[NA]Sewer line & tanks questions[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Does it matter which way the bell (expanded) end of 4" (sch40 PVC) sewer drain line is oriented?
Seems to me each glued joint should be male to female, as the line progresses to the septic tank.
So, the bells are all uphill, on each section of pipe.

See page 6 - #5

Even with gasketed pipe you lay the bell/flared end towards the direction you want to go. In his case he's heading for his septic tank, so flares go downslope towards the tank.

Edit: OP do whatever you want and what is easiest for you. It's not like you're gonna nailed by the sewer pipe police for putting the bell ends upslope or downslope. ;)

Last edited:
Unless there is an asinine building code.

Adding a second drain line to an existing plastic septic tank.
1. directly into the tank via second penetration?
2. Y it into the existing drain line, very close to the tank?

W
pretty sure you don't want to make a new penetration in the tank and set it up correctly. That's a contract job for folks who can enter the tank safely.

Around here that is a major project and the answer is generally no. Be careful, this could bite you in the butt if you don't pull permits and go to sell.

I should have mentioned the thread is about the mechanics of making plastic connections; I will handle the usual legality, code, local regulations questions.
Thanks!

I added a RV parking spot to my property. The inspector told me to Y into the existing pipe to be up to code. Of course your area will be different.....

See page 6 - #5

Even with gasketed pipe you lay the bell/flared end towards the direction you want to go. In his case he's heading for his septic tank, so flares go downslope towards the tank.

Edit: OP do whatever you want and what is easiest for you. It's not like you're gonna nailed by the sewer pipe police for putting the bell ends upslope or downslope. ;)

Well, no, what it says is to lay the bells out in the direction you want the work to progress, not the direction of flow. If you follow their "best practice" the straight sections will point downhill to the septic tank, but you're actually going to start laying the pipe out from the septic tank to the house.

In reality, it doesn't make that much of a difference, and it's more important with small pipe than big pipe. In large diameter municipal sewer lines, the order of construction takes precedence over slope when it comes to aligning bells and spigots. In pressure pipe, the direction is immaterial.

Change of plan; have located tank & it is not downhill as hoped.
Thinking Grinder Pump. Will this shoot up - maybe one foot, over a distance of 100'? Still 4" line?

Grinder pump is fine right up until the moment it fails.

I see talk of installing two pumps, as a backup plan.
I know that I rejected home purchase over a grinder pump. It all boils down to what you are willing to deal with. The installation I looked at had no isolation for the pump so whatever was in the soil line was coming back.

If it was a permanent home, for myself - I agree with you.
A temporary home, for someone else.....

My old system had two pumps (after the septic tank). They alternated running via the controller. There was also a raucous bell that went off if the level got higher than the pump start float. I called it the "deep sh-t" alarm.

Back