[NA] Starlink has built-in Firewall “

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I installed SL last week and was told by my IT guy that I can unplug (ditch) the SonicWall firewall device, because of this (title).
Hoping to learn more about this, or get confirmation, as I’d never heard this before and it wasn’t a marketed point during purchase.
Not even sure what the SonicWall was doing.

Pretty much every router sold in the last 25 years has a firewall built into it. It's pretty safe to say that if you don't know what the sonic wall was doing for you, you don't need it. I'm pretty confident the firewall in star link will be blocking everything other than normal internet browsing stuff unless you tell it otherwise. (probably exactly what the sonic wall, and your existing router were already doing)

Last edited:
an exercise for the student: what happens when a firewall is behind a firewall? Does it cause problems? Does it double the protection?

an exercise for the student: what happens when a firewall is behind a firewall? Does it cause problems? Does it double the protection?
No, double firewalls do not double your protection, because there is bound to be a lot of overlapping in the protection. Bad code only needs to be identified once per streaming incident. Double firewalls can be incompatible one to the other.

-Skip

Your signature line basically says that ALL gun laws are unconstitutional as they are designed to infringe on our rights. Right on!

Back to our original discussion...

Back