[NA] Covid19 & restaurants

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I see that many restaurants have been forced to close and got to wondering if there has actually been studies to show transmission in restaurants (ie in China), or is this just politicians “doing something”?

Far too early in the US for valid studies and frankly, too many other actions that are more important. The transmission issue is one of distance. Many of the restaurants are doing take-out to 1) eliminate the need to clean tables, chairs, tableware and 2) minimize person-to-person transmission.

I don't see this as a "restaurant" thing as in eliminating a place where people congregate in close proximity, which supports transmission of the disease. Libraries, bars, and gyms are closed here in Washington state, for the same reason.

Ron Wanttaja

Some small percentage will get sick from it, but for many, like travelers stuck in hotels, cooking isn’t an option. Take out or delivery is all they’ve got, or a trip to a grocery store for things that won’t keep without refrigeration.

I see that many restaurants have been forced to close and got to wondering if there has actually been studies to show transmission in restaurants (ie in China), or is this just politicians “doing something”?

I think the fact that they're allowed to stay open for takeout reinforces that the restaurant itself is NOT the source of transmission - It's just that it's a place where many people gather in close proximity every day, thus eat-in is a significant source of disease spread which is what we're trying to avoid right now.

I don't see this as a "restaurant" thing as in eliminating a place where people congregate in close proximity, which supports transmission of the disease. Libraries, bars, and gyms are closed here in Washington state, for the same reason.

Ron Wanttaja
Exactly. Same situation here in VT.

It's kinda hard to stay 6 feet away from someone at the booth you're back-to-back with or who's at the next table. Or your server.

I feel really sorry for the restaurant owners though. Man, that's tough.

I feel really sorry for the restaurant owners though. Man, that's tough.

In a business that's tough to begin with.

I know of a person who joined the board of a bank for the first time, and looking at how restaurant loans turned out, said "Why don't we just write a $52,000 check to everyone who asks for a restaurant loan, and we'll come out the same as we are now?" I don't think they do loans for restaurants any more...

I know people around here have banded together to support small business and restaurants affected by the closures. The wife and I have been getting takeout from small restaurants all week. I know it isn't the same, but it at least helps.

Most fast food restaurants are open for take out only. The Habit Burger, with no drive through, has the dining areas closed including the outside patio. And of course I was forced to sit on the parking lot sidewalk like a dog instead of being allowed to stand at one of the unoccupied outside tables on my bike ride.

Right, I get all the theory and hoped-for results with these actions......my main concern is that we don't make decisions based upon irrational fears.......but instead use known-good studies, or other half-way reliable evidence for our choices.
I would hate to penalize a group of businesses when in fact the disease has never been shown to be associated with how they provide service/product. If it has, then fine.

And yes I realize we don't have US data....but the disease started 3? months ago in China and I wondered if we were using info from that to shut down our restaurant business.

Just did take out pizza, most of the regular servers where working ,the owner had a tip jar for his help, they where all sharing the tips. Most people where kind enough to give.

It's kinda hard to stay 6 feet away from someone at the booth you're back-to-back with or who's at the next table.

In Italy, for a few days, they had a rule that restaurant dining rooms could remain open if they seated everyone two meters apart.

a lot of conflicting information... CDC said there is no evidence that this spread via food. ok good. then they said, the virus can live on the surface for 3-6 hours depending on what the surface is ... so someone who packed your food might be shedding the virus on the container and now you get it.

thats one theory someone told me.. i nodded and went my merry way to the drive through

Seattle's paragon of fine dinning, Canlis, closed its dining room several weeks ago and started a drive-thru and delivery operation.

Seattle's paragon of fine dinning, Canlis, closed its dining room several weeks ago and started a drive-thru and delivery operation.

They have lines going back 100 cars. They're probably going to make more money being closed than they did when they were open!

Good for them.

a lot of conflicting information... CDC said there is no evidence that this spread via food. ok good. then they said, the virus can live on the surface for 3-6 hours depending on what the surface is ... so someone who packed your food might be shedding the virus on the container and now you get it.

thats one theory someone told me.. i nodded and went my merry way to the drive through
If you keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth, no worries.

Some of the bars that do food service, and that are technically classified as restaurants, do food takeout. Of course their problem is that people don't go to a bar to order food to go, they go there to drink with their drinking buddies.

Lots of restaurants here are creating call ahead and car door delivery service. Some are figuring out how to make a walk up window too.

Locally there is a Waffle House that is shutdown down and another near that is ope for carry-out only. What does this mean in Waffle House lore?

Some of the bars that do food service, and that are technically classified as restaurants, do food takeout. Of course their problem is that people don't go to a bar to order food to go, they go there to drink with their drinking buddies.

California just realized the ABC regs and now permit those establishments to sell alcoholic drinks to go!

I ordered sushi vis Door Dash last night...then realized after getting the food ordering sushi from a restart that likely has seen its demand plummet having to sell off inventory sitting around probably want the brightest idea!

I lived, it was good.

Uber Eats, Door Dash and Grub Hub are all super easy delivery apps if you have not used them and great way to support local restaurants and keep the drivers working without having to go out during the Stay at Home orders

It would suck to see good places go out of business.

Tow of my favorite local eateries have full shut down and they posted that neither knows if they will be able to reopen even once this all blows over.

Last edited:

Ron Wanttaja

Not just what Ron notes. Shooting ranges are closed, as well. I know that the club I belong to has shut down for the duration. Also, barber shops are closed. I'm really going to need a haircut when this is over. :p

Not just what Ron notes. Shooting ranges are closed, as well. I know that the club I belong to has shut down for the duration. Also, barber shops are closed. I'm really going to need a haircut when this is over. :p
I need one *now*.

A week ago, my wife was scheduled to go to her hairdresser, who works out of her home and figured she was exempt. I was going to tag along and see if she'd give me a trim as well. Then hairdresser got a clarification on the rules, and that scotched that trip.

Been flying a lot, since the weather has been good, and a single-seat airplane lets you keep your distance from everyone. The Fly Baby group even has their own T-Shirt design....
social.JPG
Ron Wanttaja

RE: haircuts90165001_2948884468467464_2639094417973051392_o.jpg
I built my own airplane …….I cut my own hair.

Took a walk around town one evening this week. All the bars are closed, the liquor stores are open. So the local drunks stood huddled under the liquor store awning drinking from their paper bagged bottles. I dont think that was the idea.

I ordered sushi vis Door Dash last night...then realized after getting the food ordering sushi from a restart that likely has seen its demand plummet having to sell off inventory sitting around probably want the brightest idea!

My wife has two students whose families own local Chinese restaurants... And apparently their business was plummeting even before all the real madness started 10ish days or so ago. (Really? Sheesh.)

We're gonna be patronizing both of them, albeit remotely. Probably the local Mexican joint in our tiny town as well, which is offering free delivery.

Flew into CLE from CUN on Spirit yesterday afternoon after spending 11 days on Isla Mujeres.. wife and I had planned this trip a while back and things weren't so nuts when we left. We returned to a very different country. Had planned on spending the night in Cleveland, hitting one of our favorite brew-pubs, then making the six hour drive back to our home today. Obviously, that didn't happen.. everything was shut down, so we just got in the car and drove home through the wee hours. Since we hadn't eaten since 6am that morning, then hiked over a mile carrying almost 100 pounds between us in packs, then a ferry, then a shuttle, then airport security/flight/baggage claim/customs/immigration/security AGAIN before we could leave the airport (why does CLE do that?!?), then Uber to the hotel where our car was parked because hotel shuttles had been forbidden to operate.. by the time we were on the road home it was 8pm, we still hadn't eaten, and were pretty exhausted. Nothing was open, so we broke our ten year ban on eating at McDonald's.. they were all we could find enroute. Subways were closed, at least the ones we saw. We sucked it up and figured some food was better than no food. Turns out I was wrong. We each ordered a "Filet-o-fish" sandwich which came in a cardboard box. I should have chucked the sandwich and eaten the box.

I do feel for the restaurant owners and will definitely check into what the folks who run our common haunts are doing in this area... will patronize them as much as we can.

Best to all. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Does anyone still know how to cook at home anymore?

Yes, quite well, and love doing it. USUALLY do it. However, in the spirit of this thread and helping out friends who run small restaurants locally, I might do a bit less cooking at home and a bit more patronizing local businesses whenever I can.

Yeah...but in my town for example we have so many great mom and pop local quick serve type eateries (and healthy) it is just as cheap to eat out vs shopping, cooking, doing dishes and throwing out spoiled left overs and excess ingredients!

...but I have cooked more in the last week than I have in the past few months!

Locally there is a Waffle House that is shutdown down and another near that is ope for carry-out only. What does this mean in Waffle House lore?
the cholesterol level in the neighborhood will go down an average of 30 points?

Around here the Waffle House' busiest time is between last call and mid-morning. No more rush of drunks after 0200, that's what is really hurting their revenue.

I would know, we used to hit the WH after last call about every Saturday night, Sunday morning technically. I'd hate to imagine the hangovers I would have endured without all those All-star breakfast plates.

Last edited:

We cook and eat in 6 nights a week typically, and go out Friday or Saturday night. I brown bag lunches and never go out for breakfast, I love making a good big breakfast. We, like when I grew up, consider going out to eat a treat and not an everyday expectation

That said, we have a variety of good family owned places within a 10min walk from the house, and I like them all. I’m going to step up a little and order takeout several times a week to hopefully help save their way of making a living and preserving the varied local restaurant scene. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn’t, but if enough families do, maybe they’ll get by and survive.

Out doing some chores yesterday, we hit an Arby's drive through. I was thinking about this thread as I was sitting in line. Would rather have supported a "better" local establishment but it is what it is.
Anyway,I was thinking that while this was necessary for people to eat and businesses to keep going there seems to be really poor control here. I'm not so sure closing the dining room really helps all that much. Some sure, but it's not even close to a total shield.

as far as I know there's no real mechanism to screen the workers before they show up for their shifts
these people probably need the money to make rent...and are not very likely to "not come into work" today just because they have a little minor scratchy throat or whatever. They need the money.
they are not wearing masks of any kind
they handled my credit card...an they had no idea who had maybe touched it at another store I'd just previously visited.
That same person that touched my card had just handled payments from all of the many cars in line in front of me...and will pass by cudies to the folks in line behind me too
then consider all the folks in the kitchen that had a hand in getting the food to us...and how many other contacts those folks have had recently

I was thinking that this one little trip out of the house to do some chores at my wife's closed office, then to Arby's, then to a hardware store, then to a gas station.... that I might have potentially vectored with easily hundreds for unknown people....maybe thousands.... Even though I was using hand santizer and trying my best to use a paper towel and not touch the gas pump and such...

then lets say today one of those folks I even indirectly interacted with yesterday get sick, they didn't know they might have been contagious yesterday. There's no mechanism in place for me to even be aware that I was exposed...

As much as I want to get out of the house and support locals, it is a huge exposure risk in my thinking.

Thought this video a few days ago was good to consider....even though his analog "germs" probably don't stick and transfer exactly like a real virus, it's still something to consider...

I was thinking that this one little trip out of the house to do some chores at my wife's closed office, then to Arby's, then to a hardware store, then to a gas station.... that I might have potentially vectored with easily hundreds for unknown people....maybe thousands.... Even though I was using hand santizer and trying my best to use a paper towel and not touch the gas pump and such...

then lets say today one of those folks I even indirectly interacted with yesterday get sick, they didn't know they might have been contagious yesterday. There's no mechanism in place for me to even be aware that I was exposed...

Based on the data we have for the virus, all those casual contacts you had yesterday are very unlikely to have spread the virus to you, even if you happened to encounter a pre-symptomatic carrier. The bulk of transmission is still among individuals who are in prolonged close contact, such as within a family, working in the same office or spending hours in the same conference room. Note, I am not saying impossible, just unlikely.

Thought this video a few days ago was good to consider....even though his analog "germs" probably don't stick and transfer exactly like a real virus, it's still something to consider...

As he points out washing his hands in an effective manner before chewing his fingernails or making a sandwich is all it takes to stop that vector. You don't get infected with a respiratory virus by transmission through the skin, you get it by inhaling large droplets coughed out by a a person with high viral load or by transferring it from a contaminated surface onto your hand and then your lips, nose, eyes or food.

Last edited:
All of our kids have asthma with one pretty susceptible.

Pediatrician told us the virus lives on cardboard for hours. She suggested skipping takeout and quarantining what you bring from the grocery a few days. Keep up the hand washing etc.

Interesting nobody else feels that way . . . Hmmmm

Interesting nobody else feels that way . . . Hmmmm

Because the transmission data does not support that level of precautions. It's like salmonella on the shell of eggs. Yes, it can live there all the way through the supply chain, as long as you either cook the entire egg or throughly cook whatever you made with the crackked eggs, you are not going to get sick.

Yes, you can recover virus DNA from cardboard surfaces. We have no epidemiologic data to suggest that packaging is a significant vector. If you are concerned about the cardboard box on your takeout being contaminated, treat it like an eggshell. Don't lick the cardboard box, transfer the food from the container to your plate using utensils that comes from your dishwasher. Discard the container, throw the transfer utensils in the sink, wash your hands , get fresh eating utensils from the dishwasher and dig in.

So..... does this mean that one needs to be up against overwhelming odds before taking any steps of caution?

I am not one of the panicked, but I am one to take precautions. When is it dangerous enough to take precautions? There are too many unknowns in the equation. As much as a two week incubation period before symptoms appear. Three hour aerosol test time. Up to 72 hours on some surfaces and in some rare cases 9 days.

You are free to ignore the whole thing and play the odds. I will be taking prudent preventive steps and developing good habits while the odds are decaying thank you very much.

RE: haircutsView attachment 83824
I built my own airplane …….I cut my own hair.

Well this is timely. I've been meaning to pull the trigger on a hair clipping set so I can perform my own high and tights. Some of the hairdressers get it and some don't. It's a moot point right now as the hair places are closed mostly. I ordered a set of Wahl clippers on the Zon yesterday. I figured I might as well make my Prime membership pay off.

Back