[NA]home repair; new toilet install[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Caulking around the bowl base, where it contacts the floor?

One video (HD) shows doing it after the toilet is installed.
Another (This Old House) shows no caulking.
The one I just removed looks like the caulk was put on the rim of the bowl bottom, and then it was seated on the floor.

"Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise."

I was taught not to caulk the base. that allows water that might leak from the wax seal to escape ONTO the floor where you can see it instead of INTO the floor where you find it after damage has been done. I stuck with that, mostly because it was one less step in my bathroom reno.

I'm no expert, but I haven't seen any caulking around the toilet. In my house, over the years, 4 toilets installed by licensed plumbers (same plumbing company, one that I trust), none have caulking.

edit: code? maybe something has changed --- it's been 10 years since any new toilets installed in my house

I don't like caulk around th base. It gets dirty and isn't necessary. I've seen people try to use caulk to compensate for a floor that's not level, but that's only a temporary solution.

On a slab (where a leak wouldn't hurt anything), I'd caulk. On a wooden floor, I wouldn't caulk. I don't want to find a leak years later when the toilet falls through the floor. ;-)

I think a leak can go both ways. If the toilet shares the same space as a bathtub or shower then water can get from there to under the toilet, therefore caulk might be a good idea.

Caulking is a code requirement.. new one on me.. but then again, code requirements are local

No caulk.
Wax ring failures will get noticed sooner and you will have less damage in the long run

Ever had an overflow? Ever clean your floor around your toilet? What about under the toilet? That's why you caulk toilets.

Back