[NA]'Googling' is just 'Selling', now[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Anytime I want to learn about something via Google, the first 2 pages are ads as if I want to buy that thing. Often I don't want to buy, I want to learn.
It did not used to be so.
Is this part of Net Neutrality or something else?

Anytime I want to learn about something via Google, the first 2 pages are ads as if I want to buy that thing. Often I don't want to buy, I want to learn.
It’s part of google not giving you search functionality out of the goodness of their heart.

Then, it seems like they want more money than before.
A LOT more.

Actually online ad revenue is in the crapper. They’re trying to make up for it in volume. Same deal on YouTube which they own, and hasn’t yet turned a profit.

Its part of how Google makes its money. You are the product.

It's how they make their money.

It's *part* of how they make money. Only part.

Actually online ad revenue is in the crapper. They’re trying to make up for it in volume. Same deal on YouTube which they own, and hasn’t yet turned a profit.

It's in the crapper for good reason. News sites, too: there are some we won't even go to because of their aggressive ad/pop-up/etc stuff. And even merchants are employing more techniques to force you to turn off ad & cookie blockers - one major credit card company site won't even load on my usual browser with pop-up/tracker protections enabled... their answer is "don't block ANY third-party or tracking cookies". Yeah, F.U.

After watching - or trying to watch - an MLB broadcast on YT yesterday, I have less than zero incentive to do so again. To even load the live video requires watching 2 minutes of ads, and then there is the regular ad load during the game. Awful announcing and less than stellar camera work, and various places where a "Bam!" or "Yeow" or similar appear, just like the old Batman shows had. Maybe it appeals to someone, but gawd is it awful. And someone should make Jake from State Farm "swim with the fishes".

Hi.
As others have mentioned they will do anything they can to maximize their profit at the expense of anyone or anything. It"s a co. that started out by misdirecting and abusing customers privacy and they are likely not going to stop now.
Use someone else like duckduck..
There are very few sites where they do not infringe on the user's privacy, and track you regardless of the new regulations that they are not allow to place cookies on your system without your permission. They permeated most of the browsers, operating systems.. also and without new enforceable legislation, don't hols your breath, things will not get any better. Add to that that the brain dead "millennials" don't even know what privacy means / is and that problem will never get solved.
Just try an app like SuperantiSpyware, free, and see how many companies are tracking you, some without visiting any of their related sites, they are attached to your browser, including the Firefox.
If anyone has a solution, other than not using them, I'd like to know about it.

I generally use dogpile.com. You “ fetch” your results. A lot fewer advertisements there. It’s a search engine aggregator.

They get away with it because people tolerate it. It's their platform, their rules. When enough people stop watching, the add load will go down.

Wait a tick.

YouTube exists to generate revenue? Whodathunktit? I thought it was for people to share their passion for aviation and music and such.

<-- that guy is devastated

Because online ads are a scam. The advertiser pays for showing me 150 ads AFTER I buy a product, but I never see them before.

Wait a tick.

YouTube exists to generate revenue? Whodathunktit? I thought it was for people to share their passion for aviation and music and such.

<-- that guy is devastated
Cats. It exists for cats.

Pffft. I still use Gopher and Lycos. I can only search web pages made before 1994, but hey....

Back