[NA] PNW vacation

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have 2 weeks, thinking of a driving tour.
Can start at any major airport.
Will rent car & motel it.
What route?
-we would immediately leave the city, and avoid people/urban areas the entire time.
-like landforms & vistas, oceans & mountains
Probably this June.

Seattle and Portland are great towns, but the change in these places is... disappointing.

I was thinking Ranier, Washington, St Helens, and we loved flying over eastern Wa, it looked so...halcyonic.
The PCH looks nice, thanks for that tip. We did Big Sur from LA to SanJose. Possibly similar? Hopefully less landslides?

The cannery pier spa in Astoria is great plus you can visit the filming locations of the Goonies. I grew up south east of Seattle and it was great in the 80s and 90s but I wonder why I came back. There are cool things like the museum of flight, Seattle Aquarium, Space Needle and so on but try to ignore the other things... My uncle knew most of the people that the streets are named after and I'm sure he is spinning in his grave.

We also have Northwest Trek (https://www.nwtrek.org/), Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, Leavenworth (https://leavenworth.org/) and much more. When I graduated in 93 I just wanted to leave. After I left all I wanted to do was come back. I've been all over the world and there are few places as beautiful as Washington. In 2 hours from any town on the west side you can be at the ocean, in a rain forest, on one of the highest mountain peaks in north America, snow skiing, or in a desert.

You should also think about Snoqualmie Falls and the resort there. (https://www.snoqualmiefalls.com)

2 weeks on PCH under the "no cities" rubric would chafe me, but Banff sounds like it would fit the bill if you can add Canada to the mix.

I find the oregon and washington coastlines mostly depressing (except maybe Depoe Bay, and I have love for Astoria as a goonies fan even though, as a town, it would be perfectly cromulent in Kentucky) -- and puget sound has a bunch of stunning bits. I'd probably head for Bend OR when I was about mid-OR state, and follow the columbia river out to the coast before shooting north

Hard to design someone else's trip. Things I like (and road trips are up there) are not likely the things you like :D

2 weeks on PCH under the "no cities" rubric would chafe me, but Banff sounds like it would fit the bill if you can add Canada to the mix.

I find the oregon and washington coastlines mostly depressing (except maybe Depoe Bay, and I have love for Astoria as a goonies fan even though, as a town, it would be perfectly cromulent in Kentucky) -- and puget sound has a bunch of stunning bits. I'd probably head for Bend OR when I was about mid-OR state, and follow the columbia river out to the coast before shooting north

Hard to design someone else's trip. Things I like (and road trips are up there) are not likely the things you like :D

Banff is awesome! I go to Bend every year and stay at Sun River (https://www.sunriverresort.com/). They even have a great runway (http://www.airnav.com/airport/s21).

I've heard Newport(OR) is nice, they have a cute aquarium and the airport does a BBQ on Saturdays.

Luckily I just live here.

The landslides on 101 can be minimal when it's not raining heavily. So about 2-3 days per year.

I believe calling 101 'PCH' is like calling I-5 'The 5' and restricted to people from California.

I have 2 weeks, thinking of a driving tour.
Can start at any major airport.
Will rent car & motel it.
What route?
-we would immediately leave the city, and avoid people/urban areas the entire time.
-like landforms & vistas, oceans & mountains
Probably this June.
“…-like landforms & vistas, oceans & mountains…” ya say. Columbia River Gorge is a must. Look into it. They got some new you have to get a reservation to drive the old scenic highway going on. The Cascades just about anywhere will give you your mountain fix. The Wallowas in Eastern Oregon also. Hells Canyon. Lava River Cave near Bend, OR. And lava cone and all the lava flows around there. Grand Coulee in Washington. Olympic Mountain. They gots a whole National Park around that full of Vistas. Mount St. Helens of course. Crater Lake. PDX would probably be a good starting point. The Coast between Lincoln City and Newport is probably the best stretch for views and geology.

Columbia river gorge is nice to visit, along with Washington wine country. You might want to consider taking the 101 around the Olympic Peninsula with its spectacular views of the Straits of Juan De Fuca, Olympic NP, the rainforest and cool little towns like Port Townsend. You can even catch a ferry over to Victoria from there. The PCH from Astoria down to Coos Bay is also a bucket list type drive.

Columbia river gorge is nice to visit, along with Washington wine country. You might want to consider taking the 101 around the Olympic Peninsula with its spectacular views of the Straits of Juan De Fuca, Olympic NP, the rainforest and cool little towns like Port Townsend. You can even catch a ferry over to Victoria from there. The PCH from Astoria down to Coos Bay is also a bucket list type drive.

"The 101"??? Did you live in the UK or southern California in a previous life? We certainly don't call it that in the Pacific Northwe(s)t. As a suggestion to the OP, bring something rain-proof with you. In the summer you may not need it, but it is better to be safe than wet.

Rich makes excellent suggestions about things to see in this corner of the US. There are plenty of things to see and do, and a week or two is nowhere near enough time to do them all.

"The 101"??? Did you live in the UK or southern California in a previous life? We certainly don't call it that in the Pacific Northwe(s)t. As a suggestion to the OP, bring something rain-proof with you. In the summer you may not need it, but it is better to be safe than wet.

Rich makes excellent suggestions about things to see in this corner of the US. There are plenty of things to see and do, and a week or two is nowhere near enough time to do them all.

I did live in the PNW for 8 years. My in-laws still live there.

Oregon cost is awesome... we did that drive two summers ago. We're planning it again for 2023

San Juan Islands. You can take car ferries.

FLy into SeaTac.
Go north to Anacortes, then use ferries to visit San Juan and Orcas islands, at least a full day each.
Go east on Hwy 542 to Artist point and hike at the top.
Come back to I-5, then go east on hwy 20 to Diablo Lake.
Come back to Anacortes, hike Deception pass SP, drive south on Whidby island and take a ferry to Port Townsend. See the town, hike Fort Warden, visit the Port Townsend air museum (it's a gem), then drive to Sequim and hike Dungeness spit.
Hike around Lake Crescent, then visit Cape Flattery, 2nd beach, Hoh Forest, Ruby Beach, Westport (town and beach).
Head to Mt St Helens, drive to the end of the road, then hike as far as you can.
Head to Mt Rainier and hike as much as you can.
Go back to Seattle and fly out.

If you’re a fly-fisherman June is a good time to go catch summer steelhead in the Hoh, and the chinook are also running there too. If you end up wanting to fly fish send me a PM, one of my good friends used to own the fly shop in Port Angeles and would know exactly where to send you to get the best fishing.

Fair warning: If you spend too much time on the Olympic Peninsula you may just end up not ever leaving. It’s an enchanting place.

San Juan Islands. You can take car ferries.

Better yet, fly out to Friday Harbor. We did a number of years ago and while sitting at an outdoor table enjoying lunch the ferry came in. We thought about how long those people had been traveling and how long it would take them to get back to the mainland. While all we had to do was walk back to the airport and hop in the 182. 50 minutes later we would be landing at OLM. :)

If you’re a fly-fisherman June is a good time to go catch summer steelhead in the Hoh, and the chinook are also running there too. If you end up wanting to fly fish send me a PM, one of my good friends used to own the fly shop in Port Angeles and would know exactly where to send you to get the best fishing.

Fair warning: If you spend too much time on the Olympic Peninsula you may just end up not ever leaving. It’s an enchanting place.

Amen to that last comment. The Olympic Peninsula is a great place to visit.

Better yet, fly out to Friday Harbor. We did a number of years ago and while sitting at an outdoor table enjoying lunch the ferry came in. We thought about how long those people had been traveling and how long it would take them to get back to the mainland. While all we had to do was walk back to the airport and hop in the 182. 50 minutes later we would be landing at OLM. :)

Amen to that last comment. The Olympic Peninsula is a great place to visit.

This.
Born and raised in the San Juans, moved away for college and life since. Dad still lives there. Ferries are a train wreck right now. The reservation system has been hit and miss due to missing (broken) ferries and crew shortages.

The islands are worth visiting, but I’d do it by plane. If you end up wanting to do it by ferry and/or need any info let me know.

FLy into SeaTac.
Go north to Anacortes, then use ferries to visit San Juan and Orcas islands, at least a full day each.
Go east on Hwy 542 to Artist point and hike at the top.
Come back to I-5, then go east on hwy 20 to Diablo Lake.
Come back to Anacortes, hike Deception pass SP, drive south on Whidby island and take a ferry to Port Townsend. See the town, hike Fort Warden, visit the Port Townsend air museum (it's a gem), then drive to Sequim and hike Dungeness spit.
Hike around Lake Crescent, then visit Cape Flattery, 2nd beach, Hoh Forest, Ruby Beach, Westport (town and beach).
Head to Mt St Helens, drive to the end of the road, then hike as far as you can.
Head to Mt Rainier and hike as much as you can.
Go back to Seattle and fly out.

Another +1 for this. So much cool stuff to do around the Sound.....and the Peninsula and Islands. Have lived on Whidbey Island for over 2 years now, and it is hands down, the most incredible nature I've ever experienced (though I imagine AK has areas that are equal to or wilder). It is hard to capture the diversity of climates, ecology and wildlife in a 100 mile radius to anyone who hasn't seen it....so just go see it :) Was having a beer out the deck on Friday and watched an enormous bald eagle land in her nest high up in a Doug fir tree, and all you could hear was the little eagle chicks squawking. And then a little eagle went flying away. One was also just sitting there next to the taxiway as I led my flight of grey warplanes out to the hold short a few months ago. That was about the most freedom that has ever occurred. We also have an owl family that lives in the treeline behind my property....awesome for a moonlight drink with the wife on the deck after the kids are in bed.

Might not be in the cards for this particular trip, but WA and OR have world class hunting, fishing, and up here, crabbing/shrimping/plucking weird crustaceans from their homes. Tons of mountain biking, ski/snowboarding, hiking, boating, whatever you can imagine. If you are any type of outdoorsman, it's incredible

Last edited:
Friday Harbor on San Juan Island is a great little town, but if you want to avoid cities, you might prefer Eastsound airport on Orcas Island. There is a town there, but just barely. You can also fly into ROche Harbor on San Juan Island. It's a private strip, but is open to the public. They have a hotel, a couple of restaurants and a sculpture garden (about 6 acres) that is great to walk through on a summer day. Once done with the San Juans, I'd recommend driving the whole North Cascades Highway (Hwy 20) from Concrete, WA to Winthrop, WA. It is one of the most scenic highways in the world. LOTS of craggy peaks all around and a very twisty, serpentine road. Plenty of scenic viewpoints and day hikes available. Winthrop is a small town out of a Wester movie set. One of the bars has saddles on the bar stools. When done with WInthrop, drive over to Lake Chelan on the east side of the Cascades for a completely different environment (mostly desert). Visit Dry Falls. It is where the Columbia River fell off of a 2 mile wide waterfall over 300' high before the last ice age blocked the river. When the ice dam broke, the river blasted a new channel where it runs today. From Dry falls, head back over the Cascades through the town of Leavenworth. It is a slice of Bavaria in the Pacific Northwest. If you're comfortable landing on grass strips, the State of Washington maintains a series of grass runways up in the mountains. They are only open June through September. Tieton State (4S6) and Wenatchee State (27W) are a couple of the nicest. Here's some images a video for reference:

Liberty Bell Mountain - with Highway 20 snaking along below it
zYiMA6vl.jpg

Diablo Lake on Hwy 20
3m9Yfgll.jpg

Saddle Seats in Winthrop
yIcLYuzl.jpg

The Bavarian town of Leavenworth nestled into the Cascades
Z2Zc6gEl.jpg

The approach to Wenatchee State grass strip in the Cascades:
h47CYgBl.jpg

Video of flying in to Wenatchee State:

Back