[NA] Internet fail workarounds

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I live in a rural area which is prone to regular AT&T internet failures.
Like today.
When this happens, we have no voip phone or internet or credit card access at work, and those with AT&T cell service are down too.
Verizon is the only internet service in this area, and it usually does work. (using it now to type this)

So, in this age of maximal connectivity, I have to wonder if there is some way for my iphone to make its signal available to the work router so that we can be up again?
I can already hotspot to other devices including my laptop.
I can surely limit the data use to only essentials if that is suggested as a problem.

Have you considered starlink? My neighbor used that in our cellular free area until we finally got fiber.

To tether your router to your iPhone involves your router needing to use WIFI on the wan side. Most won't. You can add an additional box or get one of the ones that is set up to do this. Do you have anything hardwired there now or is it all wifi as far as clients go.

You could get another router, configure it as a wireless client (connected to the iphone hotspot), then hardwire that to the work router's WAN port. But the phone hotspot is going to be slow, especially once you exceed Verizon's data allowance.

Only 5 miles out of town here and DSL is garbage. Thankful the cellular coverage is getting better.
I've got Tmobile home internet ($55) and Verizon home internet ($25 with our discount because our cell phones are with them) which is an improvement from the days when Unlimited jet pack plans were big $$ and subject to throttling.
Each service has its days where they're having issues and you get by on the other. Both plumbed into a cheap multiwan router that feeds my mesh Wifi router.
The money I've spent to get reliable internet in the last 8 years probably could have covered a paint job for my Skyhawk.

+1 for T-Mobile home internet if it's an option in your area. It's been great for us; fast, reliable, no complaints...

+1 for T-Mobile home internet if it's an option in your area. It's been great for us; fast, reliable, no complaints...
Wish they would sell it to me - but not offered where I live. OTOH I can use my cell phone as a wireless hotspot - and it works pretty well.

Dave

Wish they would sell it to me - but not offered where I live. OTOH I can use my cell phone as a wireless hotspot - and it works pretty well.

Dave
The local T-mobile store advised my home address wasn't on their approved serviceable address list, and as such, stated they could not sell one to me either. I knew it would work as my cell phone with Mint mobile service (a T-mobile MVNO) works great there. I gave the T-mobile store an address for one of our vacation homes which they stated was serviceable. The were happy to sign me up for the device using that address on their records. They don't seem to care where the device actually resides.

Last I knew you could get routers that would work with cellular backup. That's not using a phone, it's using a cellular module or card in the router. We've used that for remote offices that need backup. I don't know how well it would work for VOIP phones. That didn't used to be a DIY thing, as you have to setup the router to know how to switch from one to the other and back, and it at least used to be dependent on your current wired and cell carriers. So a local network company solution.

We used to use sat for some sites, but the latency is miserable. That would likely work for credit card processing, it's designed to work on slower links, but probably not at all for VOIP. Basic web browsing works, conferencing with video usually does not. Just my experience with the two carriers we had that worked in NY.

If you're doing some retail, maybe the cheapest option would be to get a hot spot from your carrier, and have a separate cc reader and a couple of tablets setup to work with the hotspot stuffed in a cabinet. When Internet goes out, switch devices. Configure your VOIP phone to ring over to a cell phone if the IP phone fails. That should be possible with any decent service, used to use that with Vonage for example. That's duplicate hardware, but more reliable and simple enough that any of your staff should be able to take it out and turn it on.

The local T-mobile store advised my home address wasn't on their approved serviceable address list, and as such, stated they could not sell one to me either. I knew it would work as my cell phone with Mint mobile service (a T-mobile MVNO) works great there. I gave the T-mobile store an address for one of our vacation homes which they stated was serviceable. The were happy to sign me up for the device using that address on their records. They don't seem to care where the device actually resides.
Thanks for the info. TMobile also offers a "Lite" option, which is basically the same but there are data caps rather than being unlimited. You can exceed the cap simply by paying more - and also be on a
waiting list for the Unlimited service for when (if) it becomes available. One thing I don't like about TMobile's plan is that you must use their device, and it has no provision for using external antennas
(which I would probably want). However, it is still worth considering. There is a great deal of pertinent information on this and other possibilities on this website: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
The website is directed at the RV crowd - but covers pretty much everything out there.

Dave

We had good internet here in AK but switched to Starlink a couple of months ago. I’m very happy with it. Much faster than what we had and less expensive. My TX house has radio internet and that works well, but once Starlink service reaches that house? I’ll switch.

Thanks for the info. TMobile also offers a "Lite" option, which is basically the same but there are data caps rather than being unlimited. You can exceed the cap simply by paying more - and also be on a
waiting list for the Unlimited service for when (if) it becomes available. One thing I don't like about TMobile's plan is that you must use their device, and it has no provision for using external antennas
(which I would probably want). However, it is still worth considering. There is a great deal of pertinent information on this and other possibilities on this website: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
The website is directed at the RV crowd - but covers pretty much everything out there.

Dave
I saw some hacks on T-mobile devices where external directional antennas were connected with good results. Check YouTube. If you have one of the portable 4G or 5G T-mobile routers, you can plug in some MIMO antennas that increases signal strength.

It's a minor alteration :D

Tmo is not offered at my home, but the store set me up anyway. I thought I would need the MIMO antennae, but the thing works great -- it is in a metal framed cabinet inside of my hangar, surrounded by other hangars. I can't tether on my G Pixel for beans, even stood in the alley between hangars -- but this little trashcan router gives great speed and service -- zooms, games, downloads, all sufficiently speedy. I got a discount for having a Tmo voice line also, so paying $40/mo. I'm on an old simple choice plan -- apparently it's $30/mo in my area if you're on one of the newer voice plans.

1695739042803.png

Verizon offers a home internet product for $50/month. It may be worth adding that as a backup connection.

I don't know if they are offering a business line on that type of plan, but if they are, it may be worthwhile to get the upgrade.

Starlink is worth considering if nothing else is available, but it's expensive and performance (for me) has been inconsistent.

I saw some hacks on T-mobile devices where external directional antennas were connected with good results. Check YouTube. If you have one of the portable 4G or 5G T-mobile routers, you can plug in some MIMO antennas that increases signal strength.
I have been reading about the latest equipment on YouTube every day, and am aware that TMobile now offers several routers, some of which support external antennas. I may or may not need
an external antenna - I get 4G/5G service in the house (sometimes fine, sometimes not so fine) using my phone as a WiFi Hotspot. The only thing holding me back is that I am still told "Not Available
At This Address". OTOH the next poster says that he was in the same situation but his local TMobile Store set him up anyway. I will check that out.

One thing holding TMobile back from adding additional 5G capacity is that, while they won additional spectrum at auction, the FCC currently lacks authority to issue them a license to use it.
I heard today that a bill has been introduced in congress to address that very matter. Let's hope that it gets acted upon promptly.

Dave

I have been reading about the latest equipment on YouTube every day, and am aware that TMobile now offers several routers, some of which support external antennas. I may or may not need
an external antenna - I get 4G/5G service in the house (sometimes fine, sometimes not so fine) using my phone as a WiFi Hotspot. The only thing holding me back is that I am still told "Not Available
At This Address". OTOH the next poster says that he was in the same situation but his local TMobile Store set him up anyway. I will check that out.

One thing holding TMobile back from adding additional 5G capacity is that, while they won additional spectrum at auction, the FCC currently lacks authority to issue them a license to use it.
I heard today that a bill has been introduced in congress to address that very matter. Let's hope that it gets acted upon promptly.

Dave
Update:

So on Friday i visited the local TMobile Store and told the clerk I wanted one of their 5G Gateways (and that I am a longtime TMobile customer). With hardly a word he went
in the back room and returned with one, then proceeded to set it up. So far it has cost me nothing (15-day free trial). So far so good.

The bad news was that the unit didn't work when I got home with it (showed a SIM Error nearly every time I booted it up). Twice it did initialize properly - but lost the connection
(reverting back to the SIM error) before I could do anything with it. Today I took it back and they cheerfully exchanged it for another (and set that one up while I watched).

This one works well, showing 5G and about 40 MB download speed (but still only two bars of signal) - final placement still to be determined.
I am using it as I type this. I guess the old adage that the answer to your question depends on who you ask is certainly true where TMobile is concerned.

Dave

If you are trying to port internet from your phone hotspot to a router, consider buying a travel router and link that wirelessly to your phone hotspot and plug an ethernet cord into the travel router to your main router. I bought a travel router to pick up an Xfinity hot spot signal for my hangar so that I would not have to pay for internet. It works great!

Back