[NA]Texas handgun law[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Texas sent me a License renewal notification this week.
I thought we were past all that and found this.
License needed or ignore??

Attachments

• 72183975080__5C2DBAE0-21C6-4926-A0E6-6943B3083FA6.jpeg
    72183975080__5C2DBAE0-21C6-4926-A0E6-6943B3083FA6.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 34
Perhaps one use of an actual license would be for States that have reciprocity agreements with Texas. I'm guessing - forgive me (being in massachusetts, we don't have reciprocity with any other state).

Bob's right. You don't need it in Texass but if you were to travel to a reciprocal state, it would come in handy.

Of course, remember that there are a majority of states that don't "constitional" carry and a few that won't let you carry period.

Depends. In addition to reciprocity, there are specific defenses to prosecution available to a license holder that are not available under permitless carry. There are also a few categories of places that limit permitless carry but allow carry by a license holder. LTC holders get a free pass to turn around at the airport secure area checkpoint whereas permitless doesn’t.

The renewal cost is $40 and can be done online; I recommend anyone with a Texas LTC always renew it. In 2017, the state removed the penalty for failure to display upon demand, so that aspect is a toothless tiger.

If you’d like to discuss pros/cons and specific portions of the Texas code that are relevant, feel free to PM.

Depends. In addition to reciprocity, there are specific defenses to prosecution available to a license holder that are not available under permitless carry. There are also a few categories of places that limit permitless carry but allow carry by a license holder. LTC holders get a free pass to turn around at the airport secure area checkpoint whereas permitless doesn’t.

The renewal cost is $40 and can be done online; I recommend anyone with a Texas LTC always renew it. In 2017, the state removed the penalty for failure to display upon demand, so that aspect is a toothless tiger.

If you’d like to discuss pros/cons and specific portions of the Texas code that are relevant, feel free to PM.

Exactly. Also, here in FL, there’s no waiting period on a gun purchase if you have a carry permit.

Texas sent me a License renewal notification this week.
I thought we were past all that and found this.
License needed or ignore??

There was a time when handguns were just NA. But then came along the FO with a piece and a badge……..

Reciprocity, carry in the federal Gun Free School Zone, bypass NICS check, carry in a few more places. It's worth renewing.

Also, having permit opens the opportunity to purchase coverage for legal protection, should an event occur.

Texas CHL holder here living in Massachusetts. I also hold a Massachusetts LTC and a Law Enforcement credential. Between the three of these I can carry off duty just about anywhere I want except for the big no-nos like bars and airports. My recommendation is renew it. While Texas (and a few other states near you) is a constitutional carry state, all it takes is one anti-gun Governor or legislative session to place restrictions back on it. If they do, you're already covered. Renewing is nothing more than piece of paperwork as opposed to going through the whole licensing process again. Back when I got mine in Texas it was still the two-day course with range time and the wait was about 90 days.

Also check that 'Constitutional Carry" in the states that allow it, do not limit it to residents of the state.
A Utah CFP is recognized in many states. By last count, the Utah permit was honored in 29 states.

Also check that 'Constitutional Carry" in the states that allow it, do not limit it to residents of the state.
A Utah CFP is recognized in many states. By last count, the Utah permit was honored in 29 states.

Texas isn’t quite Constitutional carry, it’s a permitless carry law. That portions of the code applies equally to residents or non-residents.

If you ever plan on visiting the state Capitol, having your concealed carry permit allows you to bypass the security screen entirely.

Definitely worth keeping. While you're at it, it's definitely worth giving USCCA $30/month as well. Right now I think they're giving out a free pelican pistol case and an IFAK.

It’s minor, but those with permits are covered under different laws. I say minor because it makes little practical difference, there are some circumstances you can avoid arrest but you have to mess up first.

if you’re intending to purchase, it might be worth the instant background check.

If you ever plan on visiting the state Capitol, having your concealed carry permit allows you to bypass the security screen entirely.
I'm sorry... what? That sounds nuts. Or very Texan. Why have the security screening at all, then?

I'm sorry... what? That sounds nuts. Or very Texan. Why have the security screening at all, then?
Well, if you do anything dumb, the entire state, and EVERY other LTC holder will be after yer' hide, so there's that... last I checked suicide missions don't abide by rules, so abide by the rules, keep yer piece where it belongs, and it's good.

Well, if you do anything dumb, the entire state, and EVERY other LTC holder will be after yer' hide, so there's that... last I checked suicide missions don't abide by rules, so abide by the rules, keep yer piece where it belongs, and it's good.
generally security screens are to keep weapons or other things out of a place. If you show a license that states you have concealed weapons to bypass the security screen... and they give the licenses out to almost everyone... lol

Sorry for the sidetrack.

... and they give the licenses out to almost everyone...
Speaking specifically for Texas eligibility, that not quite correct. For starters, any conviction or deferred adjudication in the previous five years of any crime more serious than a traffic ticket, any felony ever in your lifetime, or behind on child support, is disqualifying, among other things. Truthfully, LE agencies have looser restrictions on who they can arm than the state takes with LTC applicants and license holders. Think about that for a second. There are LEOs who are disqualified from being issued a LTC.

Once issued, there are recurrent state and federal background checks that continue to verify eligibility. In the in-between time, the state revokes at the time of conviction. Lautenberg agreement also adds a revocation layer.

The Texas legislative history from the inception of LTC has is filled with subject applicants and license holders being held to a heightened level of scrutiny, continuously monitor and enforce, and in return a few additional privileges are provided. That’s bookended with enhanced penalties and disqualification when a license holder violates the terms and conditions (laws) for the privileges granted.

As shown elsewhere, the state tracks this data very closely, aggregates it at the county and state level, and makes it publicly available. Like any process, it’s not foolproof, but it works. A lot better than most people expect.

Last edited:
Truthfully, LE agencies have looser restrictions on who they can arm than the state takes with LTC applicants and license holders. Think about that for a second. There are LEOs who are disqualified from being issued a LTC.

I haven't looked at the data for a few years, but when I did look at it for FL I saw that LEOs were more likely to be convicted of a crime than CCW licensees. Generally speaking, people who get a license to carry are, as a whole, about the squeakiest-clean group you'll ever see.

Some years ago, a woman at work was talking about wanting to have a way to check the backgrounds of guys she dated. I told her to just ask to see a carry permit. A guy who had one had been fingerprinted, been cleared by the local police/sheriff department, and passed an FBI background check. No way she could get a better investigation done on her own. No permit? Either dig deeper or forget him.

generally security screens are to keep weapons or other things out of a place. If you show a license that states you have concealed weapons to bypass the security screen... and they give the licenses out to almost everyone... lol

Sorry for the sidetrack.
Let's see, walk through a metal detector or be finger printed, FBI background checked, and screened and monitored for felonies and misdemeanors..... I think one is more likely than the other to keep out the bad guys.

When the Capitol first exempted CHL holders from the metal detectors, many capitol staffers obtained CHLs just to avoid the line.

…When the Capitol first exempted CHL holders from the metal detectors, many capitol staffers obtained CHLs just to avoid the line.

Now the state offers the Capitol Access Pass as a fast lane for non-LTC holders.
To be eligible for a pass, you must be a Texas resident and meet all eligibility requirements applicable to a handgun license under Texas law other than handgun proficiency.

Back