<NA> Motorcycle photo thread

Despite my lack of success in the race; I found racing at the Isle of Man TT to be one of the most memorable events of my 24 years of road racing.

Getting two racers, two motorcycles and a friend to the Island required great effort and resulted in a colorful adventure where I made lots of interesting friends. Learning the course was delightful after reading about it for so many years.

It does not meet my definition of crazy.
Congrats on an awesome career - that would be a highlight for sure! The IOM must've been an incredible experience.

For those of you who don't know, the Northwest 200 is another road race that is an amazing spectacle. https://www.northwest200.org/

White Rim is a handful on a loaded big bike. Great pictures, and looks like a great trip.

Indian motorcycle reviews posted to another group:

One little, two little, three little Indians...

So, the plan Saturday was to ride to Suches, enjoy the great roads, and grab lunch at TWO as they close at the end of the month and I'll be on another ride elsewhere next weekend. I rolled the GS out into the driveway, hit the starter and chuclickityclickty. Hit the starter one more time and zip, nada. I suppose I could have taken the Wing, but I was up for a more sporting ride and I'll be doing a weekend trip on the wing next weekend anyway.

I rolled the Wing out into the driveway and gave it a good wash n wax, the first wash since I bought it in July. While I was washing, my neighbor across the alley, who owns a Tiger, said the Indian factory demo truck was at the local dealer, would I like to go along with him and ride some bikes? Sure, why not. Finished the Wing, pulled the dead GS battery, tossed it in the Wing side bag, and off we go.

I should have taken a picture of the setup, but didn't, as it was an impressive sight. A really nice full size 18 wheeler rig with ~25 demo bikes lined up. A quick registration, and I was ready to ride.

First up, the Challenger. https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/challenger/ This is the bike Kate told me to check out when I was looking at touring bikes, and on paper it's an interesting ride. Obviously a bagger/cruiser type, but it uses an 1800cc liquid cooled 122hp/128ft lb v-twin as a stressed member in the chassis, upside down forks, and Brembo brakes. The rep told me to keep it above 3500rpm as this one likes to spin. I asked him about the route, and he said free ride, go where you like. Luckily, there's a half decent bike/car test drive loop I use that was in the neighborhood. This bike has plenty of power, and is damned fast. On low speed corners, it handles fantastically and has far more ground clearance that one would expect of this bike type. The brakes were also fantastic. The ride was a bit rough, and the ride motions over bumps were a bit quick and choppy, but overall pretty damned good. The floorboards are mounted high and way forward for better clearance, and the controls are WAY forward on the boards. On entry to the first corner or two I went to brake and downshift and my feet found nothing but air. A bit disconcerting, to say the least. The only fly in the ointment was a bit of wobble on bumpy high speed corners, situations where the Wing stays steady. Net: This is a highly entertaining bike with great sound and feel, and a good rider on a back road is going to be able to absolutely rip on this thing. It's one of those bikes that just encourages you to flog it hard.

Next up, the FTR, their flat track inspired bike: https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200/ This one features a 1200cc liquid cooled v-twin with 120hp and 87ft lbs of torque. The first thing I noticed on this bike was peg position again, but this time instead of way forward, these are rear sets and high. It felt like my feet were behind my butt, and the view ahead was stunning. All you see is a small little round instrument, and that's it. No fairing, no windshield, you don't even see the front wheel. It's like flying. As one would expect, this one was very fast as well, with overall good handling. It was a little flighty over bumpy corners, but that may not be the bike's fault. Due to the extreme riding position and not being able to support my lower body with my feet, I very well could have been bump steering the bike. My only complaint on this one (other than peg position) is the brakes seem to lack feel and power, these brakes are way to soft for a bike this fast. When I pulled back in the rep asked me how I liked it, and I told him 20 years ago it might have been interesting, but my old bones would last about 45min on this one. This is a ripper for the young guys.

Lastly I wanted to try the full boat tourer, and this is the Roadmaster: https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/roadmaster/ Nine hundred and nine (909!) pounds of love powered by a 1900cc with 126ft lbs of torque at 2900rpm. Power isn't even listed, but it's not really important anyway. Here's your thump! Almost endless bags of low end torque make this a fun bike to ride, and the vibes and sound is perfect. This bike sounds really happy and moves well. This bike also had the best suspension in my opinion, unflappable over bumpy corners, slow or fast. It also had a very nice ride, not harsh at all. Again, floorboards mounted higher than most cruisers allows a good deal of lean, and you can use it all easily, I hope the factory doesn't mind the scraped floorboards lol. The downside to this one was the riding position made my lower back hurt, almost immediately. I moved around on the seat tried a few things, but nope, this one hurts. And that's too bad, this is a fine traditional tourer.

Overall impressions; It is quite evident Polaris is putting significant engineering into these classically styled bikes, and IMHO it raises the bar significantly in this market segment. Although there are of course Harley faithful, that will never change, but if you objectively ride these bikes, I think the Indians are superior. I really liked the Challenger, if I had mo money, I could see having one of these, they're' quite fun to ride.

As I leave the dealer on the Wing to get a new GS battery, it hits me how much magic Honda has conjured on this 6th gen bike. The combination of smooth yet controlled ride is fantastic, allowing great handling along with a nice ride. Also, the pegs aren't far forward, nor to the rear, but just right under the rider. And although I enjoyed the vibes and sounds of the v-twins, I find I'm quite liking my flat 6 burble and the Porsche like sound when you get on it. So, I still feel I made the right decision, but I certainly could park a Challenger next to the Wing if money was of no concern.

We got new tires (Pirelli Night Dragon GTs) on my wife's '07 Street Glide and then I installed some Progressive 430 series rear shocks. I didn't particularly want to get her the 412s since the reviews on them seemed to be "Better than stock but nothing great". The 430s had more universally positive reviews. She had the stock Street Glide height (12" shocks, 1" shorter than the Ultra Classic) but with her height she was thinking she'd like a hair shorter, so I got 11.5" ones.

The bike had been on original stock Harley tires which didn't ride well. Between those two things, it's way, way better. It still has more engine vibration through the floorboards than either of us would like, and way more than my '09. The '07 and '08 touring bikes had a different engine mount setup that apparently isn't as good, but it also feels like the engine mounts just aren't as good as they should be. Plus the vibration/buzzing seems to stop at higher throttles, making me think that there's something related to that mount. I'll look at it further and see what might need replaced.

Next will be getting the Race Tech fork kits for both our bikes, and looking for deals for rear shocks for mine.

On the last page @szwinger and @Bill were suggesting the Race Tech front fork upgrades for our Harleys. Doing some research, it looks like Progressive suspension monotube front fork upgrades are also popular and seem to be better liked. I’m curious if anyone here has tried that upgrade. It is more expensive and since I’m looking at x2 that does increase the cost even more. But as I understand it the monotubes do a better job of actually converting the forks to a newer style suspension whereas the Racetech tries to keep the old style but modify it to act more like a new style.

Any input from the group on what to look for there for Black Friday deals? :)

I don't know too much about the specific bikes, but the Monotube is a cartridge upgrade while the Racetech is an emulator kit, well, emulates a cartridge damper in the damper rod environment. Honestly, a bit of turd polishing. You can make improvements to damper rods but a good cartridge will be a substantially better and more tuneable ride.

That said, my last track bike ran racetech emulators, and for your usage they may be fine - you'll be happier either way.

https://racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work
https://www.racetech.com/articles/cartridgeforks.htm
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/basics-cartridge-and-damping-forks/

I can thoroughly recommend the Race Tech "suspension bible" book.

On the last page @szwinger and @Bill were suggesting the Race Tech front fork upgrades for our Harleys. Doing some research, it looks like Progressive suspension monotube front fork upgrades are also popular and seem to be better liked. I’m curious if anyone here has tried that upgrade. It is more expensive and since I’m looking at x2 that does increase the cost even more. But as I understand it the monotubes do a better job of actually converting the forks to a newer style suspension whereas the Racetech tries to keep the old style but modify it to act more like a new style.

Any input from the group on what to look for there for Black Friday deals? :)

Reactions: Ted
Got back into bike after a 6+ year break. I've always wanted one of these (KTM 690 SMC), and I have a short commute to my business and the airport now, on backroads. Somewhat a COVID boredom purchase, low interest rates, smoking deal. I wanted something with track ready suspension and brakes and would be a good trackday appliance - low maintenance very high on the list. Crashability was important too, and being an overgrown dirtbike these live through crashes nicely. My first new bike.

It's amazingly fun - stiff has hell, responsive, and the wide bars communicate directly with the sticky rubber. Surprisingly powerful for a 690 single (74hp, 321lb).

I was debating a Multistrada 950 after having rented one and doing a 270 mile day two-up last year, and if I'm riding more (or two-up) that will get added to the stable.

IMG_0780.JPG

One thing I love about Il Negrini. It rides great on the stock suspension and whatever tires I have on it. Love that bike.

I threw my hog on the back of the wife’s minivan to take it to the Cleveland Metroparks for a fall foliage ride.
upload_2021-11-13_21-26-1.pngupload_2021-11-13_21-26-1.png

Not a photo, but a friend of mine linked me to a YouTube channel/online magazine about off-road/adventure riding. I really like this guy's videos and his approach to riding and teaching. It's given me some good exercises to try and work on my off-road skills. I even like his stuff enough to sign up on Patreon, something I've not done before.

https://www.youtube.com/BrakeMagazine

This is a Street Glide Special, although I have no idea what distinguishes a "Special" from a "regular" Street Glide. It's a 2017. GPS, an amazing sound system, cruise control--extremely comfortable. I had a Softail Deluxe that I loved but it was not that comfortable for long trips. This is way better. Kind of funny how this happened. Long story short, my husband and I ended up buying our bikes (identical except his is red) new at the same time. The dealership put in custom gel seats for free.

Today’s bikes for sale to make room for Laurie’s new bike.

6B52B07F-E9A6-44A1-8EC1-6C6795C1C5A2.jpeg 6C08DEBF-F956-4E10-99A8-D0A04B7CC97D.jpeg A4442648-7C3C-4BCB-869B-82DFA23A08B9.jpeg

And this is Laurie’s new bike, brand new Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro. We had the dealer swap the stock Metzelers for Michelin Anakee Wild tires. The dealer has had it sitting in the showroom (we haven’t been able to take delivery yet) and said they’ve sold more tires because of how good it looks with the knobbies :)

E172BF21-BCFE-4FC7-8B63-588AF37761E8.jpeg

Ooooh, that Daytona is so tempting. Would make an outstanding track bike. How much are you asking? Would you consider swapping it for a race car?

Sorry, it just rode off into the sunset for its new owner. :)

But I know that you want an 850 lb Harley for a track bike, right? :D

Sorry, it just rode off into the sunset for its new owner. :)

But I know that you want an 850 lb Harley for a track bike, right? :D

I don’t want a Hardly Ableson period. :)

If I ever get some sort of cruiser, it will likely be an Indian. But right now any extra money is being sucked up by an airplane.

Reactions: Ted
I don’t want a Hardly Ableson period. :)

If I ever get some sort of cruiser, it will likely be an Indian. But right now any extra money is being sucked up by an airplane.
So that’s the loud slurping sound that I have been hearing. I was thinking that it was my daughter’s tuition bill. Guess not.

I am still happy with my V Strom. But if I did get a cruiser I had been looking at the Yamaha V-Star 950. Not sure I want a 615 pound bike though. But I do like how the V-Star looks. A guy in the neighborhood has one for sale. I am tempted but I have other needs.

Friday I went with my friend, Trip, to a Triumph/Indian dealer in Knoxville. He’s looking for a bike and was leaning to a “classic-looking” model. He found one that hit all the right notes for him and bought it on the spot:

52042446721_300a081305_z.jpg

It’s the 900cc Street Twin RC1 Special Edition. We’ll pick it up Wednesday and I’m sure he’s going to love it.

The one in the showroom that struck my fancy was the 900cc Street Scrambler. It’s a thoroughly modern bike that certainly evokes the classics of the 1960’s.

52042430301_b53ae21363_z.jpg

I certainly don’t need another bike, but if I did that would be on my short list. As I’ve mentioned before the Royal Enfield INT650 at about half the price is also appealing, though it’s undoubtedly crude and basic in comparison - as were the actual bikes of the 1960’s!

52042731209_fc64674e40_z.jpg

Had a weekend with some time playing around with friends’ BMWs, new and old.

3530E71C-8528-4CA9-91C6-E83400CCA745.jpeg 24E732CC-0E3F-4590-A7BD-E0093455C8DC.jpeg 89CC21F3-D31D-4BE5-9A22-8E4139ABD13B.jpeg

Rode the Triumph to work today. Very British day for it here in Kansas - misty, wet roads, cloudy. It was fun. :)

503c991e-2fe9-47e2-9b2c-b988600e20e1-jpeg.3721901

I hope you wore your Belstaff waxed cotton motorcycle jacket.
;)

Nah, same old Joe Rocket gear I've been sporting since 2004. Held up remarkably well!

Nah, same old Joe Rocket gear I've been sporting since 2004. Held up remarkably well!

So despite British wx and a Triumph, you decided to thumb your nose at tradition. Sad, very sad....

:)

So despite British wx and a Triumph, you decided to thumb your nose at tradition. Sad, very sad....

:)

You are welcome to mail me an appropriately British motorcycle jacket to wear while riding my British motorcycle. I also make no promises I will actually do so if you send me one, though. ;)

Only if you start eating British food.

One could argue that every time I cook, I'm eating British food. And it usually tastes bad enough to pass as such.

Back