[NA] If you weren't a pilot, how would you prove you speak English?

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
My company is bidding on a project that will require work on a USMC base. One element of the RFP states: "[FONT=&quot]Contractor [FONT=&quot]Responsibilit[FONT=&quot]ies[/FONT][/FONT]....Ensuring that all personnel directly or indirectly employed by the contractor and requiring entrance to this facility shall be English speaking. Appropriate documentation shall be submitted to the security pass office prior to entrance to this facility."

Any suggestions on what appropriate documentation [FONT=&quot]would prove someone speaks English, besides a pilot's certificate[/FONT]?
[/FONT]

I would ask them what "appropriate documentation" entails.

We get all sorts of requests like this (not about speaking English though) from customers and each one while asking the same thing has different definitions of what they want.

See if they can spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. If they can't do that, I'd be suspicious.

A sign off by human resources should. Be more than enough,short of each individual going to the hiring authority and speaking English.

I would ask the question during the Q&A portion of the review. The govt is required to respond, although it can be my favorite "see section XXX.XX of the RFP".

I'm betting that in good military fashion, there is a specification in the bid announcement that refers to some official document that spells out acceptable methods of compliance.

Probably just something like a signed affidavit from each employee that they can speak, read and write in english.

51TACxebFQL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The easiest method is to ask for a HS diploma from a US state, or protectorate, or a GED.

Failing that, they can take a test through one of the various ESL evaluation schools, or ESL training facilities. They will give an oral test and provide a basic score.

How would a pilot be able to prove they can speak, read and understand the Engrish language..??? :dunno: :lol::lol::lol:

I got one of the first plastic certificates, before the strip.... I have been thusly informed that I am good to go unless I take a job overseas.

How would a pilot be able to prove they can speak, read and understand the Engrish language..??? :dunno: :lol::lol::lol:

I got one of the first plastic certificates, before the strip.... I have been thusly informed that I am good to go unless I take a job overseas.

My employer required me to get a re-issued cert with the English proficient endorsement.

My employer required me to get a re-issued cert with the English proficient endorsement.

My POI has told me all I need to do is get my cert re-issued. Not a problem at all. He has offered to do it for me several times. I just like my odd ball certificate. I tell most people I made it myself... :lol::lol::lol:

MARtel and ICAO both have internationally recognized proficiency tests.

I have never understood the need for the English Proficient statement on the pilot certificate since per the FAR Part 61 in order to be eligible for a pilot certificate one must "be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language". Seems redundant to have the fact that one is English proficient written on one's certificate as English proficiency is a requirement to have the certificate in the first place. Yeah, I know that it is an ICAO thing and it makes sense if you received your pilot certificate from some country that is not English speaking and does not have the regulatory requirements that we do. I will say though when I flew a bunch in SoCal that I heard several pilots who I would not consider English proficient. Not sure what their DPE thought about their language skills.

I have never understood the need for the English Proficient statement on the pilot certificate since per the FAR Part 61 in order to be eligible for a pilot certificate one must "be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language". Seems redundant to have the fact that one is English proficient written on one's certificate as English proficiency is a requirement to have the certificate in the first place. Yeah, I know that it is an ICAO thing and it makes sense if you received your pilot certificate from some country that is not English speaking and does not have the regulatory requirements that we do. I will say though when I flew a bunch in SoCal that I heard several pilots who I would not consider English proficient. Not sure what their DPE thought about their language skills.

Because it makes it ICAO compliant, without it it is useless anywhere else in the world.

as I always say...

English is my second language. Too bad I don't have a first.

Is it a long term contract where your people will be issued a CAC? (Base ID). The security pass office isn't going to know anything about English certifications. It looks like they're asking for the CAC application (or temp badge application) and a valid Govt issued photo ID to be presented to gain entry. I do this type of thing every few weeks for DOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My company is bidding on a project that will require work on a USMC base. One element of the RFP states: "[FONT=&quot]Contractor [FONT=&quot]Responsibilit[FONT=&quot]ies[/FONT][/FONT]....Ensuring that all personnel directly or indirectly employed by the contractor and requiring entrance to this facility shall be English speaking. Appropriate documentation shall be submitted to the security pass office prior to entrance to this facility."

Any suggestions on what appropriate documentation [FONT=&quot]would prove someone speaks English, besides a pilot's certificate[/FONT]?
[/FONT]
From the snippet you provided, I can't tell if the documentation is related to English proficiency or if it is documentation (ID, etc) required by security for a base pass.

Probably just a statement from you as the contractor would work. Goal is to make sure crew can understand instructions, not pass a toefl exam.

That's my current plan.

I would ask the question during the Q&A portion of the review. The govt is required to respond, although it can be my favorite "see section XXX.XX of the RFP".

Q&A period is over; now we're writing the proposal. This was a minor issue compared to the other flaws in the RFP that we asked about.

I'm betting that in good military fashion, there is a specification in the bid announcement that refers to some official document that spells out acceptable methods of compliance.

Not in this case. I did find a PDF of an order from the base CO on base entry requirements, and English proficiency is not listed. The only thing I've found so far is a requirement that all child-care workers on base be English proficient. This RFP was put together by people who apparently know just enough to be dangerous.

Is it a long term contract where your people will be issued a CAC? (Base ID). The security pass office isn't going to know anything about English certifications. It looks like they're asking for the CAC application (or temp badge application) and a valid Govt issued photo ID to be presented to gain entry. I do this type of thing every few weeks for DOD.

No, we'll just be on-site for a week or so to install and test and train the system.

From the snippet you provided, I can't tell if the documentation is related to English proficiency or if it is documentation (ID, etc) required by security for a base pass.

The snippet is all we have. If you assume the two sentences go together, then it reads like they will not issue a base pass without some documentation of English proficiency.

That's my current plan.

Q&A period is over; now we're writing the proposal. This was a minor issue compared to the other flaws in the RFP that we asked about.

Not in this case. I did find a PDF of an order from the base CO on base entry requirements, and English proficiency is not listed. The only thing I've found so far is a requirement that all child-care workers on base be English proficient. This RFP was put together by people who apparently know just enough to be dangerous.

The snippet is all we have. If you assume the two sentences go together, then it reads like they will not issue a base pass without some documentation of English proficiency.

There is also a TOEFL certification that may work.

I'd put it to them this way:

I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy cork-soakers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Well, by having them submit their resume in English and conducting the interview in English. What make things hard and involve paperwork and endorsements and whatnot when you don't have to?

Back