NA Local Police NA

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
I'd like to see our police forces as local police. Instead of staying inside of cars and driving around, go back to police who walk and greet the people they are protecting. Instead of centralizing the police, put a local desk in each neighborhood. Add a desk to the local fire departments. Especially in urban locales.

When I was young, my mother told me that if I run into an emergency, if I'm being attacked, if I need help, to run to or call the fire house. That place would be manned by people who are strong, smart, and willing to rescue the people they serve. And they are findable, responsive and abundant. The police ought to be able to be as available to help the people they serve, as well. I think we'd have a lot less anger in this country toward law enforcement if we knew them and they knew us.

It's a good idea, except courts have ruled that police have no duty to protect.

I'd like to see our police forces as local police. Instead of staying inside of cars and driving around

Cars are a force extender, each officer can cover a larger patrol area. Cops on foot sounds great, but the people won't pay what it will cost. Taxes, y'now?

Unfortunately that approach won't work everywhere.

St. Louis has some areas that could probably implement something like this, where police are actually doing foot patrols (I think the city even still has some mounted officers). But the majority of the St. Louis area was not built or designed with pedestrians in mind. If I understand correctly, it's difficult and not worth the effort for a lot of people to own a car in New York City, it's the opposite here. Some efforts are being made to fix the issue, but it would require a whole re-imagining of the transportation infrastructure of the city and surrounding areas.

I prefer your suggestion to what we have now, but it's not practical here.

Some cities have put emphasis on foot patrols and "community policing". If it's something you really want, bring it up at your next city council meeting.

I would like to see police forces as little, and as far away as possible. And as restricted to getting to me as possible. I have no use for law enforcement, I'll deal with law breaking miscreants myself.

These days it seems just as likely that someone with a cellphone camera will be trying to bait cops into doing something that will end up on the internets.

I agree that it's a good idea, but as other's have said, highly impractical. But that doesn't mean impossible. Our local force is trying something similar in selected areas where they believe the relationship between cops and citizens are too confrontational. Some of the cops are on bicycles, especially the Chief of Police (of Daytona Beach) that can often be seen bicycling through various neighborhoods.

One other slight adjustment I have heard about is that cops keep their car windows rolled down. I walked up to a cop car one time. The car was idling, the A/C was on and the cop was writing in some kind of book. I tapped on the window and I thought she broke her skull when she jumped so violently at the unexpected intrusion. Had I been laying on the ground bleeding and screaming for help she would have never heard me.

But with the size of the population we have today, the urban sprawl, and the types of threats the cops have to deal with, they would be practically useless in many instances if on foot.

Nice idea though.

I would like to see police forces as little, and as far away as possible. And as restricted to getting to me as possible. I have no use for law enforcement, I'll deal with law breaking miscreants myself.
They would have much less chance of getting to you, or catching you if they were on foot.

It's a good idea, except courts have ruled that police have no duty to protect.

Well, one response to that would be change the laws so that police are required to protect.

I have to admit I am a little baffled by posts like these. And what does this have to do with us pilots who love to fly????

I'd like to see our police forces as local police. Instead of staying inside of cars and driving around, go back to police who walk and greet the people they are protecting. Instead of centralizing the police, put a local desk in each neighborhood. Add a desk to the local fire departments. Especially in urban locales.

When I was young, my mother told me that if I run into an emergency, if I'm being attacked, if I need help, to run to or call the fire house. That place would be manned by people who are strong, smart, and willing to rescue the people they serve. And they are findable, responsive and abundant. The police ought to be able to be as available to help the people they serve, as well. I think we'd have a lot less anger in this country toward law enforcement if we knew them and they knew us.

Are you and your neighbors willing to see the tax increase that would be required for this model of police presence? Also while this make work fine in a urban area with high density, what about the majority of places where people live spread out in the suburbs and foot patrols just don't make sense.

I have to admit I am a little baffled by posts like these. And what does this have to do with us pilots who love to fly????
Nothing. That's why it isn't in an aviation folder. "Hangar Talk" is just a bunch of pilots sitting around shooting the breeze.

I hope you don't become the new "Captain". He started off criticizing non-aviation threads too.

The NA___________NA in the title of a thread signifies that the thread is NOT AVIATION related. The more you know...

They would have much less chance of getting to you, or catching you if they were on foot.

I'm almost 60, and if they were in the same general area as me, it wouldn't be much of a race, unless the cop was a true donut aficionado. :D

I'm all for keeping them on foot, as long as they aren't goose-stepping outside my property on the city/county street.

Cars are a force extender, each officer can cover a larger patrol area. Cops on foot sounds great, but the people won't pay what it will cost. Taxes, y'now?
Have you seen some of the whale cops these days? There used to be a weight limit or at least a body fat index limit, but seems that they abandoned those things. It would be interesting seeing one of those chubbers chasing a suspect. He'd probably have a heart attack and drop dead after running 50 feet.

Why should they walk around when they could drive around or just sit park with the iwndows closed and air conditioning blasting away? Could they even hear a woman being raped as they drive by an alley?

It's too hard to collect taxes on foot.

If they are on foot where is all the ticket revenue going to come from? Skateboarders? Besides the places this would work don't need police presence anyway.

Well, one response to that would be change the laws so that police are required to protect.
I'm not so sure we want that. How long before lawyers and liberals begin to define "protect"? Don't you know that ice cream cone is bad for your health? And BEER! You are not going to drink that, are you? We gotta protect you; from yourself! You know it will happen.

You can already be popped for felony reckless endangerment, for endangering only yourself. I guess fat people should all be felons.:lol:

"To serve(and protect) Man". ;)

My patrol area is about 60 square miles. The problem areas are spread throughout; many of them are small areas or individual addresses miles apart from each other. Plus, I have to respond to the neighboring beat when that car needs backup. I'm not going to be much good to anyone trying to walk a beat or sitting in a storefront station. Especially when my beat only has about six retail businesses, only two of which are open after 6:00 PM.

People often tell veterans and active duty military "Thank you for your service".
I think we should do the same for the police. "Thank you for your service, A-Teamer"!
My patrol area is about 60 square miles. The problem areas are spread throughout; many of them are small areas or individual addresses miles apart from each other. Plus, I have to respond to the neighboring beat when that car needs backup. I'm not going to be much good to anyone trying to walk a beat or sitting in a storefront station. Especially when my beat only has about six retail businesses, only two of which are open after 6:00 PM.

Milwaukee has foot patrols and bike patrols. The crime rate has gone up the past few years, regardless of all this "community policing" policy. Sounds like a good idea, but it won't work.

I believe that is an ignorant thing to say.

Ignorant? It's accurate. SCOTUS has ruled exactly on that. No duty to protect. No duty to serve. I'm not google, but ask any of our residents if it's correct.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer. Find a law, any law and enforce it.

The way our laws and Constitution are written, police are reactive. They don't arrest somebody or investigate until after a crime has been committed, or there is probable cause of that crime. Do active patrols deter crime? Yes, until the patrol car gets out of sight or it's shift change.

Ignorant? It's accurate. SCOTUS has ruled exactly on that. No duty to protect. No duty to serve. I'm not google, but ask any of our residents if it's correct.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer. Find a law, any law and enforce it.
My comment had more to do with his "Why should we like cops" than the technicality of "protect and serve".

I guess it is not necessary for everyone to "Like' cops, but I think everyone should respect them. If you have a problem with a small percentage of them, then address the small percentage.

But I would hate to live in a country without cops. It is a tough and demanding job and I am happy that we have people willing to take that job on.

We have a park along the river, with bike and foot paths. City assigned bicycle officers a few years ago. Quite visible in their bike-y uniforms. They would stop and talk with you, so "relationship" happened. But then the complainers started in, with letters to the editor stridently demanding that those guys/gals should be "IN CARS, ON PATROL ON THE STREETS, DOING SERIOUS POLICE WORK!" etc. etc.

I also thank any and all police officers here for their ... ah ... enforcement activities. Especially under the ever-present cloud of critics.

My comment had more to do with his "Why should we like cops" than the technicality of "protect and serve".

I guess it is not necessary for everyone to "Like' cops, but I think everyone should respect them. If you have a problem with a small percentage of them, then address the small percentage.

But I would hate to live in a country without cops. It is a tough and demanding job and I am happy that we have people willing to take that job on.

Ok, and I guessed that, but let's be honest, respect is earned and the LEO hasn't exactly covered themselves in glory in the past 30 years. I don't want to live in a country without cops either. However, that's a far cry from what we're witnessing every day, in most cities in the US.

People who live in urban settings have a greater need of the local constabulary than I. It's not a one-size fits all deal I hope we can agree. The OP wants, and maybe needs an LEO presence constantly to thwart crime. But is that a policy way of doing things? How many watchers do we want/need? Who's watching the watchers? Who's watching them? Do you trust your govt? The DOJ? The AG?

Respect - works for citizens too, try it LEOs you'll like it.

Ok, and I guessed that, but let's be honest, respect is earned and the LEO hasn't exactly covered themselves in glory in the past 30 years. I don't want to live in a country without cops either. However, that's a far cry from what we're witnessing every day, in most cities in the US.

People who live in urban settings have a greater need of the local constabulary than I. It's not a one-size fits all deal I hope we can agree. The OP wants, and maybe needs an LEO presence constantly to thwart crime. But is that a policy way of doing things? How many watchers do we want/need? Who's watching the watchers? Who's watching them? Do you trust your govt? The DOJ? The AG?

Respect - works for citizens too, try it LEOs you'll like it.

I, for one, welcome our Fascist Overlords! :D

Back