[NA] Road trip stop suggestions - north GA to central VA

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
We will be making a weekend drive from ATL area to central (Arrington) Virginia area this weekend. Anybody got any hot tips on family (11 y/o and 9 y/o boys) friendly stops along the way to break up the drive? I've been to Norfolk/VA Beach for work, but that's a bit east of our route and don't have any experience with the NC/VA area.

And yes - we're driving instead of flying. I'm not current and the plane isn't available anyway.

a good web site to reference, play with different routings...or just check it when you're ready for a break and see what's coming up in the next hour or whatever....

We've actually done GMU food when I was working in Greenville a few years ago. Haven't been back since it got refurbished though. Got an updated review?

I actually haven't been there since the refurb either (shame on me). the suggestion was more for the playground for the kids, although I'm not sure if they're past playground age or not. also it appears to be pretty much exactly on your route.

Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, NC.

May be a bit off your route, but the Beechcraft Museum is southeast of Nashville and may be worth a side trip.

Of course that routing begs for the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Yeah.. The thought has crossed my mind. The reason for this trip is to go to an overlanding expo, so outdoorsy/camping/woodsy stuff is right up our alley. Not sure how much my motion-sensitive pax can handle winding roads, though.

Last edited:
The best part of the parkway by far is the section from about Maggie valley west of Asheville to about little Switzerland east of Asheville. You could do that section then go north past banner elk to Bristol where you could jump on i-81.

In VA, you've got the VA Creeper Bike trail, Roanoke is a decent newly hip-ish town to check out. There's Peaks of Otter and Natural Bridge. Up around Arrington are some great apple picking orchards.

Also recommend Blue Ridge/Asheville area. You can go tour the Biltmore, and the River district has lots of cool trails. Greenville, SC is a pretty nice stop as well.

Last edited:
The best part of the parkway by far is the section from about Maggie valley west of Asheville to about little Switzerland east of Asheville. You could do that section then go north past banner elk to Bristol where you could jump on i-81.
it's been a long time but this reminds me of a trip we did once from Florida up through Helen GA, then took the parkway to I'm pretty sure Little Switzerland is where left the parkway headed to Eastern NC for either Christmas or Thanksgiving....it was a sporty hairpin turn descent from the parkway at Switzerland.

Different trips, but up that way, we enjoyed the town of Blowing Rock for a tourist stroll. Closer to Asheville is Chimney Rock which is enjoyable if you like the outdoors and walking trails

C'mon, you're a cheap pilot! Just go on Priceline and book the $84 1-star accommodation along your route of drive, vice the $609 3-star (due to an unforeseen college football home game) . It will truly be a memorable experience for the kids, and will be talked about. For decades.

(Not my proudest moment) :frown2:

Back