[NA]Texas car sale[NA]

I tell people that if they want to keep their plates, they have two choices if I’m buying the car.... Either they deliver the car to my place, or they pay for the rollback to get it there, on their dime. Haven’t had anyone want to keep the plates yet.
As to the paperwork, it’s all filled out and signed, and they get a copy of it all before I leave. I usually hit the tax office within 24 hours, to do the title change.
Only had questions on one car we sold. Got contacted by the cops when they confiscated a Porsche we sold. Told them it had been sold about 5 years earlier. Could have retreived it if I wanted to, but it was torn up bad at that point.
In Colorado, Utah and I assume a number of other states, the plates belong to the registered owner, NOT the vehicle. Remove them during the sale. But, this thread did state Texas, and I see you're from Texas, so ... apology for the thread drift.

Yep, plates belong to the owner (every state that I have checked). If you drive with the old plates you can/will be charged with fictitious plates/registration. Usually the back of the registration card is filled out and taped in the window as the temporary registration.

For liability reasons I would never not take the old plates if I sold a car in a private transaction.

There is a form in Texas a VTR-346 that lets DMV Title division know who and when you sold it...that filed by mail within 30 days and a bill of sale takes care of any liability issues...no need to pull the plates or waste time at the DMV...in my opinion...

The plates are a state by state thing. Some states have temp plates the buyer can get at the DMV others use a ''tags applied for' statement on the window (e.g. ND) or in the license frame (e.g. AL). In MD the seller has to turn in the plates before he can drop the insurance.

I tell people that if they want to keep their plates, they have two choices if I’m buying the car.... Either they deliver the car to my place, or they pay for the rollback to get it there, on their dime. Haven’t had anyone want to keep the plates yet.

Are you aware you can temp register online and print out paper plates at home?

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle/temporary-permits

My vehicles all have TX DV plates. By law, I cannot transfer that plate to any other person. I have to update vehicles to the plate.

In your case, we would simply walk inside, print temp registration of your choice and be done with it.

TCABM: Yep, I've done the online paper plate thing, but, if there are plates tied to the vehicle, all you can print is a temp version of that plate. I had forgotten about the Handicap plates being tied to the owner. Should have remembered, as all my vehicles have Amateur Radio plates. Same thing goes for them, Purple Heart, Silver and Bronze Star plates as well as MOH plates.

Back