[NA]Preheating (the motherboard)[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I found some more time to consider the stupit computer I have that won't start unless I put a space heater in front of the motherboard.

I would like to replace the computer as suggested... but first - I am thinking I will do a mirror image copy of the old computer and then transplant that onto the new computer.

Technically simple? Just erase the new computer and install the mirror image?

I was planning to buy a 300gB external harddrive to use as a backup... can I use this to make the mirror drive??
What software to make the mirror?

Mirroring is good idea for backup, but with Windows it doesn't work so well between computer models. That means you shouldn't think you can just "erase" the new hard drive. You would need a full copy of Windows to install and it has to be able to sniff out the new hardware as it installs.

For drive imaging get Acronis True Image. You can download it from <a href="http://www.newegg.com">NewEgg</a>.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681080903SF

BUT, get a Mac for your new PC. The "genuises" at the Genius Bar at your local Apple store will copy your old data across for you. Hold on a few weeks to see if Steve Jobs unveils a new Intel Mac Mini.

Last edited:
Mike,

Bad luck here with Aloha Bob. Really bad luck.

If you get a new computer, Windows variety, plan on reinstalling all the software regardless of AlohaBob.

Dave, if it's a motherboard problem, why not take a look on EBay for a replacement. I just did that with the computer I use for OnTop, I think it was $15 plus shipping.

bill

wsuffa said:
Bad luck here with Aloha Bob. Really bad luck.
Me too. I said Aloha to Bob. :mad:

I forget exactly what the issues were but I think I spent more trying to get it to work than I did reinstalling the applications!

Ditto what others said (not about Bob - never used Bob)

If you get a new computer, plan on starting from a clean installation, install the software again, and then transfer the data files from the old computer. You could even put the old hard drive in the new computer as a second drive, and thus ensure you lose no data and gradually move it to where it belongs on the new drive, slowly wiping the old drive clean and then you could use that as an internal backup drive.

Doing that in ADDITION to the 300gb external drive would be redundant backup, which is GOOD.

mikea said:
Mirroring is good idea for backup, but with Windows it doesn't work so well between computer models. That means you shouldn't think you can just "erase" the new hard drive. You would need a full copy of Windows to install and it has to be able to sniff out the new hardware as it installs.

I didn't mention a key point. It's common not to get a full copy of Windows with a new PC. Ironically, you get a hard drive image on DVDs or CDs. The problem with that is the image includes all of the crapware the PC maker got paid to install. You have to go in and delete those one by one off of your "clean" install.

Microsoft likes that you don't really get a copy of Windows so it limits piracy.

The PC maker and crap makers like that you can't escape the crap.

Did you think it was YOUR PC?

Once again, get a Mac. The oodles of bundled stuff from Apple is good, not crap.

mikea said:
Once again, get a Mac. The oodles of bundled stuff from Apple is good, not crap.
Do old versions of Quickbooks run on a Mac? With PC-based data files?

Remember, he's replacing an office computer that requires use of an older version of QB. Plus he's got others that use it. So in addition to the cost of the computer, he's got training costs for both himself and his employees.

Macs have their place. I'm not sure this is one of them.

Brian Austin said:
Macs have their place.

Yep. Right next to Commodore 64s and Amigas.

edit: forgot the smiley

:D

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Yep. Right next to Commodore 64s and Amigas.

Be nice now! ;) I started out on 64's & Amigas. In fact.. I still have a couple of compete working systems today. Just kept them for "S&G's".

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Dakota Duce said:
Be nice now! ;) I started out on 64's & Amigas. In fact.. I still have a couple of compete working systems today. Just kept them for "S&G's".

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

I'll bet my 64 has a lower serial number than yours. :D 30,000 range.

Back