[NA] MS: to continue, you need to do something that is impossible.

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a warning that my desktop disk is almost full.
I checked; indeed it is.
I don't have the device/ssd specs with me right now.

It says I need to make more space by removing apps or data.
I have a bunch of apps that have not been used in some time; "I'll do that first over data".

Programs & Features
remove / change apps
Select one, "Remove"

'You do not have enough space to remove apps'

W.T.F.?

I checked; indeed it is.

I have a bunch of apps that have not been used in some time; "I'll do that first over data".

Programs & Features
remove / change apps
Select one, "Remove"

W.T.F.?
Weird.

Guess you may be deleting some data after all, to see if it resolves the app deletion issue.

I’d start looking for temporary files or snapshots/backups. Or search for larger files, maybe you can find some you can delete, remember to empty your wastebasket.

I checked; indeed it is.

Programs & Features
remove / change apps
Select one, "Remove"

W.T.F.?
Is this a later version of Windows (11?)? I got similar error messages, it turned out an update enabled saving to the cloud, even though the path was supposed to be the "My documents" on C. Look closely where the files are going- I eventually found where to disable all the cloud stuff.

MS in general or Outlook? They changed the rules on Outlook email storage that triggers a message like that. The only solution is to buy a bigger storage plan.

Windows can easily clutter up a drive volume with useless files that are stored in several locations. Under the Environment Variables, I aways set the temp files to go to a single location: C:\temp.

There are thousands of update files stored in hidden directories that can be deleted. There are several websites that explain the process for finding and deleting them.

My solution is to keep the system files on a separate partition from the application files. Windows runs just fine in a 300-500GB volume.

I checked; indeed it is.

Programs & Features
remove / change apps
Select one, "Remove"

W.T.F.?

Mosty installation software, which handles the uninstall, is actually kept on disk as compressed files. Windows will need to first uncompress the installation program to run the uninstall. Very common problem. You will need to delete some data as a starting point, then you can work on the smaller programs to get more space.
There are plenty of websites out there which will provide the detailed steps. But is usually starts with cleaning up temporary files, downloads, and cached data.

Tim

Run Disk Cleanup

Choose what you want to delete.

- Temporary Internet Files
- Recycle bin
- Temporary files

Are always safe - if you have no need for the recycle bin :)

Thumbnails will be re-created as required.

Always scroll to check what is selected.

I had trouble with "Clean up system files" once and now avoid it.

upload_2023-7-4_12-18-3.png

Do you have a bay to add another internal disk drive? I've been doing that for a few decades, dedicating the new drive to data only.

external USB drives are not expensive and pretty quick read/write.

Follow up;

I had my IT guy get involved after I was able to get it going by removing a few things.
Apparently one program (Lathem timeclock) was making weekly backups and saving them all, never overwriting anything over a couple years. This data was hidden to me so I could not tell.

Windows 10
Outlook did not seem to be involved.

Thanks

Back