NA Local Police NA

We have established they neither protect nor serve and it is suggested we give them respect. Why? I suppose they intervene in trash in trash crime and that is tough work. But that also enables the Domestic Violence Machine. We don't notice because we aren't in that demographic but the DV machine has eroded civil liberties as much orore than anything else. And I'm not sure the trash people are helped all that much despite the heavy handed meddling. So why default respect for a profession that may take my life, freedom, or just some money without offering protection or service in return?

It just depends on the location, needs, and threats. In rural Kansas, cops need to be in cars. In downtown San Francisco, foot cops would be great but you still need cops in cars. Cops on bikes work too. In West Oakland, cops need to be in armored personnel carriers.

SCOTUS may have ruled that they are not REQUIRED by law to protect or serve, however there are officers out there every day doing just that.

In our area we have what is called the neighborhood police. These are local cops that have thier beat as being certain neighborhoods. If you have a propblem within your neighborhood you can call these people direct. You get to know these men and women, they give out thier cell numbers and are there to help when needed. I have had to call my neighborhood officer a couple times when living in town. He was always very nice and helpful and just a cell phone call away. When we had neighborhood association meetings these officers would come and introduce themselves to the association and its members.

Tony

We have established they neither protect nor serve and it is suggested we give them respect. Why? I suppose they intervene in trash in trash crime and that is tough work. But that also enables the Domestic Violence Machine. We don't notice because we aren't in that demographic but the DV machine has eroded civil liberties as much orore than anything else. And I'm not sure the trash people are helped all that much despite the heavy handed meddling. So why default respect for a profession that may take my life, freedom, or just some money without offering protection or service in return?

Someone just whipped your ass and left you in the ditch to die. Who you gonna call, the local SPCA?

Someone just whipped your ass and left you in the ditch to die. Who you gonna call, the local SPCA?

Why not they have the same duty to protect me as the police.

The neighborhood concept doesn work in the current financial environment. Takes to many officers to fill the areas covered. Walking beats backed up by two officer fast response cars has some effect. Also supplementing the walking posts with bicycle teams is proving to be somewhat effective.

Going back to the "protect and serve" argument, I seem to remember that the case was brought to a head because of individuals demanding personal service from police officers. The whole concept of the police is to "protect and serve" the community; not each individual in the community. You can't demand a cop to push your disabled car off the side of the road, or to go pick up your groceries.

It just depends on the location, needs, and threats. In rural Kansas, cops need to be in cars. In downtown San Francisco, foot cops would be great but you still need cops in cars. Cops on bikes work too. In West Oakland, cops need to be in armored personnel carriers.

Put them all on Segways that do 60mph. That covers all the bases.:goofy:

:wink2:

So as long as I commit crimes against individuals and not the community the cops won't bother me?

So as long as I commit crimes against individuals and not the community the cops won't bother me?

This is, of course - the fly in the ointment of jurisprudence in the modern US.

When this country was founded, the individual, or citizen group was the ultimate expression of rights. The State was by design subservient to, and at the whim of the people. Now, fast forward to modern day America, you can get 3-5 for simply clearing your browser cache because at some undefined point in the future, some undefined LEO MAY want the info that is in there, and by clicking 'delete' you have committed an egregious crime against the State.

Sounding much like the old Soviet Union where crimes against the State was big, big business, and they didn't really give a wet dribbly shyte if a person got murdered, or raped, or robbed, so long as the State interests were not affected.

Hmmmmm, come to thing of it -- Much like current day N Korea. :mad2:

I don't care if LEO is on foot or in cars.

What I'd pay good tax money for is for the poor dears to have all vehicles properly marked unless they're specifically in use for undercover operations.

A few States have passed this as law, and in many of those, neither the Police leadership nor the Officers care and scoff at the law.

Unmarked vehicles are more dangerous for everyone involved. LED lightbars for hiding in grills and overheads are way too cheap for us not to see a fully marked vehicle stopping us or rolling up to a crime scene.

You need a few unmarked vehicles for real undercover work. They can be checked out from a small pool of them for that. Everything else should be marked.

Actually, what I had in mind is more in line with Sheriff Andy Taylor. Even the occasional Barney Fife is OK as long as someone with sense is there to rein him in. It just doesn't make me feel safer to have the police wearing bulletproof vests, shirts with POLICE emblazoned on the back, toting tasers, pepper spray, multiple guns, carrying flash bombs and retreating to a tank.

How can anyone trust them?

Actually, what I had in mind is more in line with Sheriff Andy Taylor. Even the occasional Barney Fife is OK as long as someone with sense is there to rein him in. It just doesn't make me feel safer to have the police wearing bulletproof vests, shirts with POLICE emblazoned on the back, toting tasers, pepper spray, multiple guns, carrying flash bombs and retreating to a tank.

Ya CAN'T trust um.....:no::no:

That us what you get for trying to charge a cop for food.
Here's your 'community law encirclement' plan in action.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/police-shut-down-girls-lemonade-stand-for-121207241667.html

Those two scofflaws will NEVER commit that crime again. They are why I like to pay good tax money for LEOs to do. Drive around, find someone egregiously breaking the law, and BUST EM!

The only thing missing in this story is a little tune-em-up street justice.

In rural KS there might not even be cops. Dial 911 and a Sheriff Deputy or maybe State Trooper will eventually show up.

In areas of high pedestrian traffic (like a downtown area) I can see some kind of foot patrol presence making sense. Other than that, there is just too much area to cover.

Our PD does its community presence during various city-wide activities, festivals, whatever. They ride bikes (haven't seen horses that I can remember), or walk and keep the intimidation and body armor to a minimum.

Some places have gone to smaller stations. Rather than having a large station in one spot, they put multiple, smaller, stations scattered through neighborhoods.

What's interesting, in a fascist sort of way, that you think you can differentiate LEO by the clothes, body armor, weapon, etc.

A thug with a badge, is a thug with a badge. Sure, the para-military guys look worse, but that McKinney cop had a regular blue uni on and look what an azzhat he was.

Ever stop to think that cop shows on TV aren't reality, and still aren't today, but serve a specific Marketing purpose because people want to believe?

Try this next time you're watching TV cops...

Count how many rounds they fire in a single episode and figure out how many days said show was supposed to cover.

Note how many rounds hit their target. See if that matches reality.

Note the lack of use of hearing protection or even a flinch when firing in an enclosed space like a stairwell. Note none of them are deaf for a week.

Note that they almost never catch the wrong person.

Note none of them spend any significant time giving traffic tickets, even those depicted as beat cops.

Note none of them work rotating night shifts and are often too fatigued to be making life or death decisions, let alone be in a grumpy mood from it.

Note how an entire team can take the time to work a single homicide for a week or more.

Note unless it's a combination show with firefighters that a significant portion of their time isn't taken up with motor vehicle accidents.

Note not a single Federal officer (perhaps excluding Breaking Bad) ever confiscates personal property and holds it for years.

The list goes on and on. You want Andy Griffith? He's still here. And still on the boob tube. Under the names "CSI", "Blue Bloods", "Hawaii Five-O", etc etc etc.

All sorts of kids grow up watching that trash and then applying to be cops based on what they think the job is. Then they get to hose the vomit from a drunk out of the back of their cruiser at 2AM after the Sarge says, "Hey kid, why don't you take him to the station.", with a sly wink to the older guys on the scene of the street fight outside the bar near the professional sports arena of your choice.

Your TV utopia never existed, ever. Waxing nostalgic for something that never existed in the real world, in any town larger than Maybury, and even then, questionable, since even small town Police Chiefs have to kiss at least one politician's ass, or be politicians themselves in the case of Sheriffs, is kinda weird. Especially since you're old enough to know it never existed.

Did anyone ever see Andy running for Office or begging anyone in town for donations for his re-election? Pretty sure the modern Sheriff isn't headed to the fishing hole with a slice of Aunt Bee's pie, without it being a fundraiser for some "cause" and there being a van load of pies for sale.

My Sheriff isn't bad. But he actually has and needs a significant honest to goodness Posse (complete with marked Posse vehicles and piles of old men with white hair wearing Posse uniforms), to even pull off traffic control for our small town rodeo.

Ask your local politicos if they'd approve a local Posse. It's about as close as you're going to get to TV Nirvana.

http://www.elbertcountysheriff.com/posse.html

It'd be a great way to pass time in retirement. I couldn't squeeze eight hours of volunteer time and multiple mandatory meetings out of my schedule if I wanted to. Which is why when I took my new job I resigned as the Communications Engineer for another volunteer organization.

If you have the time, fire up the Posse. An organization like that can probably be the most effective bridge between groups of Citizens, those who's job is LE and those who's jobs aren't.

Thanks for the information about sheriffs. I guess that one of the things that prompted my original post came from the news about my local law enforcement officer -- the sheriff of Tulsa County. Sadly, he is in trouble over the militant actions of one of the volunteers in his 'posse.'

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/0...d-for-grand-jury-to-investigate-tulsa-county/

Which brings me back to my mother's advice. If you are in trouble and need help, find a fireman -- not a policeman.

Last edited:

I am going to call the hospital. What good are the police after you have been injured or murdered? So they catch the guy(s). What good does that do you?

In areas of high pedestrian traffic (like a downtown area) I can see some kind of foot patrol presence making sense. Other than that, there is just too much area to cover.

Understood. That was the point I was making.

I dunno. Choose your poison I guess.

gangstas.jpg

Understood. That was the point I was making.
I know - it isn't just rural KS that has that type of arrangement. It's pretty common in a lot of places. And even small towns that do have enough money for a PD might have a small enough department that it isn't possible to be mingling with the citizenry when there are $peeders to catch.

I dunno. Choose your poison I guess.

gangstas.jpg

I'd be happy to employ those young gentlemen to provide security for me.

And, it'd prolly be cheaper than paying the constabulary, including all their legal bills accumulated from excessive force. These hearty young chaps have no assets to take anyway. Once on the payroll as contractors, I'm sure I can trust them not to mess with the Meal Ticket(me).

wurd?

werd?

wird?

fa-shizzle.

If the police are so effective why do gated communities exist?

And they will tell you to make an appointment.

Some recent cop bad behavior legal case produced evidence that police would let accident victims bleed to death so they could get more overtime. Just doing their job. Send the fire dept or the SPCA please.

And they will tell you to make an appointment.

Ahhh, no they won't. They will see you in the Emergency Dept. My point was that police arrivng to arrest whomever hurt, or killed you does you no good.

Ahhh, no they won't. They will see you in the Emergency Dept. My point was that police arrivng to arrest whomever hurt, or killed you does you no good.

My wife had to take a CPR training class in St. Louis, and the first thing the instructor told her was if the police are the first to arrive on a scene where you're performing CPR, don't expect that you'll be able to stop and they'll take over. Supposedly (not sure if it's true) they're not required to know CPR.

Some recent cop bad behavior legal case produced evidence that police would let accident victims bleed to death so they could get more overtime. Just doing their job. Send the fire dept or the SPCA please.

You are reading too many liberal rags.

Back