NA Chevy beats Ford in total truck sales 2017

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
But there’s a catch.

Always find the year end numbers interesting.

I just recall my Nissan pickup of years past. I did nothing to it beyond changing the oil and inflating tires. After owning it for several years I met someone who had purchased a Ford Ranger at the same time I got my Nissan. On hers the transmission, suspension, and power plant had all required expensive repairs.

That said, one fo my friends bought and old Chevy Ram truck for 3 AMUs a few years back. Honestly, that thing would still be running if his daughter hadn't smashed it into something. I was genuinely impressed at how that truck just kept running. My buddy definitely got his money's worth out of it.

Didn't watch the video, but that sounds like a load of crap to me. Nissan has the ugliest trucks on the market lol.

I watched about a minute and half of the video before I had to turn it off. Those two are worse than the NFL pregame talking heads.

Holy cow no way I’m watching a 10 minute video of that.

TL;DR Ford is the best

Nissan has the ugliest trucks on the market lol.
Yeah, the older trucks were okay but the proportions on their newest line of trucks just seem all wrong.. seems like it was too heavily designed by computers and algorithms and not enough by artists

Although looks *are* subjective, I grant you

the best looking trucks in my opinion are the new Toyota Tacomas.. and they can take a good offroad beating too. The Ford Raptor has some definite cred too as far as off road usage. There's the Dodge Ram Rebel but I think that's more just fancy badging. The others, not so much.. the front end components of most trucks (at least 1500 models) seem so fragile and delicate.. can't image it taking any kind of abuse beyond a well graded dirt road

Let’s be real here. The only folks buying a Nissan are the old guys who love too much chrome.

28A2727C-3095-494D-95BF-697AC81F147B.jpeg

Yeah, the older trucks were okay but the proportions on their newest line of trucks just seem all wrong.. seems like it was too heavily designed by computers and algorithms and not enough by artists

Although looks *are* subjective, I grant you

the best looking trucks in my opinion are the new Toyota Tacomas.. and they can take a good offroad beating too. The Ford Raptor has some definite cred too as far as off road usage. There's the Dodge Ram Rebel but I think that's more just fancy badging. The others, not so much.. the front end components of most trucks (at least 1500 models) seem so fragile and delicate.. can't image it taking any kind of abuse beyond a well graded dirt road

The new Tacoma’s are good looking trucks. To be honest I just love a good heated truck debate and love to get people fired up about it :p

A base Frontier S with the 4cyl and 5sp stick is a good value, should be able to get one new for well under $20k.

A base Frontier S with the 4cyl and 5sp stick is a good value, should be able to get one new for well under $20k.

Make sure you get the roadside assistance package too. Hahaha I kid.

Make sure you get the roadside assistance package too. Hahaha I kid.

After owning an F-150 supercrew for 17 years, I'm currently truckless, and don't really miss it right now. If I ever do get another, it isn't going to be some tarted up $60k garage queen, it's going to be a base model. It's a truck, after all.

After owning an F-150 supercrew for 17 years, I'm currently truckless, and don't really miss it right now. If I ever do get another, it isn't going to be some tarted up $60k garage queen, it's going to be a base model. It's a truck, after all.

Ahh I was just pulling your leg trying to get you fired up!!!

No problem, but I really do like the base 4cyl stick shift versions of the Taco and Frontier. They'd cheaply handle 80% of most people's truck needs.

No problem, but I really do like the base 4cyl stick shift versions of the Taco and Frontier. They'd cheaply handle 80% of most people's truck needs.

I’d take the Taco. Really chaps my hide when someone calls a Frontier a truck :D:Dokay I’ll stop...maybe

The new Tacoma’s are good looking trucks. To be honest I just love a good heated truck debate and love to get people fired up about it

Thus, the reason for the post. ;)

For those whining about the video, their other videos are much more informative, they just do these little ones in the shop for breaking news like the numbers releases. I just listen to the numbers and ignore the rest of their blather. It was the numbers that were interesting.

I thought Ford might break one million this year. They didn’t quite make it.

Didn't watch the video, but that sounds like a load of crap to me. Nissan has the ugliest trucks on the market lol.

You obviously haven't seen the newer Colorados.
DSC_0117s.jpg
Of course, the real problem is I wanted an actual small pickup which they don't make/sell in the US any more. Other than the height it's only a little smaller than the full-sized pickups.

Mostly I wanted the Diesel, which also means nothing even close to the base model or even the smaller cab.

You obviously haven't seen the newer Colorados.
View attachment 59056
Of course, the real problem is I wanted an actual small pickup which they don't make/sell in the US any more. Other than the height it's only a little smaller than the full-sized pickups.

Mostly I wanted the Diesel, which also means nothing even close to the base model or even the smaller cab.

The new Colorado’s are ugly stock but I have a friend with one and with the right set of wheels and tires they look pretty good.

Well just you wait when Ford brings back the Ranger and throws a diesel in it And saves the day.

My dad sold his F150 and bought a Honda Ridgeline years ago. Big mistake. Funding those commies over there. What an ugly truck. The interior looks like it is from the 80s or 90s.

The first gen Nissan Titans were sharp-looking. The current stuff is god-awful.
The Toyota Tundra has become hideous as well.
The grill on the Ram Rebel is a travesty, as is the "RAM" tailgate. I like the look of the newer Rams in their Laramie/Longhorn trim.
The GMC/Chevy 1500 has gotten better in their last redesign, but still pretty bland (like the old Tundra).
The Ford F-150 is probably still be best-looking overall, for me.

It's my opinion that Ford is still the driving force behind the entire light-duty truck market for innovation. Now, most of those innovations are luxury items, but they are generally the first ones to offer them. 360-degree cameras, retractable step bars, xenon headlights, LED headlights, heated/cooled seats, power-fold mirrors, trailer-backing, trailer-sway assist, etc. Then there's the EcoBoost direct-injected engines which have faired pretty well for most people.

GM is still riding that oil-burning AFM 5.3L like they've got nothing else in the barn, same goes for Toyota and the iForce 5.7L. Ram at least tried with the EcoDiesel, but it's been a bit of a flop so far, same with the Nissan TitanXD. Time will tell if Nissan's deal with Cummins for their 5.0L turbo diesel will be a good engine.

As far as annual sales, Ford F-150 averages about 800K units/yr in the US. Toyota 115K/yr, Ram 450K/yr, Chevy 575K, GMC 210K, Nissan Titan has to be less than 100K/yr I'd guess. To put that in perspective, Ford F-150 sells about as many units per year as every other truck model combined, excluding Chevy. They can play with the numbers by adding GMC/Chevy together, but you can't have it both ways. Either GMC is a better-class of truck than the Chevy and are "different" from a consumer standpoint, or they are exactly the same and their numbers should be combined with Chevy and no up-charge for the Sierra is needed.

All that said, I have owned 3 Ford trucks ('90, '98, '08), and a GMC ('07). Neither truck brand has ever left me stranded anywhere.

The Saturday before Thanksgiving, the radiator ruptured in my old 1992 Ford F-150. It had really served me well and had a hard life pulling a goose neck horse trailer. I had already been looking at trucks and had found a F150 that I thought was perfect for my needs with a trailer towing package. The radiator problem gave me the motivaion to go ahead and pull the trigger. Since it was the end of the year I was able to get mine for $9000 below sticker price with all of the incentives they were offering. I got my old F150 fixed and keep it for the dogs to ride in with me while hauling the trash to the dumpsters and picking up stuff from the hardware store. I just hope the new F150 will serve me as well as the old one has. I have never touched the engine in the old truck but I did have to overhaul the transmission from the trailer pulling.

Attachments

• IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 23
The first gen Nissan Titans were sharp-looking. The current stuff is god-awful.
The Toyota Tundra has become hideous as well.
The grill on the Ram Rebel is a travesty, as is the "RAM" tailgate. I like the look of the newer Rams in their Laramie/Longhorn trim.
The GMC/Chevy 1500 has gotten better in their last redesign, but still pretty bland (like the old Tundra).
The Ford F-150 is probably still be best-looking overall, for me.

It's my opinion that Ford is still the driving force behind the entire light-duty truck market for innovation. Now, most of those innovations are luxury items, but they are generally the first ones to offer them. 360-degree cameras, retractable step bars, xenon headlights, LED headlights, heated/cooled seats, power-fold mirrors, trailer-backing, trailer-sway assist, etc. Then there's the EcoBoost direct-injected engines which have faired pretty well for most people.

GM is still riding that oil-burning AFM 5.3L like they've got nothing else in the barn, same goes for Toyota and the iForce 5.7L. Ram at least tried with the EcoDiesel, but it's been a bit of a flop so far, same with the Nissan TitanXD. Time will tell if Nissan's deal with Cummins for their 5.0L turbo diesel will be a good engine.

As far as annual sales, Ford F-150 averages about 800K units/yr in the US. Toyota 115K/yr, Ram 450K/yr, Chevy 575K, GMC 210K, Nissan Titan has to be less than 100K/yr I'd guess. To put that in perspective, Ford F-150 sells about as many units per year as every other truck model combined, excluding Chevy. They can play with the numbers by adding GMC/Chevy together, but you can't have it both ways. Either GMC is a better-class of truck than the Chevy and are "different" from a consumer standpoint, or they are exactly the same and their numbers should be combined with Chevy and no up-charge for the Sierra is needed.

All that said, I have owned 3 Ford trucks ('90, '98, '08), and a GMC ('07). Neither truck brand has ever left me stranded anywhere.

image.jpg

They can play with the numbers by adding GMC/Chevy together, but you can't have it both ways. Either GMC is a better-class of truck than the Chevy and are "different" from a consumer standpoint, or they are exactly the same and their numbers should be combined with Chevy and no up-charge for the Sierra is needed.

That’s not really fair. Ford played that game forever with Lincoln badging, and counted those as Ford sales. Everybody knows a Lincoln LT is a Ford, and everybody knows a GMC is a Chevy. The bling hanging from it, and extra chrome, doesn’t matter when talking complete national sales numbers.

Ford got smart and killed most of Lincoln and labeled the Lincoln version of the F-150 the “Platinum”. Who cares? Same truck. Old people like fancy leather. Haha.

There is no such thing as a pretty modern pick up.

The Mark LT was such a blip on the sales numbers that it didn’t make a difference anyway. I haven’t looked at any numbers, but I can’t imagine they sold more than 15-20K Mark LTs and even fewer Blackwoods. I agree that they shouldn’t be counting them as F-150s, but the Lincoln sales volume has to be immaterial anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/2 ton pickups, any brand, are good for one thing. Keeping your dress clean while driving it....:lol::lol:

A friend of mine bought a used 2016 F-150. Man, that thing is just one step away from being a ladies dressing room.

He bought it for cross country driving, no loads other than himself and an over night bag. It's working out good for him.

1/2 ton pickups, any brand, are good for one thing. Keeping your dress clean while driving it....:lol::lol:

A friend of mine bought a used 2016 F-150. Man, that thing is just one step away from being a ladies dressing room.

He bought it for cross country driving, no loads other than himself and an over night bag. It's working out good for him.
My '17 disagrees.
1.jpg
2.JPG
3.jpg

Back