NA - Top Gear/The Grand Tour

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Thoughts on the grand tour which just aired on Amazon Prime?

I loved it, maybe even better than clarkson-era top gear.

We watched it Thursday night when it was available. We love top gear, the real one, and really enjoyed the grand tour. Since it is the three together again, it will be a great show. Looking forward to next week for sure.

It wasn't full of dick and fart jokes so I'm sure most of the American audience won't find it funny but those who really liked top gear are happy to have them back.

We watched it Thursday night when it was available. We love top gear, the real one, and really enjoyed the grand tour. Since it is the three together again, it will be a great show. Looking forward to next week for sure.

It wasn't full of dick and fart jokes so I'm sure most of the American audience won't find it funny but those who really liked top gear are happy to have them back.

Well, he can pleasure a horse now so....

Enjoyed it a lot. Didn't care for the nascar guy played up the redneck side a bit much. Also wish that the powerslides would be cut its not interesting and its a very slow way to drive. Clarkson getting squirrelly under braking in the P1 was interesting endless shots of cars sliding around less so.

Good to see them back.

The new post Clarkson BBC version is just plainly bad

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Hoping it'll pick up over future episodes.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Hoping it'll pick up over future episodes.
Not sure if you picked up on it but the entire first episode was a big middle finger to the bbc. The rest of the season should get back to their style.

Not a bad start. Agreed a few of the skits were not quite as entertaining as I would have hoped, but perhaps it will improve with time. Overall, I'd give it a watch on a weekly basis for a while.

It was great!

Is it weird that I want to be James May when I grow up?
He has a super decathlon with the tail number G-OCOK

174d1246000840-g-ocok.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea the boys were back! I'll have to check it out. Loved the real Top Gear.

Clarkson getting squirrelly under braking in the P1 was interesting endless shots of cars sliding around less so.
That was the best part IMHO. The household all agreed that it wasnt a scripted scene, that he really was scared for his life.

It's interesting.

I admit to occasionally getting tired of hearing Jeremy Clarkson proclaiming, "Rubbish!" about every American-manufactured vehicle he ever touched, but the chemistry those three have is undeniable.

I have watched the relaunch of "Top Gear," and been seriously underwhelmed. As for the American iteration of Top Gear," mildly entertaining, but only mildly.

As for Grand Tour, I have watched a few minutes of it, and I am very encouraged.

Just finished the first episode and while I cringed at a few parts, I loved it overall and look forward to the episodes from here on out.

Second episode felt disappointingly scripted to me.

Bummer to hear. I'll wait to watch it tonight with my son. But I'm hoping things will improve once they get past the "what can we do that won't infringe on Top Gear" cloud that is hanging over their heads.

I liked the first episode a lot, and the wife was rolling with laughter at the simile war they were having between the McLaren and the Porsche. I was pleasantly surprised in the way they were able to take the old show in a new direction. The second episode started off well, but dragged on with an unrelated comedy sketch with the Jordanian special forces training center. Still not bad though, I'll watch a few more to see if they hit their stride a bit more consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second was definitely not an improvement. This is worrying! I'd been hoping for things rather more along the lines of the expedition specials they used to do.

They're starting off slow, IMO. Even when they were with the BBC, things were getting formulaic. Constantly drifting cars in slow motion? Surely they can think up something else. But the big problem with the show is the hosts are old, fat, rich guys who's jokes and context are out of touch with most people.

Scripted yes but even worse was that is had very little in the way of cars/trucks in it. It was just a stupid show about them faking an obstacle course.
I was really disappointed in this episode. Hope the next is better than this or they will not be on my list.

Third episode was stellar! Dwarfed the two previous ones in my opinion. Make sure to watch to the end!

I still miss them having old beat up cars those were the best episodes.

Episode 1: 7/10 not terrible but not as great as I was hoping
Episode 2: 2/10 what?
Episode 3: 9/10 a proper show about cars, still not a fan of the celebrity thing but I get that it is an up yours to the BBC. The only other reason I didn't go 10/10 was that the studio scenes continue to feel a bit awkward to me. Its almost as if they are still trying to get used to being themselves after being forced to do things so differently for the sake of the BBC.

This latest episode was okay. A step in the right direction but very little. No timed lap was a bonus. However, where was the drag race between the three? How can they not line those three cars up for a race? And why is James May being so quiet.

Okay episode 4 rivaled the BEST of old Top Gear if not better. That was a FANTASTIC episode.

Okay episode 4 rivaled the BEST of old Top Gear if not better. That was a FANTASTIC episode.

Good news!

I watched the 2nd episode and actually enjoyed the "Edge of Tomorrow" parody. But regardless of whichever folks thinks is the worst episode thus far, it's still far better than the re-staffed Top Gear (that I stopped watching altogether.)

Last edited:
I've only watched the first two. I have some catching up to do!

4th episode was very very good. Ok, the long film was a bit silly but it did have a few good jokes. The Porsche/M3 was a great vid. Good stuff.

Good news!

I watched the 2nd episode and actually enjoyed the "Edge of Tomorrow" parody. But regardless of whichever folks thinks is the worst episode thus far, it's still far better than the re-staffed Top Gear (that I stopped watching altogether.)
I watched the first episode of season 23. It was terrible, scratch that...it made my eyes bleed and that Chris evans is a loony. What the heck is he yelling for? That was enough for me. Old top gear is dead.
Didn't get a chance to watch the new GT last night but am looking forward to watching it tonight. Hope it is an improvement over the last two.

Back