[NA]Mac gifts[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Someone just got a Mac laptop.
Their birthday is coming up, what are some good accessories to go with the laptop.
Not: case, ipad, iphone.
Thanks

Their birthday is coming up, what are some good accessories to go with the laptop.
Thanks

1. Dongle to connect to an external monitor
2. if they travel extensively, an external backup battery
3. iTunes card for movies, music, etc
4. cash

5. backup drive of some kind
6. case for the laptop (or a protective sleeve)
7. Thunderbolt display :)

1. If they travel, ethernet adaptor (sometimes wired connections are much faster than hotel wi-fi)

2. Backup hard drive

3. Other than Murphey's suggestions of iTunes or other gift cards I can't think of anything which would make much of a birthday present.

+1 votes for:

External battery
device that will connect to a projector
iTunes card(s)
external hard drive

device that will connect to a projector

Does this mean, "adapter to allow a projector to connect to the laptop"?
One of the requested specs on this laptop was "allows an LCD projector to connect" although we did not say "directly".

Thanks Mike.
If one does not come with the laptop, it's on the shortlist.

How about the wireless mouse?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...3316530_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-apple+accessories

My daughter uses her MacBook pretty heavily for college. I did get her the mouse, but she doesn't use it very much. She did buy an external drive and does use that a lot - I think she keeps a lot of stuff on there (maybe photos, whatever) to keep them off her laptop.

The thing she really DOES use heavily is her small Brother laser printer. Those are pretty cheap with wireless capability.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother...24833&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg6265&ksdevice=c

Apple's wireless mouse.

Silicone keyboard cover. If they're new to Mac you can get function clues. Handy. http://kbcovers.com/cool-designs-keyboard-cover/

Parallels and Windows 7. They can run Mac and Windows simultaneously. Really handy!

Apple drive if they need to run discs.

Bose Color Soundlink. (They just keep making these little bluetooth speakers better and better, This one's impressive and affordable.)

Last edited:
all good; thanks.
Will these PC compatible items we already have work?
-usb flash drives
-HP4630 wireless printer (works on i-devices)
-Fantom Drive EHD

The HP4630 printer claims to be Apple AirPrint ready.

I recently got a Brother wireless laser printer for home (my daughter uses a Brother USB laser printer at school). Neither are "Apple" branded, and they both work just fine with her MacBook.

edit: I can ask her for ideas. She's used hers hard through college for about 5 years now with at least one to go, so she'd have some thoughts on peripherals or gadgets that have been nice to have.

Last edited:
External optical drive... assuming they use one? Sort of depends on how the intended recipient uses their machine. Itunes gift cards are always a winner.

If it was me I'd kind of like to have a couple of extra AC adapters so I could plug in next to the bed or downstairs by my desk and have one ready in the latptop bag so I didn't have to unplug and relocate all the time.

A PC for when there is actual work to be done.

Yep. Because keeping the A: and B: drive letters alive means productivity. LOL.

That little kiddie OS ever grows up and stops calling the first hard disk C:, it might stand a chance. :)

Nice to see they finally got a useful shell though. Only 25 years behind.

Now if they just had a decent text editor powerful enough to script writing multiple fixes with a regular expression one-liner into that abortion of mindless design known as a "Registry".

But hey. The DNS server still uses Access databases under the hood and if you link two masters together via Active Directory, the only way the dolts could figure out how to keep track of what AD wrote from one to the other is to mangle the DNS Zone file serial number inappropriately, and against the RFCs. Because you know, you couldn't possibly store the change states in the LDAP schema instead of mangling the server's data...

Brilliant OS. Lovely stuff.

Good thing they copied their network stack from BSD or we'd have Ethernet incompatibility, too deal with, too.

Blah blah blah. I own many PCs and a handful of Macs. My Macs are Windows capable for the software programs that are specific. My Macs outperform my PCs and have fewer issues along the way. I scratch my head and wonder why anyone buys PCs anymore. Lack of experience with a better product, I guess. But all that has nothing to do with the post and I assume you PC lovers care about my opinion about as much as I care about your off-topic Apple criticism. Yawn.

I scratch my head and wonder why anyone buys PCs anymore. Lack of experience with a better product, I guess. But all that has nothing to do with the post and I assume you PC lovers care about my opinion about as much as I care about your off-topic Apple criticism. Yawn.

Why does anyone buy a PC? For some, the higher initial purchase price is the problem. Kind of like why anyone would buy an old old $5000 used car instead of a new $40,000 car. If you can't afford the initial outlay, it doesn't matter how much better the new car is.

(and no, I haven't bought a PC in decades, I have figured out that there are times when paying for quality is the smart thing to do for my computer needs).

Why does anyone buy a PC? For some, the higher initial purchase price is the problem.
For the people I know this is the main issue. I went looking at PC laptops with someone I know and for the same storage/speed/RAM the PCs seemed like they were roughly half the price. That plus the fact that they are used to the Windows OS and don't like change. Of course when the new Windows OS came out they complained about it.

For the people I know this is the main issue. I went looking at PC laptops with someone I know and for the same storage/speed/RAM the PCs seemed like they were roughly half the price. That plus the fact that they are used to the Windows OS and don't like change. Of course when the new Windows OS came out they complained about it.

I'm looking to get a new laptop for home. My wife and I fall into this category.

I just heard back from my daughter. She's pretty much a Macbook power user and has been through college and now into grad school.

Her thoughts:

- The Mac mouse is frustrating to use, she much prefers a bluetooth mouse.

- A decent set of headphones

- The thing she likes most is a cooling pad. She spends a lot of time with her Macbook on her lap while she's on a couch, a bed, or wherever, and having a cooling pad makes it much more comfortable. The Macs notebooks can get pretty warm.

I'm an Apple fan but, we put together machines for developers that need to run 6 or more virtual machines with PC hardware and Linux. Apple does well on personal/portable products, but if you need mega-horsepower the Mac Pro is outclassed easily for the same price by assembling a custom PC from parts.

So far laptops and mobile devices, it's Apple. For the server room or the under-desk non-portable monsters, it's PC hardware.

Apple's recent move to seal up the Mini and make it difficult to work on is also an on-again off-again downside to Cupertino. I bought two Minis of the 2012 vintage before they all disappeared so I could change disks and do what I wanted with them.

I think as far as gifts go, the list is pretty covered. I'd throw in an SSD if the machine doesn't have it, even a non-Apple non-fully-supported (they need to be shot for that game , too) because it's by far the biggest performs increase out there. The Samsung Pro units are hitting warranty numbers of 10 years now (with data change per day limits that are very reasonable) and they're falling in price like rocks with their new V-NAND tech. Even the non-Pro units are amazing compared to just a year ago.

Her thoughts:

- The Mac mouse is frustrating to use, she much prefers a bluetooth mouse.

A personal thing, to be sure...

...but after using the trackpad on Mac notebooks and the Bluetooth "Magic Trackpad" on Karen's iMac, we both find them far superior to a mouse for most things. With "Multi-Touch", they allow a whole slew of extra functionality over any mouse I've used.

A personal thing, to be sure...

...but after using the trackpad on Mac notebooks and the Bluetooth "Magic Trackpad" on Karen's iMac, we both find them far superior to a mouse for most things. With "Multi-Touch", they allow a whole slew of extra functionality over any mouse I've used.

To clarify: She was referring to the MacMouse, not the trackpad. I don't think she has an external trackpad.

I don't know what brand of mouse she does use, but I DID get her that MacMouse for her birthday a while ago. <sad face>

I hadn't thought about external trackpads until you mentioned them just now.

Apple's Magic Mouse is 10x better than the Logitech's I have. No contest. I like the trackpad on my 1 year old or so Macbook better than the newest one. It feels different. I'd get used to it I suppose. In any case the mouse is better than the trackpad when using a mouse fits the environment.

I never tried the magic mouse but the trackpad on the laptop works fine for me and I have a bluetooth trackpad for the iMac instead of the mouse.

1. If they travel, ethernet adaptor

This has an RJ45 receptacle....is the EA something else?
Should it not already be 'wire capable' with the RJ45 port?

Several have mention an external disk drive ie CDs DVDs but I am pretty sure it has a functioning slot on the right side to accept disks. It is a MacBook Pro

Thunderbolt display...that is a TV?

Mike Farlow - The Adapter; will that fit the...4th port from the left in the picture attached?

Parallels and Windows 7... this is software to emulate Windows?
We are wondering how much PC data she won't be able to access.
(photos, Word & Excel files)

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    99 KB · Views: 4
You should be able to get to all PC files.

Those packages don't emulate Windows, they ARE Windows.

There are ways to install Windows on the Mac so you can either boot up to OS or Win. I'm not familiar with the packages that allow you to have both running at the same time.

Macs can run full Windows operating systems but you need to do a reboot to switch from Mac to Windows unless you use Parallels, which allows both operating systems to run at the same time. I can run Mac programs and professional Windows-only programs using different windows on the same screen. Going back and forth between them is seamless.

The great thing about running Windows like that: Updates!

I use a virtual XP configuration on my Win 7 PC because I have some legacy things that won't work on Win 7. I don't use it very often but whenever I did (maybe every couple months), I'd have to wait for all the XP updates that had come up.

So, if you install Win but don't use it very often, expect to have a lot of updates waiting.

This has an RJ45 receptacle....is the EA something else?
Should it not already be 'wire capable' with the RJ45 port?
My MacbookAir doesn't have that receptacle (or an internal disc player) so I need an ethernet adaptor which plugs into the USB port and an external DVD player. People may not know how the laptop was configured so that is why they are giving these answers.

I should mention that I bought the external DVD player but rarely use it. I could have easily done without it, especially since programs are usually installed through download these days.

The Macbook Pro has pretty much converged on the Macbook Air form factor. It isn't quite as thin but very close. Both use flash memory. Wife has an Air. I have a year old Pro. Daughter has a weeks old Pro. Minor differences between them. No CD drive in any. I'm not sure whether you can order a Pro with a built-in drive but I wouldn't bother. External accessories are cheap.

Thanks

AppleCare warranty for years two and three of ownership. Seriously, do you know how much it is to repair an Apple laptop? It's cheap insurance compared to the repair costs. Especially if this laptop is "going to school" somewhere.

BackBlaze online backup for when that 'premium' flash based SSD fails or the hardware gets destroyed / stolen. Another cheap insurance plan.

Yep. Because keeping the A: and B: drive letters alive means productivity. LOL.

That little kiddie OS ever grows up and stops calling the first hard disk C:, it might stand a chance. :)

Nice to see they finally got a useful shell though. Only 25 years behind.

Now if they just had a decent text editor powerful enough to script writing multiple fixes with a regular expression one-liner into that abortion of mindless design known as a "Registry".

But hey. The DNS server still uses Access databases under the hood and if you link two masters together via Active Directory, the only way the dolts could figure out how to keep track of what AD wrote from one to the other is to mangle the DNS Zone file serial number inappropriately, and against the RFCs. Because you know, you couldn't possibly store the change states in the LDAP schema instead of mangling the server's data...

Brilliant OS. Lovely stuff.

Good thing they copied their network stack from BSD or we'd have Ethernet incompatibility, too deal with, too.

• Proprietary USB standards.
  • Heck, non-standard connectors across the board.
  • Bastardization of mDNS (they call it Bonjour)
  • Bastardization of ePub books (Apple XML Namespace)
  • BSD under the hood with all new brand-specific vulnerabilities included.
  • You use a shell in OSX? Really? :lol:
  • OS is hardware locked (for the most part).
  • Support at most companies and colleges is "peer" based despite claims that Mac is supported. Try turning in a paper that's not Word compatible.
  • How's that OSX Server program working? :D
  • Guess what mail server they use at Cupertino? Hint: it doesn't run on OSX or *nix.

See, I can kick that dog too. I support all three genomes of Desktop OS and none are without their warts and compromises. Use the best tool for the task.

Macs can run full Windows operating systems but you need to do a reboot to switch from Mac to Windows unless you use Parallels, which allows both operating systems to run at the same time. I can run Mac programs and professional Windows-only programs using different windows on the same screen. Going back and forth between them is seamless.

You do t have to only use Parallels. You can do it for free (other than the Windows license, which all require) with VirtualBox or use the competitive product from VMWare.

• Proprietary USB standards.
  • Heck, non-standard connectors across the board.
  • Bastardization of mDNS (they call it Bonjour)
  • Bastardization of ePub books (Apple XML Namespace)
  • BSD under the hood with all new brand-specific vulnerabilities included.
  • You use a shell in OSX? Really? :lol:
  • OS is hardware locked (for the most part).
  • Support at most companies and colleges is "peer" based despite claims that Mac is supported. Try turning in a paper that's not Word compatible.
  • How's that OSX Server program working? :D
  • Guess what mail server they use at Cupertino? Hint: it doesn't run on OSX or *nix.

USB non-standard? Seems to work fine with standard USB devices here... The only thing non-standard is charge rate for some devices, but the standard always worked.

Non-standard connectors? Seems like they often are the first to use them, but unsurprisingly they show up on other's designs fairly soon thereafter. Even then, a $4 monoprice price cable always takes care of that nicely.

"bastardization of mDNS"? Bwahahha. A) mDNS is a bastard child anyway, and B) it's kinda stupid to worry about something being "bastardized" that no one bothered to use anyway. The competition likes broadcasts of completely proprietary crap if there isn't a do,Ian controller and pile of goofy non-standard DNS entries to even find the thing on the LAN... At least mDNS served a purpose in Apple's design.

ePub and XML... It's called Extensible for a reason. But even then, what a reach. Only academia even cares. The real world doesn't. The real world uses PDF which is way more god-awful under the hood than, oh... Damn near anything.

Brand specific vulnerabilities... Care to share a few? Let's see how bad they really are. Note: Browsers don't count. Isn't a browser on the planet that isn't a security joke. Let's see what you've got in the core OS. Not applications.

Shell? Absolutely. Why the hell else run Unix?

OS hardware locking... Again, yawn. It's either that or spend hours tracking down retarded bugs in drivers in Linux, while listening to the developers whine that they don't have the specs from manufacturers of hardware because they're saving the world by not signing an NDA. Equal evils.

Word docs at academia, more yawn. A) academics tend to not be all that bright with computers outside of the engineering and CS schools. B) Word is ubiquitous even outside of academia, see " brightness" above. So buy Word.

Or go O365 and slap the whole MSFT suite on the thing for the folks who feel a need to communicate via proprietary document formats. You'll even get a terabyte of free cloud storage to dump useless college papers in so they'll not be taking up disk space once you've escaped the land of computer morons.

OSX Server was dumped, as was the hardware. Not their target market. No one with any brains ran it anyway, Linux could handle the job better. Apple made a valiant effort at making a mouse click server based on standard Unix packages but real server admins hated the limitations, and dolts who needed the GUI found it too complex. Their current stripped down, dumbed down, stuff works fine for what little it does, but won't scale. They know it. It's a whopping $19, and they know it's barely worth that. Maybe for the "LDAP for dummies" that's built in, but they stripped the most useful portion of that -- the AD cross-integration piece. Mostly since it was based on the spastic Samba project, which at the time was a bear to keep up with all their goofy changes they were shoving out, mostly broken, at a horrendous rate back then.

It's Oracle's strange assed thing. Probably to handle multi-site replication and DNS locale routing for travelers, and load balancing. Building a public worldwide mail server farm at that scale is a *****. MSFT took a decade to replace BSD behind the scenes on Hotmail after they bought them, and their current stuff on O365 is also front-ended and slow, and they had to go find a large third party to even get their own exchange back end to play nicely, they don't run it themselves. Mail at that scale is an utter disaster of mixed products at that level and probably always will be.

Anything else actually interesting? 'Cause having to order a couple of cables and a copy of Word doesn't seem too cringe-worthy here.

Back