[NA]High Efficiency Clothes Washers[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Sears rep tells me that is all they can sell now; government regulations.

T or F?

I had an HE washer 2 years ago, after seeing that it did not fill with water, and did not agitate the clothes, and did not make the clothes clean, ̶I̶ ̶v̶o̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ I pulled it outside and left it there to rot.

Traditional available here. That said my high efficiency does a very good job of getting clothes clean. It does take an hour to get through a cycle. It does try to guess the amount of clothes by jiggling the load around for awhile. I use the soak cycle a lot (adds 20 minutes) and it always seems to cover the clothes totally. It does have a "bulky" setting so you can help it guess correctly on the amount of water to use.

All that said it is a pain to wash pillows in it. Best to go to the laundromat and use a front loader for those.

Sears rep tells me that is all they can sell now; government regulations.

T or F?

I had an HE washer 2 years ago, after seeing that it did not fill with water, and did not agitate the clothes, and did not make the clothes clean, ̶I̶ ̶v̶o̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ I pulled it outside and left it there to rot.

LOL, it wouldn't surprise me that this is all they sell now. I have two HE washers ( in different houses) they both work great, check out consumer reports before you buy, washers are one of the few things I trust them on .

HE top loader? Or HE front loader?

Also, what brand? Koreans seemed to have really taken the lead in the washer market.

Koreans seemed to have really taken the lead in the washer market
When observing who owns the local dry cleaner shops and the various wash/dry/fold shops in my area... I am see a trend

If I were in the market, I'd look into Speed Queen. From what I recall, it was fairly easy to defeat the fill limit switch on their top loaders so that they would fill to the top. And, they seem to have a good reputation for reliability and repairability.

JKG

Good read. I am in the market for a new washer/dryer. I live on a well so I don't care about water bills. I want one that gets clothes clean, big enough for king size comforters and quilts and does not take an hour for one cycle.

Not asking for much though, am I....

The government has mandated certain things -- but the government has not mandated those things of commercial laundromats.

Therefore: Everything is still available if you know where to buy it.

And having worked summers maintaining gear at a laundromat long long ago with my grandfather -- an industrial model of a boring old top loader should easily last a lifetime.

And even if the worst happens, the entire freaking transmission comes out with two clips and removal of a couple of big bolts.

Buy something a professional would use, it'll last the rest of your life with maybe a pump change.

Oh. I had to replace the starter capacitor on mine a couple years ago. Lighting. Total cost: $3.

Buh. The Sears site has a search option "Not HE" with 15 results.
Was the local rep uninformed??

I've had three HE washers, all LG. Not a problem really.

I think there's really only three manufacturers out there. Our Korean friends, GE, and the Amana/Whirpool/etc... guys.

Buh. The Sears site has a search option "Not HE" with 15 results.
Was the local rep uninformed??

Yes, local rep 'uninformed'.
They can order-in non-HE washers. And, have done so.
Yay, clean clothes in less than 10 hours.

I have an HE LG, not really impressed. The clothes get damp and it very gently wobbles left and right then sits for 15 seconds before doing another gentle wobble, I can't fathom how it gets anything clean but somehow it seems to work okay. I assume it relies heavily on the detergent. It seems to spend more time rinsing to be honest

However, for anything that is actually dirty, IE gym clothes, after mowing yard, etc, I use the "bulky" setting and soak mode, and even that is marginal, sometimes requiring two cycles... it's like those high efficiency toilets that require 6 flushes. I would love a toilet that just power flushes like they have in commercial applications, oh well

I have an HE LG, not really impressed. The clothes get damp and it very gently wobbles left and right then sits for 15 seconds before doing another gentle wobble, I can't fathom how it gets anything clean but somehow it seems to work okay. I assume it relies heavily on the detergent. It seems to spend more time rinsing to be honest
You're not watching the actual wash cycle. That is the initial cycle where it sizes the load. Suffice it to say after a few minutes when it has determined how much water it needs that it goes through a more vigorous cycle.

Mostly the HE detergents are designed to not produce excessive suds in the HE-style washing cycle more than anything else.

I purchased a LG brand HE top load washer a few weeks ago, very happy with it. It replaced a Bosch front load HE washer.

I think the LG gets things cleaner, it uses more water, but the cycle is a LOT faster.

edit: the LG top load uses more water, but does twice the laundry in half the time
per load.

Last edited:
I purchased a LG brand HE top load washer a few weeks ago, very happy with it. It replaced a Bosch front load HE washer.

I think the LG gets things cleaner, it uses more water, but the cycle is a LOT faster.

edit: the LG top load uses more water, but does twice the laundry in half the time per load.

I had a Bosch washer. Apparently they were so bad that Bosch stopped selling 27" washers (standard size) and now only sells 24" ones.

I had a Bosch washer. Apparently they were so bad that Bosch stopped selling 27" washers (standard size) and now only sells 24" ones.
My Bosch washer had a very long wash cycle along with the infamous moldy door gasket problem, the drum bearing going bad sealed the decision to replace it .

Back