[NA] Cordless drill

I picked up for under $20 an entire set of "security" screwdriver bits from Harbor Freight a while back. Comes in handy from time to time.

I ordered the bits in the link. Ya never know...

Yup. Someone got back before I did. “Security torx”. I have a set also. Not much “security” from them when an entire set of screwdrivers or a bit set is less than $10. :)

I heard Dewalt is the name Black and Decker started using after their brand became synonymous with "junk"; I don't know, but avoid both, just in case. . .

The security torx screws can usually be removed by just using a flat-blade (slot) screwdriver and placing it off-center next to the center pin. If you have the ends of the slot inserted in the splines, it should give you enough grip to get it to turn.

FGZCZPPG7DYYIL8.LARGE.jpg

Thanks, @SoonerAviator, that did the trick and I have the battery pack open.

Next question for you and/or @denverpilot, look at this photo. How do I glue weld or solder the metal shunts from battery to battery? I would think a garden variety soldering iron wouldn't be hot enough to make a good joint before heating the batteries too hot? Sounds like that could be dangerous. Or am I wrong?

-SkipRYOBI Batteries.jpg

That is a little tricky. Sometimes you can buy them with the tabs already on the cells. They’re spot welds. Some folks have soldered which probably overheats the ends of the cells a bit it can damage them.

There’s some YT videos of folks making huge packs out of salvaged laptop batteries for solar power walls that have some ideas.

Reviving this thread because the 12V NiCd's in ye olde DeWalt that I got second-hand are on their last legs. Considering the upcoming Black Friday, seems to be not much more to buy a whole new drill kit than to get new batteries.

Here's what's on sale next week:
$100 - 18v Dewalt (1.3AH, brushless), 18v Makita (3.0AH, brushless), 18v Milwaukee (2.0AH, brushless)
$90 - Ridgid (1.5AH)
$80 - Ryobi (2.0AH, brushless), Porter (1.3AH)
$50 - Ryobi (1.3AH), Craftsman (1.3AH)
$40 - Black&Decker (1.5AH)

Where's the sweet spot? What would you buy?

I've had good luck with my Porter Cable set. I have a Ryobi saw and fan, both of which work well, but I had to replace the charger and one battery pretty quickly when they both died separately. The PC is older and held up better in my personal use, which isn't daily, but typically weekly.

I checked out that $99 Dewalt and found out why it's $99. The Dewalt drills that Home Depot sells the other 11 months of the year are made in the USA but this $99 "special buy" is made in China.

Milwaukee or Makia if you need solid quality. Makita used to be Black and Decker quality but they stepped up when they saw Dewalt taken over by B&D.
Ryobi if you want versatility of interchangeable batteries across numerous tools.
Dewalt is fine for weekend warrior...but they really have going downhill the past few years...this coming from someone with dozens of Dewalt cordless tools between work and home.

I have been resisting the change, but anything cordless from here on out will be Ryobi.

The little 12 volt Ridgid is perfect for around the airplane. Small, light and the last one I bought I used for 5 years every day pulling panels (lots of screws) and the little LED light that came in the set is good for tight places. Still using the same 2 batteries.

Reviving this thread because the 12V NiCd's in ye olde DeWalt that I got second-hand are on their last legs. Considering the upcoming Black Friday, seems to be not much more to buy a whole new drill kit than to get new batteries.

Here's what's on sale next week:
$40 - Black&Decker (1.5AH)

Where's the sweet spot? What would you buy?

FWIW, I've gotten into the Black & Decker 20V Max stuff and have been very happy with it. I started with the weed whacker about 5 years ago, and since then have added the pole saw, chainsaw, blower, drill, and light. I should probably be buying bare tools on Amazon by now, but often the ones with batteries on sale at the local big box home stores can be had cheaper, so now I have two 1.5Ah, two 2.0Ah, and a 4.0Ah battery - Never have to worry about running out that way! :eek:

I would, however, give this caveat: If you're going to get the B&D drill, get the Matrix one. They have one that's just a plain drill, but the Matrix system allows you to pop off the chuck and gear reduction (at least I assume that's what's in there, it's pretty heavy for its size) and pop another tool head on, so you can use the same motor, trigger, handle, etc. for more than one thing. (I have the drill and impact driver attachments so far, but there are quite a few others.)

I'm not a pro, I just fix stuff around my own house, but none of my B&D stuff has had a single problem.

The little 12 volt Ridgid is perfect for around the airplane. Small, light and the last one I bought I used for 5 years every day pulling panels (lots of screws) and the little LED light that came in the set is good for tight places. Still using the same 2 batteries.
My Ridgid drill and driver and batteries just keep working. No complaints.

Back