NA %^*}^ VW Jetta NA

I get a kick out of those JD Power numbers. They separate Lincoln and Ford, which are the same vehicles with different trim. Haha.

So are some Lexus/Toyota and Infiniti/Nissan

So are some Lexus/Toyota and Infiniti/Nissan

Yep. I just used the Lincoln/Ford as an example.

The wild swings between those tells me that there is something wrong with the data. Garbage in, garbage out.

Could be different assembly plants, for example... but no one is tracking that.

Yep. I just used the Lincoln/Ford as an example.

The wild swings between those tells me that there is something wrong with the data. Garbage in, garbage out.

Could be different assembly plants, for example... but no one is tracking that.

Not necessarily. Expectations and demographics of purchasers vary with individual brands, and can greatly skew the data.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Expectations and demographics of purchasers vary with individual brands, and can greatly skew the data.

So can the methodology and scope of the study, which is why these types of studies are worthless without context. The context, if it's even available, often proves the studies to be of minimal value. It's like reading the newspaper--catchy headline, but a story full of holes which leads you to an inaccurate conclusion.

One thing that I've noticed perusing various automotive reviews and forums over the years is that the dealer can make all the difference. If the dealership service sucks, it will almost always reflect poorly on the brand, and folks will write off an entire brand because of ONE poor dealership experience. That is one reason why there may be a disparity between mainstream and luxury brands in surveys, even when the vehicles are mechanically identical. The luxury dealers tend to provide better service, and more consistently so, but you better be willing to open up your wallet. That being said, I'm not sure that VW really understands the luxury service concept, because I wasn't all that impressed with any of the Audi dealers in my area.

JKG

Back