NA Used iphones NA

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I'm looking at used iphone 5's on ebay. (iphone5, not iphone5s)
(I have a 4yo used iphone4, and it works well but it is likely near end of life)
(6 is too big, and I never ride the crest of the latest tech wave anyway)

Ebay's filter function asks if I want wifi - what, dont they all have that capability?
Is it just a filter for keywords in the ads?

Yes, they all have Wifi. I personally think the 5 is a little long in the tooth to actually spend money on. I gave mine to my GF when I bought a new 6, but she is looking to trade up, already because the camera is pretty bad.

The phone is less than adequate because of the integrated camera?

Get off my lawn, you damn kids!

You'll see that in eBay often. Some feature they all have, listed as a filter item. I think it must be an algorithm based on feature lists or product descriptions.

I will need a CDMA phone and I will need it unlocked (I did, for StraightTalk and presume I still do)
They offer 'factory unlocked' but there is no particular advantage to that, right?
I can get any phone unlocked I think.

The phone is less than adequate because of the integrated camera?

Get off my lawn, you damn kids!
Yes, that is probably the feature she uses the most. She takes pictures for her business and posts them on social media. Another thing to consider is that at some point the device will stop taking IOS updates (probably soon). The iPad Mini I gave her is stuck on IOS 9. The 5 is 4 versions back (5, 5s, 6, 6s, with 7 being current). If someone gives it to you, fine, but I wouldn't buy a 5, because it's useful life really isn't that long. You'll be replacing it again, soon.

As always, what's the budget? You can get still get a new 5s models for Straight talk for $149 on walmart's website, and not fool with Ebay scammers.

I wouldn't give a 5 to someone no matter how much I disliked them. I tossed mine directly in the trash when I upgraded (and that was well over a year ago). The iPhone 5 is absolutely too slow for the newer versions of iOS. Not to mention that pretty much no developer is testing on a 5 anymore -- so you're likely to see a lot of crashes.

My 4 died over Christmas. Or rather the phone function did. But it was down to just phone, email, and some basic web sites. It was a couple of iOS versions behind, and no one supported the apps anymore, esp,the banking apps.

Bought a 6 on eBay in early Jan and loving it. Not too big for me.

Last edited:
I like the size of the 6 - NOT the 6+, which is like a bad joke.

Don't be ripped off on eBay. Buy your used iPhone from Gazzelle.

I have no connection with Gazzelle except as a satisfied customer who has both bought and sold iOS devices from and to them.

The iPhone 5 is absolutely too slow for the newer versions of iOS. Not to mention that pretty much no developer is testing on a 5 anymore -- so you're likely to see a lot of crashes.
One personal opinion and one WAG.

The 5 runs 10.2 just fine and no crashes. I still have my 5 as I don't see the SE as a compelling upgrade and I have no use for a tablet size phone like the 6 or 7.

We've bought 4 iPhones off eBay over the years. Never had a problem. You do have to be patient to get a good deal. Gazelle asking price for the same phone I bought 4 weeks ago is more than 20% higher.

Are any developers working on making the iPhone do phone calls well? That's my critical app for a TELEPHONE and I'm 0-3 on iPhone doing that.

Not sure if Android is any better for my critical app since most of the people who call my land line have the same poor phone quality as the Apple set.

My Gordon Gecko huge Motorola brick phone had the one feature of good phone. Ah, those were the days...

Best two iphones are a 4S with a new battery (easy to do) or a 6S due to the baro sensor.

Back