[NA] Thinking iphone 15

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Anyone have one? (15 Pro)
I like small, currently have an SE (2nd gen)
This is 1/2“ taller, a smidge wider & heavier.
Seems more capable, esp the camera.
Think they’ll get the heat problem fixed?
Looking forward to dumping the lightning cables.
Like the satellite SOS capability in view of some places I frequent.

(Reminder: This is an IPHONE thread! lol)

I have the 11. I keep getting texts for a free upgrade (lol, right…free). I have to say, the 15 has my interest. Thanks for starting the thread. I will be watching in earnest.

I don’t know why you think dumping lightning cables for usb cables is going to be beneficial. I’m reluctant to upgrade because of the cost of new cables.
I’d wait at least a month and let them work out the bugs.
The Pro versions are titanium which supposedly have better cooling and don’t have the heating issues, so go Pro.

I don’t know why you think dumping lightning cables for usb cables is going to be beneficial. I’m reluctant to upgrade because of the cost of new cables.
Oh you are right, I failed to explain.
My experience with lighting cables is sub-abysmal.
I buy new, certified cables (even Apple-supplied) and they work for a while on all our devices then charging failures begin. it's not the cable, it's the lighting terminal and where that goes into the device. (We are not hard on them, we don't have pets that bother them, they last a month or so.) Soon, the connection in the device is intermittent. (Get up for a 6:00am flight and the ipad is at 23% even though I had the lightning symbol at 9pm, that's fun) Have had the device ports cleaned professionally, that's not the problem. Plug it in and if the volume is up, the slightest motion in the cable, you can hear it chime "charging" then "not charging" etc etc.
Even if the USB is no better, I'm ready to try it. I now have 3 or 4 devices that are the USB type and they are problem-free.
I might just report back here after 6 months to update this, see if I'm less cranky about it!

Huh. I’ve never had an iPhone or iPad m charging issue, and I’ve had/have many. In fact I’ve never even heard anyone I know say anything about a charging or cord problem. And unless I’m sitting in the sun and leave my phone or iPad fully exposed, no overheating. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and wife has a 14 Pro. No plans to upgrade until the batteries start to fade.

I like small too. I hope my 13 mini lasts a long time. Or they come out with the same or smaller size.

1) Apple is aware of the overheating problem and pushing out an iOS update to supposedly reduce it.

2) The switch to a new port is always annoying. But USB-C is becoming the standard, so switching will be a net positive. With the right cable* it’s much faster - not needed for charging but for data transfer. That won’t affect many, but for pro’s and high tech users it’s apparently a boon for transferring large file, and even using a small external drive to record 4k video to directly.

*It’s a whole ‘nother issue - USB-C cables all look the same, but only some are capable of high speed data transfer, and those are very expensive.

Last edited:
I’ve had my fair share of lightning cable challenges, but wireless charging solved most of them. Except Carplay. I’m going to try one of the wireless Carplay adapters though.

$4 apiece is very expensive? Or are you talking about the thunderbolt cables?

I figured if I was spending a grand on a phone, I would not notice the $5-10 cables.

While we are at it; is there any downside to buying USB-A to USB-C (instead of the above) to charge the phone? I have plenty of USB-A wall & auto chargers around that I'd like to use.
I don't do much data transfer.

I figured if I was spending a grand on a phone, I would not notice the $5-10 cables.

While we are at it; is there any downside to buying USB-A to USB-C (instead of the above) to charge the phone? I have plenty of USB-A wall & auto chargers around that I'd like to use.
I don't do much data transfer.
You’ll be limited to 12watt charging rather than 27watt. C-to-C cables will also let you use your iPhone to charge other devices.

Last edited:
$4 apiece is very expensive? Or are you talking about the thunderbolt cables?

Yes, to take full advantage of fast data transfer speeds, it looks like you need the Thunderbolt cables, and they start at $25 and go way up from there. Some may not need that at all, others may need just one to keep by their computer. The confusion is they all look the same.

I may order my 15 Pro Max later today at the AT&T store. I’ll also need a new QuadLock case, and a USB-C to phone jack adapter (for my custom earphones), and a screen protector. I think I have enough basic USB-C cables (USB-C to USB-C and USB-A to USB-C) for charging as my iPad, bike intercom and GoPro already use them.

Huh. I’ve never had an iPhone or iPad m charging issue, and I’ve had/have many.
I’ve had the exact same issue the OP reported, though only once, with an iPhone 6. The lightning port stopped making connection with any cable. The repair wasn’t trivial, as I recall the Jack is part of a component of the phone’s chassis. I found a third party repair shop who had a dead iPhone 6, and they did the chassis swap. It worked fine for a couple more years till I was ready to upgrade.

Yes, to take full advantage of fast data transfer speeds, it looks like you need the Thunderbolt cables, and they start at $25 and go way up from there. Some may not need that at all, others may need just one to keep by their computer. The confusion is they all look the same.
That's still a bit overkill. Thunderbolt3 is 40Gbps/100W while the iPhone 15 only needs 10Gbps/30W for data transfer and power delivery. It also does DisplayPort 1.2 which is 17Gbps, but most people leave that cable attached to the monitor/docking station.

You’ll be limited to 12watt charging rather than 27watt. C-to-C cables will also let you use your iPhone to charge other devices.
Yeah, I finally did the forklift upgrade of all the anker nuggets in our household to usb-c for that reason.

I buy new, certified cables (even Apple-supplied) and they work for a while on all our devices then charging failures begin. it's not the cable, it's the lighting terminal and where that goes into the device. (We are not hard on them, we don't have pets that bother them, they last a month or so.) Soon, the connection in the device is intermittent. (Get up for a 6:00am flight and the ipad is at 23% even though I had the lightning symbol at 9pm, that's fun) Have had the device ports cleaned professionally, that's not the problem. Plug it in and if the volume is up, the slightest motion in the cable, you can hear it chime "charging" then "not charging" etc etc.
What's the common element here? :dunno:

I have a 15 Pro, which I grudgingly bought to replace my 12 mini (it needed a new battery). Like others, I really liked the size of the mini. But after having this thing for over a week now, the bigger size hasn't been nearly as big an issue as I feared, and I don't notice the added weight at all.

It's been a good phone so far, with none of the heat issues others have had, but I also don't use IG and some of the others apps identified to be the culprits. USB-C is a benefit, since just about everything else I have uses it anyway.

I went ahead and ordered an iPhone 15 Pro Max 512gb yesterday at my local AT&T store. The $1,000 off for my 12 Pro Max was too good to pass up. About $11.09/month for 3 years added to our bill.

Reasons (rationalizations) in descending order:

1) Satellite coverage for emergencies/roadside assistance.
2) Brighter screen
3) Fresh battery
4) (Slightly) Better Camera
5) Faster processor (though for now I don’t use the phone for anything that could take advantage of it).

Yesterday evening I got this weird email from AT&T:

53232591566_9bc121fb9f_z.jpg

You can see why I might have thought it was spam. But sure enough, my phone got delivered today! I’m not home, but I had a neighbor bring it in for me. I would never have thought to check for it last July!

Hopefully the data transfer will work flawlessly - it usually does but I always get just a little nervous.

The biggest plus of the iphone 15pro has been:
-rapid charging, I think this is due to the USB-C technology
-the USB-C is making reliable connections to the phone, unlike the Lightning (of course, it is brand new and not time-tested yet)

I can't say battery life has been stellar.

I had an unplanned upgrade after my 13 pro was pickpocketed in Rome. I’m really liking not needing lightning cables anymore in my travel bag! Similar (to me) battery life and photo quality from my 13. And the satellite feature is something hopefully never need but be glad it’s there

-the USB-C is making reliable connections to the phone, unlike the Lightning (of course, it is brand new and not time-tested yet)
Maybe brand new in Apple products, but it's definitely time-tested for several years in the rest of the electronic ecosystem. I was delighted to see Apple finally get with the USB-C program, allowing me to dispense with all my Lightning stuff, which I only had to have for my iPad.

I got a new 15 ProMax after I shattered the glass back on my 13 ProMax.. again. I’m happy to have a metal case to eliminate the glass back. Otherwise? No difference that I can tell. AT&T did give me $830.00 trade-in value for my broken 13, so the upgrade price was easy to swallow.

My travel bag includes a small bag of charge cords. Mini USB, USB-B, USB-C, and lightning. These days all of my devices use USB-C so the rest of the cords are for courtesy to others who might need one. Charging cubes are just as bad. I carry USB-B and USB-C cubes. That means I need to carry more cords so I have both ends available.

Last edited:
Oh you are right, I failed to explain.
Even if the USB is no better, I'm ready to try it. I now have 3 or 4 devices that are the USB type and they are problem-free.
I might just report back here after 6 months to update this, see if I'm less cranky about it!
I have had the same problem several times. Supposedly it is usually because of the lint that accumulates in the charging port due to carrying it in my pocket.

But the last time cleaning it didn't help. I had a local iphone repair shop replace the charging port. I think it cost around $75 about a two years ago and it has been working fine ever since. (Iphone XsMax).

But the last time cleaning it didn't help. I had a local iphone repair shop replace the charging port. I think it cost around $75 about a two years ago and it has been working fine ever since. (Iphone XsMax).
Ok, I had to google to see if you made a typo - they actually have a product called "Xs Max"? :lol:

Maybe I'll wait until the XXL Mini is released. Or perhaps I can hold out for the Giga Micro model!

I haven't been this confused since having to explain to someone that a "Tall" at Starbucks means the small sized cup.

Ok, I had to google to see if you made a typo - they actually have a product called "Xs Max"? :lol:

Maybe I'll wait until the XXL Mini is released. Or perhaps I can hold out for the Giga Micro model!

I haven't been this confused since having to explain to someone that a "Tall" at Starbucks means the small sized cup.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 2.29.19 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 2.29.19 PM.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 8
Apple has used “S” for improved versions of many iPhones through the years. The Max indicates the optional bigger screen size. The “X” indicated ten. Pretty simple.

Apple has used “S” for improved versions of many iPhones through the years. The Max indicates the optional bigger screen size. The “X” indicated ten. Pretty simple.
Yes, I'm sure that there is a long list of items that are immediately intuitive for Apple users that seem funny or strange for those of us who are outside of your ecosystem :tongue2:

Like how they're charging $200 for 8GB of ram in 2023 for their new MacBook :goofy:

Criticism based on ignorance is…. Special.

Pricing is determined by what the market will bear. Why not? It’s good business. I’m not sure why that’s a mystery.

Last edited:
I just think someone at Apple got their jollys from people saying "excess Macs" when describing the iPhone Xs max.

Found out late in life that Starbucks has a 'short' cup also... they just don't advertise it. So tall vs. short makes sense in that hidden context.

Anyone have one? (15 Pro)
I like small, currently have an SE (2nd gen)
This is 1/2“ taller, a smidge wider & heavier.
Seems more capable, esp the camera.
Think they’ll get the heat problem fixed?
Looking forward to dumping the lightning cables.
Like the satellite SOS capability in view of some places I frequent.

(Reminder: This is an IPHONE thread! lol)

I moved from the IPhone SE to the IPhone 11 after a cracked screen.

I really liked the form factor of the SE, but I hated the lightning port (everything else I have, other than my IPad, uses USB-C).
I picked up the 11 for cheap second hand with the plan of using it until I could buy a USB-C SE. Within 3 months I hated that I could not comfortably use it one handed, in fact I hated it so much that I picked up a Pixel 7. The Pixel 7 isn't perfect, but at least I could use it one handed (between the offset keyboard and slightly narrower body). I am still considering an SE 4 if it has USB-C (which I expect it will), but frustration with my IPad Mini battery and overheating has me considering giving up on Apple completely.

Back