NA- Please fill out a will and let your relatives know about it.

Condolences....

When my mother passed a few years ago (father passed long before), she had everything set up. The *will* had almost zero assets. She was advised to put all money in conservative investments, than list beneficiaries. The proper investments are basically tax free and do not have to go through probate. It worked well... Right down to having her car dual registered so my sister could just take control without probate. Prudent planning rules the day.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and posts!

Right now, since there is no will, we will be splitting the assets. I know my father wouldnt have wanted that, but without a will I have no legal fight. And since there is no will, no one has any legal rights to do anything until the estate case has been opened and an administrator named. So I cant call the bank and see if he has a safety deposit box (which I would guess he wouldn't since that cost money), even though I have the same name and have proof I am his son, or do anything basic like cancel his insurance or SS.

Thanks again for wishes.

Again condolences. Just FYI, in many locales (I know California for example) there is a provision for the next of kin to conduct a will search at a safe deposit box. Usually if there are multiple next of kin, more than one next of kin needs to be present at the safe deposit box opening and the bank is present for the opening AND THE ONLY THING ONE CAN LOOK FOR IS THE WILL, might be something to look into. Safe Deposit Box is most likely location for a will.

If there was a safety deposit box, then there also was a key. Only way you're finding that is to go looking for it, in person. There will also be the annual fee and annual bill in records if he kept them, even if the key is not found. Biggest thing to do right now is make sure no financial records walk off or get thrown out. The vast majority of the details are contained therein. Just have to look for them.

Condolences on your loss and thank you for the reminder. Not only do my wife and I have a will but we keep a folder with all the important documents in the safe. Two very good friends (and I mean VERY good) have that combination and family knows to contact them in the event of a catastrophic event.

Yup, it's a good idea to have more than one person (and preferably folks younger and healthier than you) have that information!

Back