[NA] IRS form W-4

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Will the IRS accept W-2s printed on ordinary 8.5"x11" copy paper in black ink?
These are the ones distributed to employees, employee files with their return.

Quickbooks provides these to me as if they are ready to distribute, but I thought we needed the preprinted, colored, perforated, IRS forms in the past?

If you file electronically (TurboTax etc) you just enter the info from the W2. Just hold on to that copy for your records though. If not, I don't know but would think it would be acceptable. I'm not an accountant so.... ;)

The answer is YES, you can submit your own printed copy if you are making a paper filing. W-2s come in so many formats that the IRS doesn't care as long as it has the 16 (or whatever) numbered boxes.

And Mscard is right. You don't even need the form if you're efiling.

Thanks.
Yes I will be e-filing my copy of the W-2 and W-3 to the IRS.
This is about providing the W-2 to employees, however.

My W-2 comes to me as an email notice from my employer. I log in and print as necessary from there. We still have the option for having it mailed to us, but fewer stateside employees are taking thar option.

My W-2 from my employer is available online and if I want to I can print it. Same with my 1099-INT from banks and my 1098-E from my educational finance institutions. I normally use these and have my return E-Filed before the end of February. I'm always waiting on one or two places that don't make the forms available electronically...

The IRS does not care one way or another.

However you are very likely to have an employee think otherwise. This will be the same employee who does not believe in direct deposit.

The 1099/1098 don't get filed with YOUR returns. You just reflect whatever they represent on your return. The IRS already has them. I think the W-2 with return is an anachronism. The IRS already has that information computerized. I don't know why it's worth the bother to deal with them on the paper filings.

Back