[NA] Job opp. weird situation [NA]

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
I've been stressing about this lately and I need some input from complete strangers. You know..because that's what people normally do when they have to make a critical life decision, base a decision on the feedback of people you've never met :).

Good news:

I'm interviewing for a job about an hour away and it pays about 30-40% more than what I make now. That's major.

Bad news:
1 - Not sure about the company or the people.
2 - If an offer comes in, I'd have to take it immediately because:
My boss goes on vacation for two weeks at the end of next week, so I'd be giving her notice a few days before she leaves and then basically not seeing her again...ever.
My notice would consist of a week, not two.
I have vacation right after her so I'd want to start work before I leave on vacation to "break it in".

I've been with the company I work at now for almost 3 years, I'm pretty invested in it. And it seems like a pretty jerk move to quit right before the boss goes on vacation (personal not business).

I've been told that there's a possibility that if I don't start immediately or SOON, that I risk losing the opportunity to someone who CAN start earlier.

So, do I take the job if offered and live with the burned bridge of a ****ed off boss, or do I risk the job entirely and say no, can't start till end of July when we're both back?

....decisions...decisions...of course all of this is contingent on an offer, which I'm about 75% will happen.

Work and life balance. You are effectively going to be in the car 2+ hours a day. This is how much of your life? How will it impact family/friends....
Otherwise, good luck. There are no easy answers in this situation.

Tim

C'mon, you know us, we're not complete strangers! ;)

Ultimately, the decision has to be the best for you, not the current employer. As Tim says, is the 30%-40% increase in pay, worth the extra travel time day in and day out?
It might be best to research the company a little bit better before signing on the dotted line to know what you're potentially getting into.

But that's just me

Best of luck!

lot of information lacking to make a full solid decision, but business is business. if you are SURE you want the new job, I personally wouldn't worry too much about only giving one week, you gotta look out for yourself. but, sounds like you're very unsure of the new company, in which case if u went there and hated it, it might be tough to come back since u only gave 1 week.

are there other options, like asking your current employer for more money (if that's the main driving factor) ? if you add value to your current company, you'd be surprised what just asking could potentially do for you.

good luck

When I hire people, I would never expect them not to give two weeks notice, as I would not want them to do that to me. For sales, positions, it is often a different story though. Notice is not expected or wanted. If you are in a knowledge type position, perhaps you can offer to do some training/transfer type activities off hours (nights and weekends) to offset the short notice? If I were you, I would try really hard not to burn the bridge, even if it takes some extra effort. I know, in today's world, that companies often don't give references anyway, but if you treat your former company/boss right, it will come back around some day. You could ask for a personal letter of reference or you may need the connection in the future. As far as checking out the new company, you should ask to talk to one or two of the employees, if you can.

Work and life balance. You are effectively going to be in the car 2+ hours a day. This is how much of your life? How will it impact family/friends....
Otherwise, good luck. There are no easy answers in this situation.

Tim

Tim, yeah I thought about that one. It means reorganizing the pickup/dropoff schedule with my son which isn't too bad. But it also means I'll be home about 2 hours later than I usually am. Something to think about though...

what IS the driving factor, the pay increase? if so, would it be worth it to you if your current employer gave you, say, a 25% bump? 35%? saves u the hassle of starting a new job, the commute, the unknown, etc...

C'mon, you know us, we're not complete strangers! ;)

Ultimately, the decision has to be the best for you, not the current employer. As Tim says, is the 30%-40% increase in pay, worth the extra travel time day in and day out?

It might be best to research the company a little bit better before signing on the dotted line to know what you're potentially getting into.

But that's just me

Best of luck!

I did a bunch of research before I went forward with the in-person since that meant fibbing a bit to my employer :). But yeah there's something about them I can't quite put my finger on. The VP is brutally honest and I can definitely see that he not as easy-going as my current boss. But, he's way more focused, which I like. The employees I met were very quiet around him..

It's definitely worth the extra travel time, but it's gonna cost me in wear and tear and tolls. I figured that into the salary requirements (on top of everything else).

You say you're not sure about the company or the people. I'd "what if it" and know what your next move is if it doesn't work out.

what IS the driving factor, the pay increase? if so, would it be worth it to you if your current employer gave you, say, a 25% bump? 35%? saves u the hassle of starting a new job, the commute, the unknown, etc...

Yeah, it would in a way, but it would just be money at that point, its the same culture. I've got a boss that is borderline ADHD (it seems) and can't run a department. Then when people fail to read her mind it's suddenly our fault :). I'd be OK being her boss though. Doubt it would get there, the CIO and her are besties.

The pay increase is due to a seniority bump and responsibilities.

I did a bunch of research before I went forward with the in-person since that meant fibbing a bit to my employer :). But yeah there's something about them I can't quite put my finger on. The VP is brutally honest and I can definitely see that he not as easy-going as my current boss. But, he's way more focused, which I like. The employees I met were very quiet around him..

It's definitely worth the extra travel time, but it's gonna cost me in wear and tear and tolls. I figured that into the salary requirements (on top of everything else).
Sounds like a give and take from both job positions. Weight it out, sleep on it, take a flight or two and then re-evaluate.

When I hire people, I would never expect them not to give two weeks notice, as I would not want them to do that to me. For sales, positions, it is often a different story though. Notice is not expected or wanted. If you are in a knowledge type position, perhaps you can offer to do some training/transfer type activities off hours (nights and weekends) to offset the short notice? If I were you, I would try really hard not to burn the bridge, even if it takes some extra effort. I know, in today's world, that companies often don't give references anyway, but if you treat your former company/boss right, it will come back around some day. You could ask for a personal letter of reference or you may need the connection in the future. As far as checking out the new company, you should ask to talk to one or two of the employees, if you can.

Yeah I'm mostly concerned about the burning bridges thing. Plus my boss has been pretty fair with me and though the pay is mediocre and the environment is blah..I have a lot of freedom.

The client relations side of the company seems great, very outgoing. But the area I'd be with everyone was just..quiet. I was expecting all kinds of technical questions and I got like..one on the interview.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask, but have u tried sleeping with the boss? on the flip side, you could claim sexual harassment, then ask for a raise to keep quiet. I mean, do I have to come up with all the ideas??

Sounds like a give and take from both job positions. Weight it out, sleep on it, take a flight or two and then re-evaluate.

Yeah, come to think of it my 90 day pax night/day is up so maybe I should go renew that :).

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask, but have u tried sleeping with the boss? on the flip side, you could claim sexual harassment, then ask for a raise to keep quiet. I mean, do I have to come up with all the ideas??
eman, I figure you have had all these experiences that you claim are "ideas." LOL

Hah, not sure my wife would be on board with that...or would she? ;)

I see you live in Florida. Maybe there is some rich senior citizen you could marry and stop working. :)

edited to add: Did not know you are already married when I wrote this. :(

Any chance of a pay raise to stay where you are?

Maybe. We just had a person vacate the department who was a senior level employee, I've kinda been trying to figure out how to get in there or even better, higher up. Only one time in my life did I rescind acceptance of an offer to stay where I was..didn't work out like I planned.

I would not let them rush you... A good company would not expect you to leave your current position without adequate notice... ( they wouldn't like it done to them). Never make any life decision under stress or without proper due diligence... If they really think you are the right fit, they will wait... If it can go to this guy or that guy, sound a little precarious for me...

I can only speak from the limited info given, with that said, the "start almost immediately" would be a deal breaker for me. Regardless of pay increase or whatever, there is just no way I could leave like that. I would have to work out an acceptable notice, if the new employer wouldn't go for that it tells me that they would dump me just as unceremoniously. I would never leave someone in a bind like that. Now if I turned in my notice and was told "its ok if you want to go early", I would go. That's just me, I am pretty old school in my thinking I know.

I would not let them rush you... A good company would not expect you to leave your current position without adequate notice... ( they wouldn't like it done to them). Never make any life decision under stress or without proper due diligence... If they really think you are the right fit, they will wait... If it can go to this guy or that guy, sound a little precarious for me...

Agree..it's a lot of money to pass up, but there are things more important than money.

To be fair I think the recruiter is the one pushing, and I know why, he wants his big fat commission check :).

I've been stressing about this lately and I need some input from complete strangers. You know..because that's what people normally do when they have to make a critical life decision, base a decision on the feedback of people you've never met :).

Good news:

I'm interviewing for a job about an hour away and it pays about 30-40% more than what I make now. That's major.

Bad news:
2 - If an offer comes in, I'd have to take it immediately because:
My boss goes on vacation for two weeks at the end of next week, so I'd be giving her notice a few days before she leaves and then basically not seeing her again...ever.
My notice would consist of a week, not two.
I have vacation right after her so I'd want to start work before I leave on vacation to "break it in".

I've been with the company I work at now for almost 3 years, I'm pretty invested in it. And it seems like a pretty jerk move to quit right before the boss goes on vacation (personal not business).

I've been told that there's a possibility that if I don't start immediately or SOON, that I risk losing the opportunity to someone who CAN start earlier.

So, do I take the job if offered and live with the burned bridge of a ****ed off boss, or do I risk the job entirely and say no, can't start till end of July when we're both back?

....decisions...decisions...of course all of this is contingent on an offer, which I'm about 75% will happen.

That statement raises a huge red flag in my mind. If they truly want you they should be willing to wait for you to give your current employer the customary notice. I've been out of the labor market for twelve years but can still spot fraud in recruiting. They want to hire you, but what is their rush? They make everything sound rosy, and offer promises they are unable to keep in the long run. Will the company go down the tubes if you don't start immediately or will they wait to do that till just after you're ensconced in your new position? Sounds like a sexual invitation to be the one who gets screwed. While you are under no obligation to give your present employer proper notice it may reflect on your reputation and future job choices should you not do so.

Don't walk away from this job. Run away from it at your best speed. Rats stink, and this one is smelly.

I can only speak from the limited info given, with that said, the "start almost immediately" would be a deal breaker for me. Regardless of pay increase or whatever, there is just no way I could leave like that. I would have to work out an acceptable notice, if the new employer wouldn't go for that it tells me that they would dump me just as unceremoniously. I would never leave someone in a bind like that. Now if I turned in my notice and was told "its ok if you want to go early", I would go. That's just me, I am pretty old school in my thinking I know.

I'm the same way. I'd like to give my employer the option to have me around WITH them for 2 weeks (at least). If they say "no", well..then fine, but in all the positions I've had I haven't had someone say no, you can go today or early.

And, with my boss out I worry about her mental situation about recruiting and figuring out what the hell to do when she gets back over her vacation. I know, it's probably not my problem, but I'm that kind of person too.

You can split the baby.

Accept the new job with a start date "on or before" [date]. Then resign your current position as of [date] and request to be released earlier if that does not impede their priorities.

It's admirable that you are concerned with your former employer, but for everyone who thinks they must do the "two week notice" there is someone who was told "we won't won't need you, clean off your desk"

Yeah, it would in a way, but it would just be money at that point, its the same culture. I've got a boss that is borderline ADHD (it seems) and can't run a department. Then when people fail to read her mind it's suddenly our fault :). I'd be OK being her boss though. Doubt it would get there, the CIO and her are besties.

The pay increase is due to a seniority bump and responsibilities.

Welcome to adulthood. This is life. You just described every single job in America, public, private, or government. You're only gonna trade one set of BS headaches for a new set of BS headaches by jumping ship.

Me, I'd be up front with the old boss. You have an offer, you'd rather stay. Can they make your stay worthwhile? If not, give the new employer a start date that works for you. If they can't handle it then they aren't right people. Not burning bridges is important, our world is small. Transparency, empathy, and honesty can usually keep the bridges non-inflamed.

I transitioned into a new company eight months ago, so here's to food for thought.

1. Why leave the old company? Why not try a new position/new boss in the current company.
2. What is the total compensation package being offered and how does it compare to what you have now.
3. Culture fit. What does it mean to you, your current employer, your prospective employer. When new hires leave quickly, it's usually because of culture fit. Define that.
4. Expectations. Why isn't the prospective employer filling this 'senior' position internally?
5. Recruiter. Is this an internal recruiter for the prospective company or is this an outside headhunter. How did they find you? What's their reason for pitching the position to you?
6. Have you given any type of feedback to your current boss as to what makes you unhappy/unengaged in your current position? And, then given that boss the chance to change?

Employment is a mercantile relationship; your employer, you company, isn't "family". They won't baby sit or contribute to your kids education. If it became financially or politically expedient, they'd sacrifice you like a VooDoo chicken. Not all of them, of course, and the ones that would might feel bad about it. But you'd be gone, regardless.

Make your call based on what's best for you. If the new place is making you wary, maybe you take a pass. . .other jobs will come along. But worrying about the impact to your present employer shoudn't enter into your call.

No law says you have to give two weeks notice, unless it is in a contract. But it is considered the norm.

And talking to the current company about another offer may get you fired on the spot.

A 30-40% pay increase is major change. I like the people I work with, but if someone offered me 40% more money I'd be writing my resignation letter; for the same type of work, including the increase in responsibility you mentioned. More pay means more of other things as well. More savings in the 401k, including more match from the company, many company paid life insurance is salary based, so that would be higher too, and of course the downside of higher taxes.

Sucks on the timing for your current boss, but that's what happens sometimes. Talk to the hiring manager or HR at the new company about the start date, there may be some flexibility. End of July may be a bit much though. I've been a hiring managers for many years. I'm fine with someone that wants 3 or 4 weeks to wrap up a big project they are on. I like that commitment to their work.

Are you able to move closer if things work out well? Or does your wife work near your current home? Short commutes are great. My current commute is 15 min and my prior commute was 10 min; and that's in Atlanta. :cool: Or how flexible are the hours? I often started early when our kids were young, 6 am in the morning, and then I'd leave at 4 pm (or earlier on Fridays due to Atlanta traffic) to pick the kids up in the afternoon.

You can split the baby.

Accept the new job with a start date "on or before" [date]. Then resign your current position as of [date] and request to be released earlier if that does not impede their priorities.

It's admirable that you are concerned with your former employer, but for everyone who thinks they must do the "two week notice" there is someone who was told "we won't won't need you, clean off your desk"

Right that makes sense, I think however in my case that means I either start after my vacation (which is mid-July) or right before, meaning I lose a week of new job training while I'm on vacation. I don't know if the new employer would want me for a week then gone, then back again. And cancelling my vacation is definitely NON negotiable, new job or not.

Welcome to adulthood. This is life. You just described every single job in America, public, private, or government. You're only gonna trade one set of BS headaches for a new set of BS headaches by jumping ship.

Yep, very true.

Me, I'd be up front with the old boss. You have an offer, you'd rather stay. Can they make your stay worthwhile? If not, give the new employer a start date that works for you. If they can't handle it then they aren't right people. Not burning bridges is important, our world is small. Transparency, empathy, and honesty can usually keep the bridges non-inflamed.

That works, but I'd be concerned about having a timestamp on the offer that is before when I could actually start. All this is just theoretical at this point because I don't actually HAVE the offer. But if I did and it was a start date I could live with (and they could too) that might work out.

I very much doubt the current employer will counter if given the chance. Not at a 30-40% increase..that'd be one heck of a promotion. But hey it might be possible.

@TCABM

1. Why leave the old company? Why not try a new position/new boss in the current company.

I thought about that, but there aren't many internal openings that get posted. And fewer that are actually in my realm of expertise. Most are sales positions or low end finance jobs.

2. What is the total compensation package being offered and how does it compare to what you have now.

That is REALLY important to me. Without an offer or speaking with HR directly I can't answer that. I do know my current job has some rather nice benefits so, outside of salary I'd be looking hard at those in the new company, for sure.

3. Culture fit. What does it mean to you, your current employer, your prospective employer. When new hires leave quickly, it's usually because of culture fit. Define that.
4. Expectations. Why isn't the prospective employer filling this 'senior' position internally?

Good point. One company I worked at never promoted from within, they always hired externally and it was one of the most annoying things about them.

5. Recruiter. Is this an internal recruiter for the prospective company or is this an outside headhunter. How did they find you? What's their reason for pitching the position to you?

Outside headhunter, found me via LinkedIn or something. It started out as a "hey, if you know anyone that does this" (like they all do) and after I looked at it thought, hey might as well take a chance.

6. Have you given any type of feedback to your current boss as to what makes you unhappy/unengaged in your current position? And, then given that boss the chance to change?

Most of my problem with my current position is the wishy/washy nature of my superiors. Not much I can do there. Pay is also mediocre (compared to other jobs I've had), but for my position title it's probably about average nationally. And I'm almost constantly bored. I frequently ask how I can help out, what I can do to decrease my co-worker's workload, etc.

A 30-40% pay increase is major change. I like the people I work with, but if someone offered me 40% more money I'd be writing my resignation letter; for the same type of work, including the increase in responsibility you mentioned. More pay means more of other things as well. More savings in the 401k, including more match from the company, many company paid life insurance is salary based, so that would be higher too, and of course the downside of higher taxes.

Sucks on the timing for your current boss, but that's what happens sometimes. Talk to the hiring manager or HR at the new company about the start date, there may be some flexibility. End of July may be a bit much though. I've been a hiring managers for many years. I'm fine with someone that wants 3 or 4 weeks to wrap up a big project they are on. I like that commitment to their work.

Are you able to move closer if things work out well? Or does your wife work near your current home? Short commutes are great. My current commute is 15 min and my prior commute was 10 min; and that's in Atlanta. :cool: Or how flexible are the hours? I often started early when our kids were young, 6 am in the morning, and then I'd leave at 4 pm (or earlier on Fridays due to Atlanta traffic) to pick the kids up in the afternoon.

Yeah 40% is no joke. It would help out a lot right now actually. Even if I quit after 2 years, the financial impact I could make in that short time would be significant.

I know I can't plan around when things come in, I guess I just wish I could take this through the SAME cycle I've used for all the other jobs I've left. Seems unprofessional to me to just quit same day and walk out...but I get that sometimes the employer wants exactly that. My father gave his employer notice that he was retiring recently, employer asked for 3 months then came back and said I only need one.

Wife works close to home, I get the feeling my hours would NOT be flexible. Especially with hard deadlines. I'd probably leave around 6 as well, wouldn't be able to leave the office until about 6 PM at night (commute during rush hour sucks too in that area).

I'd like to move closer to that area, but things are a bit tight right now and I don't think I could just pack up and move everyone without a little cushion, so I'm stuck where I am. I KNOW I'm going to hate the commute over time...

Yeah 40% is no joke. It would help out a lot right now actually. Even if I quit after 2 years...

I get the feeling my hours would NOT be flexible.

I'd like to move closer to that area, but things are a bit tight right now ...I KNOW I'm going to hate the commute over time...

The increase pay may be reflective of an increased cost of living.

Firm hours are what they are. Is the position really a 40hr week or is it a minimum of 40 hrs/wk.

Moving costs more than you think. The overall increase in income is going to be impacted by the increased costs in all these areas.

You didn't answer question 3, which would be the most important one, for me.

Back