NA National Weather Service Buys Ammo NA

Gonna get those geese out of the airport flyways for good. If the NWS doesn't get them all, the DHS follows up.

Cheers

Don't know why they'd need cop ammo or ammo at all. However, I'm more concerned about the extreme amounts of ammo the DHS just bought. I guess they anticipate a large amount of civil unrest at some point.

NWS forecast an uprising of angry fishermen. They just want to be prepared.

Not a big deal at all. Ammo went to the National Marine Fisheries Service, which does have a law enforcement branch. Ammo for cops! Who thought of that stupid idea?

16,000 rounds is a "huge" purchase?

please people, get a grip on reality.

DHS runs the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Georgia. They train close to 90 agencies there and thousands of people a year. I've spent 6 months there for fun myself. There is lot of shooting there going on there. And DHS also has their subordinate agencies they buy ammo for. 450 million rounds is a lot, but I also think that they are buying now to stockpile for future use. The more you buy, the better the discount.

> 16,000 rounds is a "huge" purchase?
> please people, get a grip on reality.

Amen. DHS also runs the FAM training ... and each FAM shoots ~1,000
rounds/day, during (basic) training.

Heck, last week lil olde me bought 3,000 rounds of .45 230 gr hollow points
(because I got a screaming good deal).

Last edited:
Just about every agency has some folks who are sworn federal agents and gun-toters. I think nmfs is part of commerce. Also, in lots of cases one agency will do the contracting for other smaller units. In Treasury, the IRS does contracts for most of the department.

Bottom line is this isn't something to wonder about.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

The only person who said "huge" was talking about some other purchase by DHS. Not this 16,000 round purchase.

Your "grip" is the one that slipped. ;) Here, have a helping hand. :) :) :)

My agency gives each of us 300 rounds a year to shoot outside of training and twice yearly quals. That's over a million rounds there. I probably shot 200-300 rounds every range session at FLETC. With the range scehduled 2-3 days a week, it adds up very fast.

I'll only start worrying when the Postal Service starts buying ammo . . .

DHS runs the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Georgia. They train close to 90 agencies there and thousands of people a year. I've spent 6 months there for fun myself. There is lot of shooting there going on there. And DHS also has their subordinate agencies they buy ammo for. 450 million rounds is a lot, but I also think that they are buying now to stockpile for future use. The more you buy, the better the discount.

I could really stir the pot here, but then I'd have to banish the thread to Spin Zone.

The only person who said "huge" was talking about some other purchase by DHS. Not this 16,000 round purchase.

Your "grip" is the one that slipped. ;) Here, have a helping hand. :) :) :)

I was quoting the story in the link provided by the OP.

I was quoting the story in the link provided by the OP.

Ahh. I ignore the actual Internet headlines these days. I had to go look again to see it. The headlines are designed to be just ultra-sensationalist enough to get more clicks. Totally tuned it out. Sorry.

I'll only start worrying when the Postal Service starts buying ammo . . .

They probably do. The postal inspectors service, the agency that investigates mail fraud, is a law enforcement agency. Some of the large postal sorting facilities have their own 'special police'.

Today I went to NIH in Bethesda, MD. To drive your vehicle into the facility, it has to go through a 10min inspection, mirrors, scope into the tank and all. The campus is now surrounded by a sturdy fence with a 6-cable vehicle barrier about 10ft in. I know folks are upset about the healthcare law, I didn't know they are that upset :eek: .

16000 rounds sounds like a 'good weekend' :)

Year end money is my guess. Since congress hasn't passed a budget in over three years. Continuing resolution causes all sorts of problems phasing expenditures. Q1 of FY is almost no money. Q2 and Q3 lean and Q4 all of a sudden money is available and "must" be spent. Nothing wrong when an agency uses that to stick up on needs, ie. ammo or paper. Stupid when useless junk gets bought with year end money but that's another thread

speaking of buying lots of ammo, anyone know where I can find good deals on .380 auto. Going to get a few friends together to split some if I can find a good deal.

speaking of buying lots of ammo, anyone know where I can find good deals on .380 auto. Going to get a few friends together to split some if I can find a good deal.

cheaper than dirt, midway usa, sportsmans guide for online. dunhams sports or your local farm & fleet store locally if you have them.

They probably do. The postal inspectors service, the agency that investigates mail fraud, is a law enforcement agency. Some of the large postal sorting facilities have their own 'special police'.

Yup. They were quite strapped up when they had to set up a temporary Post Office or two after Katrina...

People wanted "their" government checks that were delayed. Amazingly, didn't turn into a bad scene.

Year end money is my guess. Since congress hasn't passed a budget in over three years. Continuing resolution causes all sorts of problems phasing expenditures. Q1 of FY is almost no money. Q2 and Q3 lean and Q4 all of a sudden money is available and "must" be spent. Nothing wrong when an agency uses that to stick up on needs, ie. ammo or paper. Stupid when useless junk gets bought with year end money but that's another thread

You are correct! We just submitted our "wish lists" to the boss today. I had to school our rookies on what to ask for and how to ask for it. They aren't too bright.

It's really too bad the system doesn't incentivize spending less when there's money left over, eh? Give you guys a reasonable small bonus and put the rest back in the kitty to pay off the trillions of debt?

It's really too bad the system doesn't incentivize spending less when there's money left over, eh? Give you guys a reasonable small bonus and put the rest back in the kitty to pay off the trillions of debt?

I agree. But government rules (possibly even some stupid, obscure law) require that you spend it all every year. Very stupid. Another rule I would change if I were King for a day.

I agree. But government rules (possibly even some stupid, obscure law) require that you spend it all every year. Very stupid. Another rule I would change if I were King for a day.

The system is broke. If your dept doesn't spend it by X date, they just give it to another dept. under continuing resolution we are forced to rely on EOY funds and keep the wish list up to date. We need zero based budgeting but it would take a major overhaul.

LOL, no kidding huh? Me and a couple buddies can blow that off on a holiday weekend if we put the selector switch to 'rock and roll'...:rofl:

The system is broke. If your dept doesn't spend it by X date, they just give it to another dept. under continuing resolution we are forced to rely on EOY funds and keep the wish list up to date. We need zero based budgeting but it would take a major overhaul.

We all know this, but the majority "hate" (politically) those who say they'd do it.

Tragedy of the Commons.

Back on topic... :rolleyes2:

Our airport director said that its most likely for the Alaska NWS folks. He had friends who worked up there that told him they're required to take guns when on assignments. They especially have to when they go up to the mountain pass stations which are in the middle of bear country. :yikes:

Last edited:
Back on topic... :rolleyes2:

Our airport director said that its most likely for the Alaska NWS folks. He had friends who worked up there that told him they're required to take guns when on assignments. They especially have to when they go up to the mountain pass stations which are in the middle of bear country. :yikes:
If that were the case they'd want something a hell of a lot more substantial then 40S&W. 40S&W is a PEOPLE stopper. Not a bear stopper. It's a bear ****er-off-er.

If that were the case they'd want something a hell of a lot more substantial then 40S&W. 40S&W is a PEOPLE stopper. Not a bear stopper. It's a bear ****er-off-er.

Haha well in that case hmmmm... I'm not very knowlegeable on guns and when I told the story to our director all I told him about was the amount.

Maybe it's to disable the guy your trying to out run while being chased by the bear? :lol:

Yep. This is for human population control, not bears.

If you look at the solicitation, all the job titles of the people who are to receive the ammo go like: J*** R*****, A/DSAC DOC, NOAA, NMFS, OLE, SED

NMFS is the national marine fisheries service
OLE is the office of law enforcement

These are the people who enforce fisheries regulations in marine sanctuaries etc. Nothing sinister if they buy targets and ammo for practice.

Haha well in that case hmmmm... I'm not very knowlegeable on guns and when I told the story to our director all I told him about was the amount.

Maybe it's to disable the guy your trying to out run while being chased by the bear? :lol:

ding ding ding ding ding

To the basic non shooter 16000 rounds sounds like Armageddon...
When I was shooting competitive handgun I averaged 300 rounds every evening in practice plus the shoots on the weekend, meaning I shot about 2100 rounds a week.. During the shooting season from March till November that is roughly 160,000+ rounds just for lil ol me...
I still have sitting in trays on the loading bench right now 1,000 finished rounds of .45 wad cutters... And there is roughly 25 pounds of gun powder in the storage cabinet and 10,000 to 12,000 bullets in .357 and .45 on hand...

I can see the headlines now - "FAA Raids Local Pilot And Finds Enough Concealed Explosives To Wipe Out The Town - What Was He Up To?"
And photos of grinning agents in body armor next to 25 feet of spread out loading supplies on the ground (looks more impressive when it is spaced out in a row)
Ahhh yes, another home grown terrorist...

Back