(NA) Propane cook top versus natural gas

I must be the only here that prefers electric.
I guess I'm ambivalent. With the proper technique, one can't tell the difference between food cooked on one versus food cooked on the other.

No, I think three weeks is long enough, LOL!

I imagine the results CAN be identical between gas and electric, but I have "technique" long developed based on using gas. Not sure I see there is a big difference between induction (which I haven't used) and electric? Maybe heat dissipation is faster with induction? One of the (many) issues I've seen with electric is the SLOW temp drop - bring something to a quick simmer with gas and back off the flame and the change is almost immediate. Not so with electric. And I didn't realize how much I used the open flame directly until I didn't have it.

Air quality isn't an issue as far as I can tell; my new place is basically a beach house, lot's of windows - breeze bowing through as I type. I did have a place with an inherited gas fireplace, and didn't notice

One of the (many) issues I've seen with electric is the SLOW temp drop - bring something to a quick simmer with gas and back off the flame and the change is almost immediate. Not so with electric.

The problem is you're trying to use an electric stove like a gas stove. Take it off the burner until it cools down, or better yet, anticipate and turn the burner down before it reaches that point. It takes time to learn how to do that. I used to be very anti-electric but after actually using electric for awhile, realized I was wrong.

The problem is you're trying to use an electric stove like a gas stove. Take it off the burner until it cools down, or better yet, anticipate and turn the burner down before it reaches that point. It takes time to learn how to do that. I used to be very anti-electric but after actually using electric for awhile, realized I was wrong.
That's all nice, but my significant other prefers cooking with gas.

There's no way I'm going to argue with and mansplain to her how she could adapt back to electric.

Or I'll be be cooking all of our dinners moving forward.

So we happily have a propane tank in the yard.

(Speaking of cooking with propane, we have repurposed out old turkey fryer burner to our patio for wok cooking and beef searing/blackening. What an awesome upgrade having a gazillion BTUs available to actually sear stuff vs. the slow boil on a stovetop.)

So, I think a local plumber can run a propane line in for a gas stove - question: Is propane cooking about the same as natural gas?

Yes. Assuming the correct nozzles got installed. A few percent difference in energy content.

....Something to think about is if you get a leak, propane sinks to the floor and stays there, or so I've heard. I think they make detectors for this.
That is true. RVs and travel trailers use propane. The gas detector is mounted just a couple of inches above the floor.

The "danger" of gas stoves is increased with tighter homes... that is, little to no exchange of air in the house

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about that, my house is drafty, which suits me just fine, I'm the kind who sleeps with the window cracked open in the winter.

We've had an electric stove for years in the house, though it's always been gas in the cabin. I prefer gas but my wife is ambivalent. We just replaced the electric stove with a gas one (with electric oven) as the final step in converting everything else to propane (furnace was oil, now 3 individual gas heaters, then I replaced the electric dryer and water heater with gas models). Two 420# tanks at the house, two 100# tanks at the cabin (stove, water heater, and dryer).

I imagine the results CAN be identical between gas and electric, but I have "technique" long developed based on using gas. Not sure I see there is a big difference between induction (which I haven't used) and electric? Maybe heat dissipation is faster with induction? One of the (many) issues I've seen with electric is the SLOW temp drop - bring something to a quick simmer with gas and back off the flame and the change is almost immediate. Not so with electric. And I didn't realize how much I used the open flame directly until I didn't have it.

Air quality isn't an issue as far as I can tell; my new place is basically a beach house, lot's of windows - breeze bowing through as I type. I did have a place with an inherited gas fireplace, and didn't notice

That is what I actually prefer about electric is that it doesn't cool down so I can shut off the power early and let it continue to cook.

Induction changes power level to the food just as quickly as gas (either one). Note that doesn't necessarily mean instantly if you are talking about a high heat capacity pan like cast iron that is very hot - but still exactly like gas.

The only thing that I miss about a gas stove is being able to roast things (marshmallows usually) over the open flame - now I just use the grill when I want to do something like that.

Probably not what I want to do when using multiple burners - it'll get a little crowded on the cook top. Also not looking good for things with very short times between "perfect" and "hockey puck." Like searing scallops. I'm sure you're correct, I could adapt, I suppose - I guess I don't want to. I might ask around with friends, see if anyone has an induction cook top I could try, though. . .

Probably not what I want to do when using multiple burners - it'll get a little crowded on the cook top. Also not looking good for things with very short times between "perfect" and "hockey puck." Like searing scallops. I'm sure you're correct, I could adapt, I suppose - I guess I don't want to. I might ask around with friends, see if anyone has an induction cook top I could try, though. . .

The induction top only gets hot from the heat of the pan. Adjusting the temperature control brings pretty much instant results as far as lowering the temperature. You should give it a try, but like anything there still will be a learning curve.

One does not without extra gear, hence the question in the OP.

Nauga,
torchy

I dunno. I had a tenant once who flambe'd the all-electric kitchen in my rental house, so it's possible. Not sure she used extra gear.

I had a electric stove 30 years ago that I didn't use. So I had stuff sitting on top of it like a telephone. One of my friends leaned against it and turned one of the burners on...the one with the phone sitting on top of it. We left and went to the bar. Came home at 3am and the electric burner burned out luckily and the phone was destroyed along with the inside of my house. But my house did not burn down, bummer. I had to move out for a while while a restoration company repaired the inside of my house from the melted plastic soot.
I have had gas everything in my home ever since. Not meaning it was the electric stove fault. Just that I was a dumbazz for having stuff on top of a stove while it was plugged in.

I had a electric stove 30 years ago that I didn't use. So I had stuff sitting on top of it like a telephone. One of my friends leaned against it and turned one of the burners on...the one with the phone sitting on top of it. We left and went to the bar. Came home at 3am and the electric burner burned out luckily and the phone was destroyed along with the inside of my house. But my house did not burn down, bummer. I had to move out for a while while a restoration company repaired the inside of my house from the melted plastic soot.
I have had gas everything in my home ever since. Not meaning it was the electric stove fault. Just that I was a dumbazz for having stuff on top of a stove while it was plugged in.

New failure modes then creep in.

On more than one occasion, I have wondered why the kitchen smelled like propane.

Then look at the stove and realize that someone "leaned against it and turned one of the burners on". Except didn't turn it far enough to spark ignite.

That is true. RVs and travel trailers use propane. The gas detector is mounted just a couple of inches above the floor.
…and boat galleys use tanked natural gas - sailors don’t want their bilges full of flammable gas.

…and boat galleys use tanked natural gas - sailors don’t want their bilges full of flammable gas.

Gasoline evaporates and the fumes are heavier than air, as well. All inboard gasoline-powered boats are required to have bilge blowers to mechanically ventilate the bilges and dump the fumes overboard.

-Skip

Propane has more energy pound for pound than Natural gas, so it should be hotter.
Two errors there. First, all hydrocarbons, from methane (natural gas) through roofing tar have about the same energy content per *pound*

but, since density varies, BTU content per cubic foot or gallon varies widely.

second, flame temperature does not correlate well to density … it’s a function of combustion dynamics, that are impacted by molecule structure, etc.

here’s some typical flame temperatures, in air. Burning with oxygen raises temps:

methane 1,957 °C
propane 1,980 °C
butane 1,970 °C
candle 1,000 °C [paraffin, heavier than jet fuel]

These are at peak EGT… if one burner is setup ROP and another LOP, results will vary.

Paul

Gasoline evaporates and the fumes are heavier than air, as well. All inboard gasoline-powered boats are required to have bilge blowers to mechanically ventilate the bilges and dump the fumes overboard.

-Skip
As well as spark protected "marine" starters, alternators, and distributors.

The induction top only gets hot from the heat of the pan. Adjusting the temperature control brings pretty much instant results as far as lowering the temperature. You should give it a try, but like anything there still will be a learning curve.
But I can, and do, toast up some marshmallows on my gas cooktop. They are fine if you've got a great vent hood. Which one should have, if they have working smoke detectors!

Read it - very much a "might", "maybe", "possibly" piece. . . one line stood out: "There are no studies out there that say cooking with gas will make someone sick."

Tried the induction cooktop at a friends - it's essentially an electric stovetop, but it does (or the pan does) drop temp much more like a gas cooktop does. Better than electric, not as good as gas. Two months in, and yeah, electric does suck. I'll have to go either propane or induction - leaning toward propane. . .just replaced my HVAC, so cooktop is on a brief hold.

Natural gas vs LNG? I can’t tell a difference. They require a different orifice and my propane range needed the simmer flame adjusted on all burners but once done? It’s no different than the last four gas ranges I’ve had. This time we did get a dual fuel range, so gas burners and electric ovens. Love it. Already had that in the Alaska house and don’t want another gas oven.

Natural gas vs LNG? I can’t tell a difference. They require a different orifice and my propane range needed the simmer flame adjusted on all burners but once done? It’s no different than the last four gas ranges I’ve had. This time we did get a dual fuel range, so gas burners and electric ovens. Love it. Already had that in the Alaska house and don’t want another gas oven.
Do you broil in your electric ovens?

Read it - very much a "might", "maybe", "possibly" piece. . . one line stood out: "There are no studies out there that say cooking with gas will make someone sick."

also love the "linked to cancer" claim. Think of the CA Prop 65 warnings... where everything in the world is linked to cancer.

Do you broil in your electric ovens?

I just used my electric oven for broiling last week. I much prefer the finish and taste from a gas broil, but it still crisped it up and browned it okay. As a general rule, the stuff I've cooked in electric ovens comes a little bit "wetter" than the same thing cooked in a gas oven would be, and the broiler results followed the same trend.

I've been using solely electric for about 1.5 years now, after learning how to cook on a gas stove and using solely natural gas stoves for nearly 15 years before switching. I am still not completely used to it, and will forget and revert to my gas stove habits every now and then. There was a very steep, very long learning curve for me switching to electric, but it does get better if you want to just stick it out. For me, it took roughly five or six months until I had a better handle on how to get the results I wanted, and I burnt, overcooked, and undercooked a lot of stuff. I had to remake some part of the meal more times than I want to admit. Now, though, I usually just overcook eggs a little or burn something a little if I forget to take the pan off the burner when I turn it off (RIP, slivered almonds that I had toasted and didn't realize were still cooking until I smelt their burnt-ness through my stuffy nose...:oops:).

Last edited:
I have a Viking home store running off propane. Running on propane is lower BTU on the burners, but it is not a huge difference.

But for electric, look into induction cook tops. Instant response and the cook top stays cool. Only the pot/pan get hot.

Love the induction for cooking and cleaning too. It is way more difficult to get something burned on to the cooktop compared to gas or standard electric. I have managed to do it once in five years.

As a general rule, electric ovens cook with more humidity than gas stoves, so their result is a little bit "wetter" than the same thing cooked in a gas oven would be.
I would have expected the opposite since water is a byproduct of burning gas. For propane combustion, it's:
C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

For Methane, it's:
CH4 + 2 O2 -> CO2 + 2 H2O

I would have expected the opposite since water is a byproduct of burning gas. For propane combustion, it's:
C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

For Methane, it's:
CH4 + 2 O2 -> CO2 + 2 H2O

I don't know the science, so you are probably right. All I know is that every time you open an electric oven door, a wave of very humid-feeling air comes rushing out, whereas the heat from a gas oven is very dry-feeling. And the food from an electric oven is more moist when it comes out of the oven compared to gas. I'll fix my post to reflect my ignorance. :)

Yes. Assuming the correct nozzles got installed. A few percent difference in energy content.

On my Viking, you change a setting on the regulator. No nozzle or burner changes.

You change the orifice. Most gas ranges include a propane orifice with in installation manual. Just did it a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know the science, so you are probably right. All I know is that every time you open an electric oven door, a wave of very humid-feeling air comes rushing out, whereas the heat from a gas oven is very dry-feeling. And the food from an electric oven is more moist when it comes out of the oven compared to gas. I'll fix my post to reflect my ignorance. :)
Probably because the gas ovens have to be ventilated to support the combustion. Electric can be sealed better for higher efficiency.

Back