-NA- Honda Element (x/post from red board)

DeeG

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
DeeG
Anyone out here drive one of these?

Compliments, comments, complaints on it? We are considering getting rid of our 03 GMC Sonoma crew cab, and the Element will fit the bill quite well.

I like the versitility of it, the lack of carpet is great (I hate cleaning up mud and stuff off the carpet), its a whole lot roomier inside than the Vibe, mileage is acceptable, seats are fairly comfy, although I haven't driven it yet.

If you have one, what maintenance issues have you encountered? Any warranty issues?

Thanks,

Dee

Tell them they forgot to paint the fenders:D

Has to be the UGLIEST vehicle I have ever laid eyes on...makes the AMC Gremlin and Pacer look cute!

Whatever you do don't get the "Woody" version... I saw one in the health club parking lot and had to avert my eyes to keep from vomiting on it.

Missa

While it's not particularly pleasing to my critical eye, I like some of its features. I guess you can pop out the seats and hose down the inside!! All of the flip out doors are an interesting concept but I wonder about noise?

No comments for you, Dee, other than take it out on a noisy road when testing.

If you buy one and wait 30 years, it might become a "cult" car like the Gremlin and Pacer. :)

I'm surprised the Element doesn't fly from repelling the ground.

Dee,

Look at the new Toyota Land Cruiser coming out soon. Its an updated FJ40.

Brian Austin said:
While it's not particularly pleasing to my critical eye
That's a nice way of saying it! :eek:

Anthony said:
Look at the new Toyota Land Cruiser coming out soon. Its an updated FJ40.

56K and only 13 mpg? Not a chance. I want something that's small, economical, has lots of interior room, and doesn't mind the mud.

It would kill me to get an expensive, plush vehicle and have it get dirty from muddy bikes and a wet tent.

I kinda like the look of the Element. Its different, and not everyone is driving one. My Vibe was like that three years ago. There were only two of them in the valley. Now they are everywhere. In fact, a gal that works downstairs in the records dept has one EXACTLY like mine. Right down to the law enforcement memorial license plate. --sigh-- Time to get rid of the Vibe too.

DeeG said:
56K and only 13 mpg?

I think your talking about the old Land Cruiser, which is much bigger, like a Tahoe. The new one is not out yet, but should retail in the $25 - $28K range. Mileage will probably s*ck (18/19 MPG) though as I think its built on the Forerunner platform.

Regarding the Element.....Oh, my eyes!!!!!! You didn't post a picture? Sorry.

:)

DeeG said:
I want something that's small, economical, has lots of interior room, and doesn't mind the mud.
Isn't the Element rather low for off road work?

subaru's like mud :) outback xt - 250hp, 250tq, all wheel drive. i have a legacy gt with the same engine as the outback. soo fun to drive.

Small - OK
Economical - well not really
Works in mud - you bet, loves mud

What is it?

Jeep Wrangler, what else?

flyingcheesehead said:
It's ugly, but not the ugliest... Pontiac Aztek takes the cake on that one.

No kidding. I want to know what goup of GM executives sat around at a table and said, "Yeah, we'll sell MILLIONS!!!"

flyingcheesehead said:

I totally agree. My cousin has one, but he lives in Jersey, so what's he know.

I saw an Element on the road yesterday. Its not a bad looking vehicle, just different. And its a Honda, which as many have said are darn good cars.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:

I don't think Dee expects it to be like a Jeep Wrangler, but for snow and some dirt roads/muds it would be fine. Its no built rig like we have here in CO. I swear, almost every Jeep is highly modded. Lockers, Lifts, 33 in tires, Winches, etc.

flyingcheesehead said:

The Production Pontiac Aztek is FUGLY but the prototype Aztek shown at the autoshow was AWESOMELY cool. Going into production they made some BAD comprimises that made it FUGLY: Build it on the mini van platfom cause they had open capacity which lowered it, reduced the wheels so it looked out of ballance and you coun't fix those two items aftermarket... then the back end got screwed up becuase it to make it strucly sound and... and... and... voila Fugly vehicle. If they had managed to produce what they showed at the autoshow... it would have FLOWN off the dealer lots.

Missa
- I still think the element is Fulglier.

Missa said:
- I still think the element is Fulglier.

You've got to be kidding, the Element is merely slightly homely, that Atek is FUGLY. But then again, I think the new BMW designs have been hit by the ugly stick (tree?) too many times.

Bill Jennings said:
You've got to be kidding, the Element is merely slightly homely, that Atek is FUGLY. But then again, I think the new BMW designs have been hit by the ugly stick (tree?) too many times.

The Astek has a consistant design flow although it's gangly and out of proportion.

The Element looks like someone built it out of Leggos with no reguard to a style flow. I really don't have much of a problem with the grey body panals but there isn't a clean line on that sucker. It like two cars chopped up and superglued together.

I could be biased because when the Astek was shown at the autoshow, I wanted one. But that one looked more like a supersized Vibe in all the correct proportions then what the Astek became in production and I see hints of that car in the production Astek.

Missa

Bill Jennings said:
I think the new BMW designs have been hit by the ugly stick (tree?) too many times.

Oh you are so right. BMW had to "promote" the guy out of design, becuase he ruining the 7 and 5 series. If you notice the 3 series is much toned down design as it was the last model to get the updated re-design. That designer should have a meeting with the "Gestapo". :)

Brian Austin said:
While it's not particularly pleasing to my critical eye, I like some of its features. I guess you can pop out the seats and hose down the inside!!

NO!!!!!!! :hairraise:

Honda says it may look like you can hose it out, but water would be very bad. There is electrical wiring going through the interior that would not be happy gettting wet.

On the Car Talk web site the Honda Element was voted one of the top 5 for ugliest car ever.

I considered one for a while, but saw that it was aimed at the 20-something surfer dude market and that ain't me.

Jann's best friend has one she uses between Manhattan and Long Island. She loves it and Jann thought it was cool. Jann bought the Hyundai Sante Fe.

Last edited:
:vomit: My favorite Aztek Picture.
I've rented a few of them. That bar across therear window really s**ks.

Attachments

• Aztek.jpg
    Aztek.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18
Keith Lane said:
That bar across the rear window really s**ks.

Not in the prototype added to the production because they couldn't make the glass do what they wanted it to.

Missa

Brian Austin said:

Not looking for serious off road stuff. I meant 'mud', because my driveway is dirt, and we ride bikes, which means more dirt. When it rains, all that dirt turns to mud. The front carpet on my Vibe has to be almost detailed every week. Right now, my driveway is a mud pit. blech.

DeeG said:
Not looking for serious off road stuff. I meant 'mud', because my driveway is dirt, and we ride bikes

Volkswagon Golf TDI turbo diesel 5 speed. 18cuft with the back seat up, 42cu ft with it folded down. Bikes on a rack on the roof. 37mpg city, 44mpg highway. Front wheel drive, $20k

DeeG said:
Not looking for serious off road stuff. I meant 'mud', because my driveway is dirt, and we ride bikes, which means more dirt. When it rains, all that dirt turns to mud. The front carpet on my Vibe has to be almost detailed every week. Right now, my driveway is a mud pit. blech.

Dee, you sound like what you really need is a pickup truck. Keep the mud out of the cab. Wash down the bed any old time. Or just come over here and let all this RAIN do it for you.

Missa said:
Whatever you do don't get the "Woody" version... I saw one in the health club parking lot and had to avert my eyes to keep from vomiting on it.

Missa

The Woody Version?????????? wouldn't that be the crate it came in?

Ghery,

We had three p/u trucks. 81 Mazda diesel, which we sold last month, 89 Dodge Cummins TD, and the 03 GMC crew cab Sonoma.

Yesterday we went for a drive in the Element, brought it up to the house, and took it down our lower driveway. It is MUCH steeper than the upper driveway and had about 3" of slushy ice/snow on it. Did fine on it, even with the stock tires. An incredible amount of cargo space in this thing, about 67 cubic ft. The turning radius is really tight, much better than the Vibe. Road noise was a bit more than the Vibe, about the same as the Sonoma. Front visibilty is good, side vis is OK, I guess you would get used to the huge pillars. Adequate power for our needs, again, better than the Vibe. And it has a decent stereo with XM radio built in, along with an aux jack to plug in my iPod. Soooo......we drove back to the Honda dealer and handed over the keys to the Sonoma. Drove the car home that night, and met with sme friends for dinner. The look on thier faces when they saw the car was precious. hehehehe It was one of them classic, "What the he!!??" looks. Too chilly out for them to really take a look at it, but I could tell it wasn't for them. They drive a nice new S class Benz. Went back this morning and finished up the legal stuff, and now we are the proud owners of a red 05 Element. Yeah, I know, its already a year old...technically, but we got a heck of a deal on it. Brand new and about a grand cheaper than the USED 03 sitting on the lot at the Nissan dealer. I think we're gonna be pretty happy with it.

Anyone want to buy a well cared for 04 Pontiac Vibe? :)

Last edited:
That's great Dee. Sounds like a winner.

Back