<NA> Motorcycle photo thread

Question
Are Shoei helmets worth the $$$$?
I tried on a modular and it was nice but is there real value there?

DOT is DOT as far as I am concerned. What feels best? I had a Shoei, the current one is an HJC.

Question

I've had both expensive and less expensive helmets, and in the old days the more expensive helmets did have better fit, quietness, and build quality. Recently, mid-priced helmets seem to be pretty good as well. I've run a few HJC helmets and found their quality similar to Arai, etc. That said, I'm presently using a Klim TK1200 carbon modular, and like it for it's ventilation and light weight.

Question

Shoei and Arai are the top of the line brands, and some people will tell you it is the only way to go. Helmet fit is so different person to person, it is more important to try a variety of shapes, sizes and brands before buying (although maybe frowned on in COVID times).

I'm a fan of Scorpion helmets and they are far cheaper than Shoei and Arai. I also would vote for getting something with more than DOT certification. Many racetracks won't let you on the course without a SNELL helmet. Not that it matters if you aren't gonna ride on the track - but concrete is concrete whether its on a track or a public road.

Edit: Meant to add, I am not a fan of modular helmets in general. To create an equally strong chin bar they have to either make the helmet heavier (bad for comfort) or use more expensive materials (bad for $$$). Or you end up with a chin bar that is substandard and I quite like my chin, teeth, and lower face in general.

Last edited:
The best helmet is one that fits your head....size AND shape.
Shoei’s are my best fit for my long oval noggin.

I agree that fit and comfort are most important. I'm using an inexpensive AFX helmet because it fits me well, and I previously went through a couple of HJCs. I tried an Icon, but it became uncomfortable after riding for a short while.

It's not necessary to blow big money on a helmet if a cheaper one is comfortable. Some of the higher priced helmets do have a few extra features, however, like better ventilation or quick-change shields or provisions for an intercom.

My first bike when I bought it in 2008. It was between my freshman and sophomore years in college - Honda VT750 Aero. I bought it because I thought it was pretty, got a great deal on it, and a ton of my older friends who rode said a Shadow was the perfect bike to learn on. They weren't wrong. Except that I found I really enjoyed laying on the tank riding it superman-style, and I ground the lean warning indicators off the footpegs.

10400702_32129340195_8643_n.jpg

I had that bike until 2015 and then traded it for this:

55750492_10156819353370196_7538718144890667008_o.jpg

2014 Triumph Thruxton. I've been building it since. I plan to have other bikes but I hope to keep this one in the stable forever. Not the fastest or the most well-mannered when ridden hard but there's a charm to her that other bikes I've ridden that would absolutely rock her in a race just don't have. And I've still been grinding the lean warning indicators.

My first bike when I bought it in 2008. It was between my freshman and sophomore years in college - Honda VT750 Aero. I bought it because I thought it was pretty, got a great deal on it, and a ton of my older friends who rode said a Shadow was the perfect bike to learn on. They weren't wrong. Except that I found I really enjoyed laying on the tank riding it superman-style, and I ground the lean warning indicators off the footpegs.

10400702_32129340195_8643_n.jpg

I had that bike until 2015 and then traded it for this:

55750492_10156819353370196_7538718144890667008_o.jpg

2014 Triumph Thruxton. I've been building it since. I plan to have other bikes but I hope to keep this one in the stable forever. Not the fastest or the most well-mannered when ridden hard but there's a charm to her that other bikes I've ridden that would absolutely rock her in a race just don't have. And I've still been grinding the lean warning indicators.

Love that Triumph! Take good care of her.

Explain it to a wannabe, what appeals to you about riding motorcycles? What keeps you riding in spite of the risks?

Are you saying that the reasoning is the same?
Largely. It's hard to describe how fun it is until you do it. It turns the chore of going somewhere into a fun experience. I also find that I get places much faster on the bike than I do by car, and not only due to speed.

Explain it to a wannabe, what appeals to you about riding motorcycles? What keeps you riding in spite of the risks?

Holy cow!

• Out in the wind (and heat and cold and rain and yes, sometimes snow). It makes life interesting.
    • Adventure: Adversity retold at leisure
  • Better to see the sights and especially smell the smells
  • Mentally challenging (this is a huge factor. I like flying as well because it is mentally challenging)
  • Freeing
  • Motorcycles are excellent performance vehicles
    • As fast as supercars
    • Yet get Prius mileage
    • Corner and brake exceedingly well
    • Leans into corners (just like airplanes!!!), no matter how hard you corner, forces are straight down. You're not thrown sideways like in a car
    • Bikes just eat up rough backroads much better than cars
  • Bikes make it worthwhile to take backroads, almost 100% of my bike travels are by backroads. Interstates and highways are for cars and trucks, when I see Goldwings or Harley FLH's droning down the highway, I IMHO think they're doing it wrong.
  • Friends, I've made many good friends on bikes
  • And that leads to bike trips with friends, good times
    • Corollary: You hardly ever hear of friends going out in groups on car trips.
It's long ago become a part of me.

Don't forget that you get to have little punk ass cagers rant about you. :D

Don't forget good gear after you get that nice new bike!
Absolutely. Haven’t figured out what to do about pants. Apparently, only people with a waist of 44 inches or less ride motorcycles. Don’t think leather chaps work for me. There are plenty of jackets that fit though.

Also, bars and sliders for the bike.

There is a social aspect to it, as others have pointed out. You know how if you meet someone who is a pilot, you may not be the best of friends with them, but you have that connection? Same thing on a bike. Also, bikes are fun. 65 mph on a car and 65 mph on a bike aren't the same thing at all. It's a very tactile, involved experience, and you have to connect with the vehicle. You have some instrumentation but controlling a bike well is all about your comfort level with it and how well you can listen to what the bike is telling you.

Picking up this coming Thursday.
View attachment 87946

Looks like the bike doesn't come with a center stand as standard equipment. If it is available as an accessory, I'd recommend getting one for the bike. It makes tire changes and other MX a lot easier.

Holy cow!

• Out in the wind (and heat and cold and rain and yes, sometimes snow). It makes life interesting.
    • Adventure: Adversity retold at leisure
  • Better to see the sights and especially smell the smells
  • Mentally challenging (this is a huge factor. I like flying as well because it is mentally challenging)
  • Freeing
  • Motorcycles are excellent performance vehicles
    • As fast as supercars
    • Yet get Prius mileage
    • Corner and brake exceedingly well
    • Leans into corners (just like airplanes!!!), no matter how hard you corner, forces are straight down. You're not thrown sideways like in a car
    • Bikes just eat up rough backroads much better than cars
  • Bikes make it worthwhile to take backroads, almost 100% of my bike travels are by backroads. Interstates and highways are for cars and trucks, when I see Goldwings or Harley FLH's droning down the highway, I IMHO think they're doing it wrong.
  • Friends, I've made many good friends on bikes
  • And that leads to bike trips with friends, good times
    • Corollary: You hardly ever hear of friends going out in groups on car trips.
It's long ago become a part of me.

You left out "biker chics."

Currently have 4 in the stable, plus the wife’s scooter.

I’ll post them one at a time, in order of acquisition...

1999 BMW K1200RS, bought new in 1999. The day I brought it home:

25231761183_db2d692159_z.jpg

Had some fun with mods over the years, turning it into an “S”:

33016714590_9b5d9d4444_z.jpg

On a recent rally:

35576980774_a95157270c_z.jpg

After 21 years and over 80,000 miles, still swoopy fast and still feels solidly “all of one piece”.

Great bike.

You would pay $400?

Not only would I, but I did. Back in 2008 I bought a Darien jacket and pants set, cost nearly $1AMU. And 12 years later, they still look like new and are still 100% waterproof. Good gear costs more, but is worth the cost because they last a long time and provide great protection in a crash.

Reactions: smv
#3 in order of acquisition has a back story...

Some time in the early 2000’s I saw a gorgeous K1200RS-based sidecar rig at the Georgia Mountain Rally. I gave the owner my business card and asked him to contact me if he ever decided to sell it.

Anyway, in 2007, out of blue I got the call!

Picking her up in VT:

5821282586_22c259c599_z.jpg

Yes, I brought a trailer!

Another angle:

11872168843_2c1f6f27c2_z.jpg

And Jake (RIP) loved it, especially in parades:

7716611582_4a308fc271_z.jpg

It’s also great when we go camping - packing is just SO much easier!

50138859842_dc006ffaea_z.jpg

It’s handy that my custom Sargent saddle and system cases from my ‘99 can go back and forth between the two bikes.

Last edited:
Back