[NA]Mower oil filters[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
B&S engines; two cylinder mower engines (one Sears Crapsman, the other Snapper)

How important is using the correct oil filter?
Many different ones fit; some are 'full flow', they show differing micron specs.
The mower manuals do not give a filter PN
When I xref the original filter, I get these differing filters - not sure which to buy or if it matters.
I guess the mower dealer but I've gotten bad advice from them before.

Given one cylinder mower engines generally do not have oil filters, probably not too much.

I joke. But the air filter is probably more important.

You never have to change oil in a newer mower. Something will always wear out faster than the engine.

A lot of mowers don't even have oil filters, I don't think it's critical. Just go to NAPA and a wix/napa gold filter and you'll be good to go. Those are probably $4-8 where one from a mower dealer may be $15-20

What are the mower and engine model numbers? I can have my friend look up the correct or compatible filters for you.

Sometimes the filters are important, other times not so much. If the filters have an anti-drainback valve, then I suggest using the "official" filter. If not, then any filter that physically fits and has close pressure relief and micron ratings should do the trick. Look for a NAPA / Wix filter with comparable specs, and you're done.

On my old Saturns, I routinely used a Ford filter (well, actually a NAPA/Wix filter made for a Ford) because the thread size and pressure ratings were compatible, but it was bigger and had more filtration media. But on Kia and Hyundai engines, I only use OEM because of the anti-drainback valve. It's a finicky thing, and some Kia and Hyundai engines have in fact been damaged by aftermarket filters that didn't get it right.

Rich

Back