(na) retail question

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
I work for a big box store by my own free will. I enjoy people. This year's hot toy is the hatchimals and some Nintendo classic console.

This morning at 0615 went into work. There was a line of 20 grown adults waiting for the above mentioned Nintendo. Cool we make sales but the goober in front was there since 0315! I almost asked what she did to um relieve herself. But was afraid she'd complain so I didn't. Whatcha all think these crazies do when they gotta go? Can't leave the line. Think they're not vain enough and just wear a depends?

Jeez, just a little judgemental aren't we? Just because someone has a passion for something you don't makes them goobers? Maybe it was something she just had to have for her kids and didn't want to miss out. Who cares what their reason is, your job is to complete the sale, not pass judgement on the customers.

If you can't go a short 3 hours without going to the bathroom, you got bigger issues to worry about.

Cheers,
Brian

Jeez, just a little judgemental aren't we? Just because someone has a passion for something you don't makes them goobers? Maybe it was something she just had to have for her kids and didn't want to miss out. Who cares what their reason is, your job is to complete the sale, not pass judgement on the customers.

If you can't go a short 3 hours without going to the bathroom, you got bigger issues to worry about.

Cheers,
Brian
So how long did you wait in line for yours? :rolleyes:

Naaa, they're goobers. At least they aren't bugger eating morons...

Diehards. There's nothing in any store that I have to camp out all night for.

One word for the diehards: A*M*A*Z*O*N

...If you can't go a short 3 hours without going to the bathroom, you got bigger issues to worry about...

Ya. Like you are never going to get invited to go on a cross-country flight in a PoAer's airplane.

One word for the diehards: A*M*A*Z*O*N

The NES Classic has been sold out everywhere since it was released. The only way to find one is to be first at a store in the morning. Amazon won't save them this time.

I heard a story about these Nintendos from someone who wants to buy one for his grandkids. The list price is very reasonable but people are buying them up and making a big profit reselling on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The only way to find one is to be first at a store in the morning. Amazon won't save them this time.
But is it really that much of a necessity, that one must own this?

Same thing happened years ago with the Wii. Everyone had to have one and it grew to the point of trying to find a needle in a haystack, now they're worthless. Where does it end?

The NES Classic has been sold out everywhere since it was released. The only way to find one is to be first at a store in the morning. Amazon won't save them this time.

Don't we go through this just about every year at this time. Some new "object of intense desire" causes presumably otherwise sensible people to lose their minds and act like the kids are running the household? If I had ever suggested to my parents or grandparents that they needed to line up to buy me a Christmas toy I'd have got something more immediate and lasting by way of a lesson than a lump of coal. :fingerwag:

The only time I have waited in line all night for anything was to get into the infield at the Indy 500, and I had my car to wait in and a whole day's supply of beer and food for the three of us.

But is it really that much of a necessity, that one must own this?

Same thing happened years ago with the Wii. Everyone had to have one and it grew to the point of trying to find a needle in a haystack, now they're worthless. Where does it end?

Not just the Wii...how could we forget Furbys, Bratz, Bob the Builder, Teletubbies, Tamagotchie, POGS and all that plasticware from ______ (fill in your favorite: Toy Story, Frozen, Star Wars, Power Rangers...)

If ya just gotta wait in line for the latest cool toy, might as well make it worth your while:

Forget Hatchimals: This Year, Your Child Needs a Mini-Tesla
A collaboration between Radio Flyer and Elon Musk’s auto company, the Tesla Model S for Kids arrives tricked out with a few bite-size bells and peewee whistles, as befits a luxury car aimed at people who, sounding out the phrase, may pronounce it "loo-ex-yoo-ree car." Beyond the 130-watt-hour lithium-ion battery under the rear hood, it features a working MP3 sound system and working LED headlights. There’s also a horn, but it will require only a modicum of technical skill and a simple pair of wire cutters to nip that problem in the bud.

Despite these standard features—and such optional extras as a $20 vanity plate, a $50 car cover, and a $60 premium battery—what really defines the toy’s extravagance is its size. Measuring 52 inches long and 28.5 inches wide, the mini-Musk-mobile takes up a generous bit of space. Even if you have the square footage to spare, there remains the matter of carrying the thing in and out of the house. The nanny will not be pleased to lug its 40 pounds up the stoop of the brownstone...

...I also must offer a parental warning: Do not permit your progeny to drive this whip to a crowded playground unless you’re ready and able to teach an intensive seminar on how to share.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-video-review-of-the-radio-flyer-electric-car

You were never in the military? :D
Lol. Well you got me there! "Hurry up and wait" was certainly a way of life for me for awhile. But waiting in a long line for that awesome Army food was always worth it. :confused:

But I have never waited in line in order to buy the latest fad gizmo whatever nor will I ever do so. I have a life to live.

You were never in the military? :D

Hurry up and wait! I think the longest line I've ever been in was basic training in line for shots. When you finally got there the medics were on both sides and would shoot you on both arms at once. This was during Vietnam area so they were pumping a ton of troops thru.

The only time I have waited in line all night for anything was to get into the infield at the Indy 500
Did the same thing in 1967. Was the guy in the '47 panel truck first in line?

Hurry up and wait! I think the longest line I've ever been in was basic training in line for shots. When you finally got there the medics were on both sides and would shoot you on both arms at once. This was during Vietnam area so they were pumping a ton of troops thru.
And it did not hurt until about 5 steps later when the alcohol finally hit the nerve!

When I went through the line they pumped us up on both sides with the guns and needles with the final shot in the hip. (I was going to say "butt" but I was in the Air Force and only switched words to prevent ridicule) THEN we had to wait for the next guy behind us so we could lock arms and walk back to formation just in case one of us passed out. Nobody ever did but it IS the military with their goofy rules.

Thread creep but I gotta ask...how many of us in the military shot line has seen the dumbass who didn't move quick enough through the line and got two of the same shot?

<---- saw it at least three times

Nintendo classic weird how its so popular. Of course nintendos supply chain management is junk so a lot of it is artificially inflated demand.

Me i'll take my Pi and have a NES, SNES, N64, PSX, Sega genesis, and all the gameboys in one little box. With access to every game for free, since the big N apparently hates money.

Thread creep but I gotta ask...how many of us in the military shot line has seen the dumbass who didn't move quick enough through the line and got two of the same shot?

I jerked and the damn thing rip me open a little bit, blood running down my arm. But I didn't cry. :)

I heard a story about these Nintendos from someone who wants to buy one for his grandkids. The list price is very reasonable but people are buying them up and making a big profit reselling on eBay, Craigslist, etc.
Similar thing happened when the PS4 was released and was very difficult to get.

None were that slow that I saw, but some were to fast...

I jerked and the damn thing rip me open a little bit, blood running down my arm. But I didn't cry. :)

The guy in front of me passed out as soon as the medic pulled the trigger and it sliced him pretty good. Looked like a really bad paper cut. At least they were nice enough to have mats down so the dude didn't end up with a busted nose as well. Worst shot was by far the Plaque series....and this was in the early 90's. Hurt like hell about 8 hours after the shot. Ahh....fond memories of being in the 82nd Airborne....:confused:

Cheers,
Brian

Worst shot was by far the Plaque series....and this was in the early 90's. Hurt like hell about 8 hours after the shot.
Agree. Was mid 60's at end of basic,next day was transit to AIT. Had worst fever and muscle pain ever. Probably infected everyone on plane. Was in 101st.

Lol. Well you got me there! "Hurry up and wait" was certainly a way of life for me for awhile. But waiting in a long line for that awesome Army food was always worth it. :confused:.

It was not below me to put on a 2nd Lt bar and eat in the officers mess. Nobody would talk to me except other butter bars, and they appeared more nervous than I was. Much better eating than the enlisted food.

Waited with some friends to see one of the star wars once, someone brought a play station and projector and played some games on the side of the theatre, food and friends, wasn't the worst time by any means.

That said, waiting alone without that atmosphere just to buy a video game counsel which will be outdated before you even get out on the line, meh, pass

Cheers,
Brian
You've never worked retail, have you?

People get stupid around Christmas, and the only way to deal with it is to make fun of them.

Yes, I sold Transformers for $75 when those were a "thing." Which was something like three times MSRP because they would be gone in 5 minutes after we opened the crates.

To see just how amazingly dumb such sheep can be, witness the Pet Rock. People actually camped out for that, too.

You've never worked retail, have you?

Yes, I have. Put myself through college working retail back in the early 90's. Can be comical at times, but I've never resorted to poking fun at customers or calling them goobers because they wanted to camp out in the wee hours of the morning for the latest marketing gizmo. It was my job to help them get whatever they wanted or felt they absolutely had to have and try to keep them somewhat under control when the doors opened. It wasn't nearly as bad then as it seems to be now.

Those stupid cabbage patch/garbage patch kids almost got me trampled at a Zayre store back in the late 80's when my mother dragged me out to help her find them for my cousins. :(

To see just how amazingly dumb such sheep can be, witness the Pet Rock. People actually camped out for that, too.

Yeah, that's why instead of going to a pet store for my pet rock, I caught an undomesticated one down by the river and tamed it. Unfortunately, it longed to run free and one day it was just gone when I came home. It was years before I was emotionally able to have another pet. I got a dog now but it just ain't the same.

...I also must offer a parental warning: Do not permit your progeny to drive this whip to a crowded playground unless you’re ready and able to teach an intensive seminar on how to share.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-video-review-of-the-radio-flyer-electric-car[/SIZE]

Why not just teach them the real life lesson? "Get your own damn car, and don't touch mine."

Especially amongst Tesla owners or any other popular "status" car.

I'll loan vehicles to certain people, but you're getting the dirty, smelly, 16 year old one.

Back