[NA] Service Pack 3 upgrade "offer"

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I declined it for now,...is everyone accepting it or? Its the first time I saw it offered.
Does it also contain 'critical security enhancements'?

I downloaded it to one of my machines and it has locked up a couple times. I'll wait and see before I go forward on the others.

No personal experience because I haven't installed it.
But on a few of the forums I read about issues with it depending on your processor mainly.
No problems if you have an Intel, but if you have an AMD, certain models had ALL KINDS of problems with it.
Since I have AMD in my machine, I just decided it wasn't worth the potential hassle for the little bit of extra "security" I might get from MS with it.

Mark B.

processor unknown
You can determine that by right-clicking on "My Computer" and going to Properties.

That area in the lower right will tell you the type processor, speed as well as how much memory you have.

ah...Intel...core2duo 2.99ghz thanks

You can determine that by right-clicking on "My Computer" and going to Properties.

That area in the lower right will tell you the type processor, speed as well as how much memory you have.

For the most part--- SP3 has been pretty decent. A lot less problems compared to SP1 or SP2. There were some issues with AMD processors on some certain computer manufacturer, either HP or Dell..can't remember which.

Did a little research before installing it. Haven't had any problems and it seems to have done away with most of the security issues in SP2.

All nine of my XP machines have had SP3 since last February w/o difficutly.

There were some issues with AMD processors on some certain computer manufacturer, either HP or Dell..can't remember which.

HP (maybe others too). It's related to HP using an Intel image for AMD CPUs. Supposedly a registry key needs to be fixed to prevent the issue.

HP (maybe others too). It's related to HP using an Intel image for AMD CPUs. Supposedly a registry key needs to be fixed to prevent the issue.

And for some strange reason we don't think highly of AMD. :D

And for some strange reason we don't think highly of AMD. :D
It wasn't AMD's fault at all--it could have just as easily happened to Intel. It was HP doing something stupid, that is all.

It wasn't AMD's fault at all--it could have just as easily happened to Intel. It was HP doing something stupid, that is all.

But in the end it's (more or less) a single reg key and a driver. Couldn't MS just slap a CPU ID prog & *.reg file on the SP3 package?

But in the end it's (more or less) a single reg key and a driver. Couldn't MS just slap a CPU ID prog & *.reg file on the SP3 package?
They didn't know about the problem until it was released (it seems), and really, I don't follow the issue that closely. I prefer not to deal with Windows whenever possible :)

Well now I can't get rid of the download so its going to keep pestering me to upgrade.

Well now I can't get rid of the download so its going to keep pestering me to upgrade.
Turn off the automatic updates function if you want to postpone SP3.

Right-click on "My Computer" and select properties. The top-center tab will be "Automatic Updates." You can check one of the two bottom options.

One is, "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them."

The other is, "Turn off Automatic Updates."

I have mine set to notify me so it doesn't do updates while in the middle of working on projects.

Just be sure you manually do other necessary security updates. I had a couple hiccups after installing on this machine but it has been fine since. After I move and set up the network again, I may go ahead and install it on the other boxes.

I had to go back to an earlier restore point on 3 of my machines to get rid of it. It wouldn't let me log on to the internet on any machine.

Then I turned automatic updates off.

I had to go back to an earlier restore point on 3 of my machines to get rid of it. It wouldn't let me log on to the internet on any machine.

Then I turned automatic updates off.
After having good success on the one machine, I'd install it on this one. But, it's the only machine I have not yet packed up. So, it's gonna have to wait.

I have never used a RP, what is it like? Do you end up losing....I mean what do you usually lose; data? software installs? settings? email?
Of course I would do a recent backup but wondering what the real world experience is.

I have never used a RP, what is it like? Do you end up losing....I mean what do you usually lose; data? software installs? settings? email?
Of course I would do a recent backup but wondering what the real world experience is.
The few times I used restore points, it worked out well.

I'd do a backup of all my data, first. I have automatic backups on numerous areas now but before the restores, I'd do a complete copy of the "My Documents" and the "Desktop" where a lot of junk would sit temporarily.

A caution about RPs. Copy your registry to CD. Compare it after choosing and earlier RP. All the lines are still there; the ones after your RP are just "REM"'d out. Pretty soon your registly looks like a zillion line mess and the computer boots REALLY slow..

Back