NA - Have one day to spend in Philly...What to do?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
I have about 8 hrs worth of time to spend in Philly on Wednesday. Where to eat? What to see? Never been there before.

Where at? Downtown or the burbs?

The Constitution Center/Independence Park is worth the trip. The art museum is first class. The Mutter Museum is a unusual place, a medical oriented place with some interesting history and some pretty weird things - definately not for the squeamish. The Franklin Institute is a good science/history museum.

As far as food, lot's of choices. The "traditional" cheesesteak places (Pat's & Gino's) are to me at least, tourist traps. Rittenhouse Square/South Street area has an abundance of eateries, both chains and locals. If you like hard shell crabs/seafood, DiNardo's is top notch.

If you have wheels, the options expand.

Gary

Yeah, I got wheels. Going to see a show at the Mann Center Wed night. I should be in town around 10:00AM with nothing to do.

Geno's Steaks if you want a real Philly Cheese Steak.

Kitty corner to Pats? That's another tourist trap.

Nothing to do with the food, but they take cash only so plan ahead.

It's a locals trap as well, I end up there with Philly natives.

Across from Pat's is a bar called the Garage. Good beer, and they have a "food truck" built in with a dofferent chef every night.

Reading terminal market has a great selection of food. There is free or discounted parking if you get it signed off by someone at reading terminal.

Are you flying in?

Get a cheese steak and get some brews, duh! :)

I was just in Philly yesterday and frequent it quite often. With all respect to other posts above, DO NOT waste your money at Pat's or Gino's. While they are "real" philly cheesteaks becuase they are originally from philly, they are really gross. This is my opinion and everyone else from my area which is really close to Philly. If you must get a cheesteak go to Jimmy's on 5th and South street or go to south Philly to the original Tony Luke's who beat Bobby Flay in a cook-off by the way... If you go to Jimmy's on South street, you can walk around and see some unique boutiques.

If you want to go to museums there are quite a few good ones. The Museum of Art is excellent, Franklin Institute, Academy of Natural Science and the famous strange oddity Mutter's Museum (which I love). You can also go to the famous Philadelphia Zoo. You can't discount going to the Liberty Bell and one of the coolest places is the Eastern State Penitentiary which is said to be super haunted.

If you want to stroll around and shop, Walnut street is a good destination.

There are plenty of other places I did not mention. I would jump onto Trip Advisor and see what suits your fancy. Like I said, we go to Philly all the time and went to Tony Luke's and the Philly Zoo this time. Awesome day for sure!

It's a locals trap as well, I end up there with Philly natives.

Sure you do.

I lived in south NJ before moving here and tried both places and one could do better.

Bird man got it right.

I second Reading Terminal Market for food selection as well. They also have a nice Chinatown too if you prefer that fare.

Across from Pat's is a bar called the Garage. Good beer, and they have a "food truck" built in with a dofferent chef every night.

Reading terminal market has a great selection of food. There is free or discounted parking if you get it signed off by someone at reading terminal.

Are you flying in?

Not flying in, driving.

One night to spend in Philly? Fine Italian dinner at La Famiglia (ask to see the wine cellar if you're an oenophile); play at Dave & Busters -- my preference would bee a pool table; 2AM cheese steak at one of the Steve's Prince of Steaks outlets -- one of which happens to be adjacent to KPNE; also in Center City.

Kitty corner to Pats? That's another tourist trap.

Nothing to do with the food, but they take cash only so plan ahead.

And when ordering at Geno's, please speak English.

RIP Joey Vento

Go see the USS Olympia. Last of it's kind.

800px-USS_Olympia_side.jpg

They also have the USS Becuna, a WWII era submarine. Then go to the City Tavern for lunch or dinner.

I live in Philly and you certainly can't run out of things to do.

If you must get a cheesesteak go to Jimmy's on 5th and South street...

If you want to go to museums there are quite a few good ones. The Museum of Art is excellent, Franklin Institute, Academy of Natural Science and the famous strange oddity Mutter's Museum (which I love). You can also go to the famous Philadelphia Zoo. You can't discount going to the Liberty Bell and one of the coolest places is the Eastern State Penitentiary which is said to be super haunted.

I'd agree with other posts that Pat's/Geno's are touristy but I think both places make a pretty good cheesesteak(Pat's over Geno's for me). Haven't had one from Jimmy's, on my list of places to try. Joe's in Fishtown is my favorite so far. Their milkshakes are awesome too. If you are doing brunch, Northern Liberties/Fishtown has a ton of good places. Green Eggs Cafe does an awesome hearty breakfast(a few locations around the city). All the places Bird Man mentioned were places I was going to recommend for an out of towner and most of those are gonna be on the west side of town where you will be going. If you want to see the Liberty Bell I would say go early. The line(especially in the summer) can get pretty long. I feel like Hannibal Lector going to the Mutter's Museum but like Bird Man said it is pretty cool stuff. Franklin Institute has a neat Lego exhibit going on right now. The museum of Art is HUGE inside. I personally wouldn't go inside again(not really my cup of tea) but the outside is neat, plus a lot of people come just to run up the steps from Rocky. If you do be careful of whipping out your phone. Folks will stand out there and offer to take your picture with your camera/phone looking for a handout. Behind the Art museum on the Schuylkill is boathouse row. Kinda cool to see. As others have said I would second Reading Terminal Market. Great food in there. The Italian Market on 9th Street is pretty neat as well. As far as food goes, the possibilities are endless. I honestly couldn't recommend a place unless you narrowed it down to a section of the city and the type of food you want. Philadelphia is a food city and you almost can't go wrong with any place you choose(Yelp is your friend). I have to work otherwise I'd be happy to grab a drink with you! Hope you have fun!

Geesh, so many posts about a damn sandwich and none about the best local brewery/brew pub. That is what I want to know when I go to a new city.

Geesh, so many posts about a damn sandwich and none about the best local brewery/brew pub. That is what I want to know when I go to a new city.

I assumed he had to drive. Too many of those to mention as well. The Philadelphia Brewing Company is pretty good. Not sure if they are open for tastings on the weekdays.

Good point!! That would be Victory Brewing. However, it is in Downington PA, a ways out of the city. Sold everywhere.

Gary

If you go to Geno's get it "wit".
I understand Bookbinder's oyster bar has been resurrected as "The Olde Bar" in the oldest part of the city, 2nd and Walnut. Haven't been, but really liked the original.

Jim's on South for a steak. Provo wit for me, thanks. Find a pretzel off a cart somewhere downtown. Run up the museum steps like Rocky. Visit the Franklin Institute. Catch a Phillies game. Go see the Liberty Bell.

Frankly despite their alleged "orginality" both Tony's and Geno's make crap cheesesteaks in my opinion. To me the authentic Philly steak is made by some guy (typically greek) chopping away at the meat (he always seems to be chopping whether someone has ordered a sub or not) on the grill at the corner restaurant.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll reference the thread for lunch on Wednesday. Might check out a museum if I have time.

Bart, Tons of stuff to do in Philly, History, Food, Museums, Too much to write an any post. See my PM.

Back