[NA]Deep Sea Fishing

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
My wife and I just got back from our first deep sea fishing trip. Went out of San Diego on the Top Gun 80 for 3 days. Good fun, except the first day of barfing...After that I was fine.

Caught a buncha Yellowtail off the coast of Mexico.
Susan_Yellowtail_zpsofux53gi.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsmkppsh28.jpg

Then went out and tried to find some tuna. Couple guys caught YellowFin and one guy caught an 80lb BlueFin.

Boat was nice. 22 anglers plus 6 crew. Never felt crowded. Good food. Good group of people.

My wife and I came home with 22 Yellowtail. Anybody got some good recipies...??

I know of a great sushi chef in Denton. Chef Keiichi at Elm and Parkway. And his other dishes are super yum as well.

I know of a great sushi chef in Denton. Chef Keiichi at Elm and Parkway. And his other dishes are super yum as well.

Yeah, thus far that the only way Ive had Yellowtail (Hamachi) is raw as sushi

Wow that looks fun!

It was a hoot. I was shocked at how hard a (relatively) small fish can pull. And you have to follow your fish around the boat as you fight it. So youre ducking under and going over all the other people on the boat. Kinda resembles a rugby scrum! The charter master had one rule: "Make sure your neighbor lands his fish". Meaning if theres a guy on a fish, get out of his way as he goes around the boat. He'll do the same for you.

My wife was the only one on the boat that hooked a SEAL! We were in big water looking for tuna and a seal grabbed her bait and got hooked. Lemme tell you, that seal was PI$$ED!! He was jumping and tossing and finally bit thru her line and split, but it was wild there for a minute

A spinner dolphin shadowing the boat
DSC_0100%203_zpsc3a8c5yk.jpg

Yeah, thus far that the only way Ive had Yellowtail (Hamachi) is raw as sushI.
I would still suggest calling his restaurant and see if he'd be willing to prepare it for you. Not only as a raw preparation, but something special cooked. There is a reason why his small 16-seat place has a near 5 star yelp rating. http://www.yelp.com/biz/keiichi-denton

Looks like a fun trip!! My baby boy caught his first billfish last weekend a Swordfish! He's 21 and only started fishing with me last year, his older brother loves to fish and loves the water, Thomas got sick when he was about 10 years old and didn't return to the sea for 10 years, now he loves it!!

Back