[NA]Criticize this! (laptop) [NA]

purchase price or total cost of ownership?

I dunno... the specs seem great for the price, but read the reviews. A lot of people wrote that the machine freezes constantly. Why is that?

I don't care much for Vista, but I haven't found it to freeze very often. So is the freezing due to some Gateway customization / addition / crapware, or maybe a bad driver; or is it a hardware problem with that particular design?

Hate to spoil the party, but I'd do some more research on this one.

-Rich

I don't care much for Vista, but I haven't found it to freeze very often. So is the freezing due to some Gateway customization / addition / crapware, or maybe a bad driver; or is it a hardware problem with that particular design?
My Vista-powered HP laptop has this annoying tendency to reset its display properties on its own. Aux screen become primary, resolution changes, that kind of stuff, for no apparent reason. Other than that it's been a pretty solid combination.

My Vista-powered HP laptop has this annoying tendency to reset its display properties on its own. Aux screen become primary, resolution changes, that kind of stuff, for no apparent reason. Other than that it's been a pretty solid combination.

My new HP laptop at work started out life as a Vista machine, but before I got it IT re-imaged it with XP Pro. No Vista in our network. Works fine.

Now, I've got Vista on a machine at home and it is rock solid. I can't remember the last time Vista crashed. Now, if I could just resolve a few minor problems that have plagued it since new (Feb 07)...

On Friday there will be even further discounts at the apple store! You could pick up a macbook for <800 possibly.

On Friday there will be even further discounts at the apple store! You could pick up a macbook for <800 possibly.

There is supposed to be a Mac netbook or touch-screen Macbook Air They have to ship the touchscreen Macbook I've been predicting for a year. :D

There is supposed to be a Mac netbook or touch-screen Macbook Air They have to ship the touchscreen Macbook I've been predicting for a year. :D

I've had my Touch Screen Daylight viewable flip flat Laptop/Tablet Lenovo X-61 for a year and a half now....:D:D:D

I've had my Touch Screen Daylight viewable flip flat Laptop/Tablet Lenovo X-61 for a year and a half now....:D:D:D

Recommended? Comments? Size and convenience?

Non recommend. I am in a Dell Latitude, with Vista Downgrade to XP SP3. The ONLY reason to have Vista is if you run 64 bit apps (Vista-64 bit). O/W, the overhead is just higher, it's no more stable, and you can't get drivers for stuff. The XP machine, app for app, is quicker (less system overhead).

Now my latitude is 3 lbs, not in the $700 price range, and is NOT fast. But I've bought two HPs laptops, the most recent this fall is a HP2911 with a 14" screen 3g RAM, 240g HD, Vista pro for my college daughter, $700. This one is okay. Vender was OfficeDepot. All she does is email and word processing.

Recommended? Comments? Size and convenience?

Overall, it's pretty damned good. It's already lasted longer than any of my previous laptops which have managed about a year. It's small for a laptop (12.1 screen) but large for a tablet, I've been pretty happy with it. At the beginning I had an issue with the USB drivers and my Sierra 595U modem from Sprint. Searched a Sprint user board and found the issue and fix at Microsoft. So much for automatic updates and problem reporting/solving.

Back