransomware discussion.
For which we know of no good protection.
You could be making daily backups but if ransomware script was developed to sit quietly in all your backups and computers for a month, you would lose those 30 days of data.

I'm not going to say I can't get burned because it is always a possibility and, sure as hell if I say I can't it will happen. I've gotten reasonably competent at virus removal but still require a visit, along with paying a token of appreciation to my guru occasionally. If a virus attacks the hardware I'm screwed, but if it attacks the operating system I may be able to recover. When I got the new computer I removed the SSD from the old one, cloned the new hard drive to it and put it in the safe.

No files are kept on the C drive. They are on another internal drive I scavenged from the old HP. Files are also backed up to a small RAID drive that is off-line until needed. Truly important ones are also copied to CD's and DVD's. Should worse come to worst I can remove the hard drive and replace it with the SSD. You bet your sweet I am a backup freak. Oh; and nothing is stored in the cloud. I don't want anyone to be able to hack their way into my information although no personal information is kept on my computer. It lessens the chance of identity theft.

I would be interested in hearing from others how they protect their data from those who wish to screw us over. All logical information is welcomed. Although I'm older than dirt I still want to learn.

A good friend has a business that is dependent on computers for customer lists, maintenance records of his rental equipment, business financial records, etc. It got exposed to hacking each time he put it on line. He has since disconnected it from the net and uses a stand alone computer for email and surfing. Can't help but think that was a smart move on his part.

If you have access to a Linux machine, you can create a directory that is network accessible to Windows machines using Samba. Then create a cron job running on the Linux machine to copy the backups to another directory that's not accessible to Windows, using the backup or file copy utility of your choice. That maintains the ability for backups to be automated, but protects them from ransomware that might infect the Windows machines.

Rich

Nothing is absolute. But here are some steps you can take:
1) rotating backups. At least 3 weekly/monthly backups totally offline. 5tb hard drives work pretty well, along with either a fireproof safe or (ideally) offsite storage.
2) monthly full with daily incremental backups to a NAS that's separated and/dr disconnected from your computer when not being used for a backup. Disconnect necessary to ensure that the encrypting malware won't encrypt that drive, too - or use a protocol that doesn't make it appear as a drive on the system. You can copy the monthly backup file onto a hard drive(s) and store it offline to also accomplish step one if your period is monthly.
3) choose a cloud service that will sync or backup files from your machine and not delete the old files. Services like Intermedia and SpiderOak work that way, as do a lot of others. To permanently delete files, you need to log into the cloud server and do so. Some services provide end-to-end encryption and web access, others don't. Some form of encryption is important to avoid prying eyes, data mining, and hacking.
4) email in the cloud, choose a service that provides for backups. You can archive old email to a local file if necessary. Encryption again is recommended and may be required for some professions.
5) even though they're not fully effective, anti-malware and system updates are a must.
6) a good external firewall installed in the router is important. Supplement that with software firewalls on each computer.
7) avoid opening email or files that don't seem right. Use web site scanning/evaluation software - not just for phishing but to avoid surf-by downloads of malware.

That's a start of things that will help. Plan for recovery, and stake steps to try to make it unnecessary to recover.

I don't see feasible preventive measures for a small business.

Sure there is.

If you have access to a Linux machine, you can create a directory that is network accessible to Windows machines using Samba. Then create a cron job running on the Linux machine to copy the backups to another directory that's not accessible to Windows, using the backup or file copy utility of your choice. That maintains the ability for backups to be automated, but protects them from ransomware that might infect the Windows machines.

Rich

Note the key here is that Rich is copying files to an OS that can't be infected / affected the same way the desktops can. This can be done with Linux, or a NAS that isn't Windows-based and isn't vulnerable, or a cloud service.

The key here is that (outside of PDFs, kinda... long story) unless they're replaced on the fly with executables, data files can't contain a virus.

Unless the file is replaced by the Windows machine with the virus before being copied to the off-machine storage, and then executed when copied back, and the other storage has no nothing scanning it for viruses, using a remote filesystem to "lie in wait" would be very difficult.

Now a nasty little thing to do would be for the infected Windows machines to reach out to the file server and erase or modify files on it, but that's what backups and audit/rate limits for changes (of the shared filesystem and regular scanning of that filesystem -- more often than the backup schedule -- are for.) ;-)

All of the above can be accomplished say, with something like a Synology NAS device if you'd rather spend money than time to cover it and not learn Linux. They even build in the software to do easy off-site backups to various cloud vendors. Some of those vendors have the ability to "never erase" as someone else mentioned, so even if someone or something erased or modified files on the Synology. (Other NAS systems probably do too, but I've used the Synology.)

But you do pay for the bandwidth and storage costs off site for however long you want to keep old stuff.

John, this was about the so-far mostly theoretical, time-bomb ransomware discussion.
For which we know of no good protection.
You could be making daily backups but if ransomware script was developed to sit quietly in all your backups and computers for a month, you would lose those 30 days of data.
I guess I don't understand how a "sleeper" virus would execute from the backed up file itself, unless that file was an executable or contained a macro. Even then, it would execute from the computer that accessed it, not the storage location. These files get encrypted by a computer that is infected and has access to the share, not by the file itself. Because of that, a backup would protect you, since the file would not be touched, until the infected computer decided to encrypt it. At that time, you can roll back to the previous backup.

Nate, I appreciate your optimistic approach to 'it can be done', but with all the privisos, exceptions, learning this, costs for that noted in your email I stand by my comment that this is not something that the average small (<$1M) business can accomplish.

Back