[NA]Nikon Cam[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Nikon camera Coolpix 4600

a lot of pics show up with some large fraction of the photo cut off.
could be one side the side of the photo, the bottom of it, randomly.
could be 10% or 50% and sometimes 100% of the photo.

Any ideas?

the rep says you cannot delete individual photos off the card and then continue shooting, you have to dl to the puter and then delete all

Any ideas?

Are they cut off? or just black?

I'd say take it back to the store.

the rep says you cannot delete individual photos off the card and then continue shooting, you have to dl to the puter and then delete all

I have NEVER heard of a digital camera that can't delete photos individually. Either your rep is an idiot, or it's a very poorly designed camera.

Does the same thing occur with another memory card? Different brand/capacity, not an identical card. Does it happen when saving images to internal memory if it has it?

IMO, customer service of any kind seldom understands what they're selling or diagnosing then shoot the parts cannon at a problem. If the camera can delete single images, I call hogwash on that answer.

"I got a Nikon camera
I love take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away"

Sorry - it's all I got ...

Are they damaged in the camera (preview on the camera's screen), or only on the 'puter? Seems like I have seen this before, sometimes damaged in copying from camera to computer.

wish I could answer these q's, its Dad's - he's visiting from 000 miles away, no card reader here and he did not bring his cable (against my strict instructions)
Doesnt sound like a user error anyway...that was my main concern.

Seems like I have seen this before, sometimes damaged in copying from camera to computer.

My 2005 HP620 point and shoot had a problem with MLC or was it non-MLC SD cards. It would take the picture and display them ok then they'd be frigging gone or hosed up at best. Basically it turned out that the older SD cards would simply dump or bugger up the images. The older cards were totally unusable. The newer cards required a firmware update. A SD card that starts to fail has assorted crazy random problems with images.

wish I could answer these q's, its Dad's - he's visiting from 000 miles away, no card reader here and he did not bring his cable (against my strict instructions)

What kind of card? CF (Compact Flash)?

And you never answered: do the pics look OK on the camera's screen?

This may sound silly--but are you sure that part of the lens isn't being covered up by a finger? The reason I ask: Back in my old tech support days that was the most common camera problem :)

Can you post a picture that has this problem?

its a Transcend 256mb "80X" lockable, 3yr old SD card

the pics appear this way on the camera and the computer

pretty sure its not a finger, they are pretty straight lines, and appear

top/bottom/side/whole pic -good idea, have a look:

you guys are the best to help.

gee, right now that looks like the window frame....but assuredly there are others as I describe.

Attachments

• DSCN2497.JPG
    DSCN2497.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 17
Looks like a shutter problem.

Yea. Especially considering the date/time stamp on the image is intact in the black area.

How does the shutter work in one of those point/shoot digital cameras that you can do live view through the CCD anyway?

Nice view...

Dave,

Most likely a lens problem of some sort. If he has a warranty send it in for repair. If there is no warranty I personally wouldn't bother getting it fixed. It is an 'old' camera and a lens issue isn't going to be that cost effective. You could try to send it to Nikon for a cash repair, your mileage may vary.

BTW. This site sells them refurbished for $79. No idea if they are reputable or not:
http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=279&sku=NIKCP4600R

I can't believe no one has said, "What's Kodachrome?"

Maybe because I've shot lots of it over the years? Just not recently.

Kodachrome II for years, then that became Kodachrome 25 and I used Kodachrome 64 until I quit shooting slides. My old Minolta SRT-102 was well used.

Last edited:
"calibrated smack up side the camera's head - good as new!" :)

"I got a Nikon camera
I love take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away"

Sorry - it's all I got ...

Kodachrome... Blech... you should be using Velvia 50! :D

Maybe because I've shot lots of it over the years? Just not recently.

Kodachrome II for years, then that became Kodachrome 25 and I used Kodachrome 64 until I quit shooting slides. My old Minolta SRT-102 was well used.
Kodachrome 64 is the only Kodachrome still made, and only one place in the world, Dwayne's, processes it commercially anymore.

Kodachrome 64 is the only Kodachrome still made, and only one place in the world, Dwayne's, processes it commercially anymore.
So, do I have some collectors items here? These have been in my refrigerator for years, and I see them every time I open the door. I probably should trash them... today. The Kodachrome has a "process before" date of 01/1990, the Ektar 125 is 11/1991 and the Plus-X is 12/1984. :redface:

Attachments

• Film [800x600].JPG
    Film [800x600].JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
So, do I have some collectors items here? These have been in my refrigerator for years, and I see them every time I open the door. I probably should trash them... today. The Kodachrome has a "process before" date of 01/1990, the Ektar 125 is 11/1991 and the Plus-X is 12/1984. :redface:
Can't answer that for you. Harley?

$10 buys you a universal card reader at the corner drug store....

Kodachrome... Blech... you should be using Velvia 50! :D

Ektachrome. Used to shoot a lot of it and process at home. Could even push it a bit...

Both Fujichrome (velvia) and Ektachrome are E-6 process films with the chromes being stable for 4-5 years and then degrading over the next 50 to not much. Kodachrome is a K-14 dye transfer process which is archival. If you want your images to last "forever" have them duped onto Kodachrome or digitize them on a high res scanner.

At the height of Kodachrome usage I think there were only like 9 K-14 machines in the world.

You have wasted refrigerator space is what you have right there.

That's OK, I don't keep much in it anyway. :redface:

Seriously, you might as well throw it away iunless it has sentimental value, then take it out of the fridge and put them on a shelf, they're no good as film anymore. The Kodachrome has a chance, but most likely you have some stuck spots on the film.

Seriously, you might as well throw it away iunless it has sentimental value, then take it out of the fridge and put them on a shelf, they're no good as film anymore. The Kodachrome has a chance, but most likely you have some stuck spots on the film.
Haha, I would never try to use them but I don't clean out my stuff too often. I only recently threw out some spices and canned food that was, oh, 20-25 years old...

Back