[NA] Job opp. weird situation [NA]

I love French names. Near Oshkosh they have the Fondue Lake (Fond du Lac) It actually means the Bottom of the Lake, but I prefer to call it the Fondue Lake and ask for skewers and stuff to dip!

So, bit of an update. Did not get the original job I posted about, but I've got two opportunities (both involve moving) that I'm working.

One is a government job up near DC and the other is here in FL around Jacksonville.

The Jacksonville one I think I'm gonna pass on because its just not worth it pay-wise. The one up near DC is pretty spiffy.

I've got some hoops to jump through for it, but the hardest part is going to be telling the wife we're moving if I end up with an offer...She's rather particular about warm weather.

How's the flying situation up near DC/Baltimore area? Aside from the SFRA around DC, are there a lot of clubs/stuff in that area?

Your boss would can you on Christmas Eve and screw you out of banked vacation/sick time if it suited the "needs of the business."

Go for the better opportunity.
And in some cases now, even the matching contributions to your 401K

How's the flying situation up near DC/Baltimore area? Aside from the SFRA around DC, are there a lot of clubs/stuff in that area?
There are a decent number of clubs. There are a bunch at GAI (octopus, tss, cfc, inn), there's the Goddard 172 club at Freeway, I'm in a 182 club at JYO... probably a bunch that I'm forgetting or missing.

So, bit of an update. Did not get the original job I posted about, but I've got two opportunities (both involve moving) that I'm working.

One is a government job up near DC and the other is here in FL around Jacksonville.

The Jacksonville one I think I'm gonna pass on because its just not worth it pay-wise. The one up near DC is pretty spiffy.

I've got some hoops to jump through for it, but the hardest part is going to be telling the wife we're moving if I end up with an offer...She's rather particular about warm weather.

Good luck on getting the job.

Yes, there are some clubs and a bunch of rental outfits around the DC area. Beware the taxes and regulations on the Maryland side. The DC3 aren't too bad once you get used to them, the others in the SFRA tend to be pretty good, too. The thing to watch out for is lockdowns for major government events like the State of the Union, Inauguration, addresses to the Joint Houses of Congress, etc. In those cases, the FRZ and SFRA may be locked down completely, even if cleared.

Otherwise, good luck on the job and the move - govt roles tend to be a little less competitive right now due to the uncertainty surrounding what the Administration will do, and because there are a LOT of retirements.

Definitely. It's like a 23% INCREASE cost of living moving up there (based on bankrate), but the pay more than compensates for that. All in all it's a great opportunity.

Jacksonville isn't that much but I just got a call back and they are bumping up the pay rate for that too...man..

Have you taken into consideration the cost of living in DC and it's suburbs? The salary may sound good on the surface but you may find yourself sucking the hind one when the cost of living there is considered. You may find yourselves on the short end of the stick.

There are a decent number of clubs. There are a bunch at GAI (octopus, tss, cfc, inn), there's the Goddard 172 club at Freeway, I'm in a 182 club at JYO... probably a bunch that I'm forgetting or missing.

Cool, I was reading somewhere that a lot of the clubs have planes that are booked out for months. That'll make me feel like home, it's like that down here too heh..

Have you taken into consideration the cost of living in DC and it's suburbs? The salary may sound good on the surface but you may find yourself sucking the hind one when the cost of living there is considered. You may find yourselves on the short end of the stick.

I'd probably be living north of Columbia, or thereabouts. Definitely not DC proper or the area around it. But yeah, it's a factor.

Good luck on getting the job.

Yes, there are some clubs and a bunch of rental outfits around the DC area. Beware the taxes and regulations on the Maryland side. The DC3 aren't too bad once you get used to them, the others in the SFRA tend to be pretty good, too. The thing to watch out for is lockdowns for major government events like the State of the Union, Inauguration, addresses to the Joint Houses of Congress, etc. In those cases, the FRZ and SFRA may be locked down completely, even if cleared.

Otherwise, good luck on the job and the move - govt roles tend to be a little less competitive right now due to the uncertainty surrounding what the Administration will do, and because there are a LOT of retirements.

Thanks Bill. That's what I'm worried about flying-wise. Class B's don't worry me but the SFRA seems intimidating..maybe not to those who have flown it all the time though.

I've got a few friends in government right now, none can really help me with this position of course, but the paperwork to even get in the door looks crazy.

If you're comfortable in a bravo, the SFRA will be no big deal.

Thanks Bill. That's what I'm worried about flying-wise. Class B's don't worry me but the SFRA seems intimidating..maybe not to those who have flown it all the time though.

I've got a few friends in government right now, none can really help me with this position of course, but the paperwork to even get in the door looks crazy.

The SFRA is no big deal. If you're IFR, it's seamless (but you must get your clearance & squawk before departing, and you may not squawk 1200 anytime in the SFRA). If you're VFR, you must file, get a squawk inbound and outbound, and talk to ATC until clear of the SFRA. The SFRA is about like a Class B surface area.

Towered airport like HEF is like any other towered airport except filing for VFR departure & getting a squawk airborne on the way in.

FRZ is a bit more complicated as you have to go through a vetting procedure. I've done it when it was harder than it is now, one of our members just went through it.

It becomes second nature and won't seem intimidating at all, just a bit of extra hassle.

The SFRA is no big deal. If you're IFR, it's seamless (but you must get your clearance & squawk before departing, and you may not squawk 1200 anytime in the SFRA). If you're VFR, you must file, get a squawk inbound and outbound, and talk to ATC until clear of the SFRA. The SFRA is about like a Class B surface area.

Towered airport like HEF is like any other towered airport except filing for VFR departure & getting a squawk airborne on the way in.

FRZ is a bit more complicated as you have to go through a vetting procedure. I've done it when it was harder than it is now, one of our members just went through it.

It becomes second nature and won't seem intimidating at all, just a bit of extra hassle.

Thanks, that doesn't seem all that bad then. I have my commercial and instrument and I'm used to going using IFR even on CAVU days. Trick is that means I need to stay more current.

I haven't filed a VFR flight plan in...like 3 years. So that would be a change. On days where I just want to muck around I'll just go up and head to lunch somewhere using 1200 after leaving the class C. If I fly out of the Delta near me I just go 1200 all the way unless I need to transition the Charlie near me.

Maybe it's the whole "capital" thing that intimidates me. I imagine a bust would be pretty major.

Thanks, that doesn't seem all that bad then. I have my commercial and instrument and I'm used to going using IFR even on CAVU days. Trick is that means I need to stay more current.

I haven't filed a VFR flight plan in...like 3 years. So that would be a change. On days where I just want to muck around I'll just go up and head to lunch somewhere using 1200 after leaving the class C. If I fly out of the Delta near me I just go 1200 all the way unless I need to transition the Charlie near me.

Maybe it's the whole "capital" thing that intimidates me. I imagine a bust would be pretty major.
Yeah, no big deal. The VFR filing is actually an IFR flight plan to one of the "gates", and vice-versa. If you call, it's as easy as saying "I want to file and SFRA plan". I think Foreflight has an option to file the SFRA plan. If you want a real VFR plan, that's a separate plan. I used to do it by phone from the cell or FBO. Easy. Once you leave the SFRA, you'll squawk 1200 and continue on VFR. Coming back, you file a SFRA flight plan in advance, squawk VFR until close to the "gate" and before entering the SFRA, call Potomac, get a discreet squawk code, and proceed. It's not really flight following, but works the same way (and Potomac is pretty good about flight following if you're leaving the SFRA on a SFRA/VFR plan).

IFR plans are straightforward. No changes from what you do now, except to pick up the clearance on the ground before departure when leaving the SFRA & never, ever squawk 1200 in the SFRA.

The FRZ is a bit different - there's a special number to call and a personal code you have to give them. There's info on the W32 and VKX website.

I used to file IFR every time in and out of the SFRA until I got comfortable, then realized how straightforward the VFR SFRA stuff was.

With all the Class B airspace around here, you'll generally end up going around outside the SFRA - IAD is a major hub for UA, BWI is a major hub for WN, and DCA is close enough in that unless you're going in/out of one of the three airports in the FRZ you're not going through it anyway.

Plenty of destinations nearby: Kentmoor (grass strip near a crab house), Bay Bridge (paved airport near Hemingways restaurant), Williamsburg (restaurant), Outer Banks (First Flight, Bill Mitchell, Manteo), and several up toward the mountains. Well worth it to be comfortable with the SFRA. Heck, street traffic will be the worst part of the ride!

Yes, stiff penalties if you bust the airspace, but really easy enough to avoid as long as you have a GPS.

I'm based at VKX and fly regularly out of each of the MD3 airports. In my opinion, flying up here is great...much better than not flying, lol.

The SFRA and particularly the FRZ seem intimidating, but it's not bad. As others mentioned, it's an extra phone call (or two) but it becomes second nature. I've been at it for 12 years now and I'd much rather deal with the FRZ than driving to an airport farther out.

The key to living in the DC area is strategically living. While living far out in the suburbs may look appealing price-wise, the extra time commuting really sucks. Figure out where you're going to work, then figure out where you're going to fly, and only then make your choice of home shopping. I live in Alexandria, work downtown (18 minute drive or 25 minute metro ride), and my airplane is 18 minutes away. And gas is <$4/gal. Not bad for living under the shadow of the "most powerful city in the world".

How is your wife about eating or a roof over your heads? :p

Good luck on the job! Make sure it has the "upsides" you're looking for (potential for growth within the company or organization, adequate pay, reasonable benefits, etc.) Especially since you're going to be relocating for this position, it's going to take you away from "places and people you know" for a little while.

How is your wife about eating or a roof over your heads? :p

Good luck on the job! Make sure it has the "upsides" you're looking for (potential for growth within the company or organization, adequate pay, reasonable benefits, etc.) Especially since you're going to be relocating for this position, it's going to take you away from "places and people you know" for a little while.

Yeah, true but you may have heard the saying: happy wife happy life. It's much easier to move with someone that isn't kicking and screaming and fighting the whole way.

I've talked with her about this before (the possibility of moving) and she's pretty stubborn about staying where she is right now. We'll see, may be a non-issue.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though. I have family down here...actually all my family is down here now so that'll be a change for sure.

Wow I would be sorely tempted. Government job might mean better security than in the private sector and maybe more retirement benefits including healthcare (a second policy after Medicare is wonderful.) But moving to D.C. area? I have a feeling the wife will hate that.

Wow I would be sorely tempted. Government job might mean better security than in the private sector and maybe more retirement benefits including healthcare (a second policy after Medicare is wonderful.) But moving to D.C. area? I have a feeling the wife will hate that.

Technically it's more of a government contractor type position really, not actually going to be working for the government. She's from NC originally so that'd be pretty close weather-wise right?

Here's another potential kicker...my mother-in-law has been wanting to sell her house and move down here to be near us. Not sure she's going to want to move further north, or even if she could afford doing that.

The cost of living here in FL is pretty low..which is also why the pay sucks for most jobs compared to other places in the country.

Last edited:
Technically it's more of a government contractor type position really, not actually going to be working for the government. She's from NC originally so that'd be pretty close weather-wise right?

Here's another potential kicker...my mother-in-law has been wanting to sell her house and move down here to be near us. Not sure she's going to want to move further north, or even if she could afford doing that.

The cost of living here in FL is pretty low..which is also why the pay sucks for most jobs compared to other places in the country.

Sounds like a great opportunity, but with the MIL factor, you probably aren't moving. Coastal NC has pretty good weather. A lot of people retire there. DC does not have the same weather.

NC has three completely different weathers. Coastal or outer banks, central, and mountains. D.C. is close to central NC weather if your wife is from there.

Yeah the MIL is a complication. I don't know the answer to that. It's tough for the oldster to move around following you and your jobs but you can't be turning down better opportunities just to stay near the oldsters. Yet it's important to be close to your adult children when you get real old.

I have a couple of ex-coworkers who left government contracting jobs to take government jobs in the same field. Now they work for the government shop for which we did (and do) work as contractors. They did it for the explicit reason of security. Within 2 years we had the whole sequestration mess and they were involuntarily working 4 days a week for 80% pay. To be fair, eventually the government paid them the "back pay" (which I think is wrong since they were prohibited from doing any work on those off days, even answering email).

Sometimes it pays to be a contractor. Sometimes not. But the government jobs are not entirely secure anymore either...

I have a couple of ex-coworkers who left government contracting jobs to take government jobs in the same field. Now they work for the government shop for which we did (and do) work as contractors. They did it for the explicit reason of security. Within 2 years we had the whole sequestration mess and they were involuntarily working 4 days a week for 80% pay. To be fair, eventually the government paid them the "back pay" (which I think is wrong since they were prohibited from doing any work on those off days, even answering email).

Sometimes it pays to be a contractor. Sometimes not. But the government jobs are not entirely secure anymore either...

I do some work now as a contractor, but it's very much part-time and not reliable at all for any serious income. This position requires a public trust clearance which is like a 4 week process so I'm at least a couple months out from starting even if all that works out. I have no concerns about the clearance, but with school starting back up next month, etc..it could be longer than that before I can bring the family up.

I sense a lot of time on my own while I work things out, however no news yet on that front.

Back