[NA]Can I drink vermouth[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
straight?
Someone left a bottle and I found it in the cabinet. Always willing to experiment, I said to myself (previously only a drinker of wine, whisky, beer) hmm I wonder what it tastes like? This is the Gallo brand, from Modesto. Well, it's a deep red, clear, and sweet - it has an earthy-flavor-mixed-with woodsmoke, maybe a hint of licorice and red wine?
I felt a little guilty drinking it as I am pretty sure it is used only to flavor what, martinis and manhattans or some such. Would I be accused of activity akin to eating a condiment? Ketchup alone? (well, I know people who do that). I don't care. Call me gauche. Or droit. Maybe I'll discover something, set a trend and be in the (good type of) news.
So, tell me about the joys and pitfalls of vermouth. Be gentle with the comments on drinking it alone. Well on second thought let it rip; I'm ripped.

It is considered a wine and the French drink better versions of it as an aperitif. I say go for it.

It’s considered a ladies drink by some, which puts you in good company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

White (dry) vermouth is used in a traditional martini, not the red, sweet stuff.
A Manhattan uses red vermouth.
White over ice is a common aperitif. The red is too sweet to do anything good for the palate before a decent meal.

I would guess that sexual orientation will have little to do with whether or not you can drink it.

Sweet Rob Roy. Scotch with Sweet (red) Vermouth.

Watch it! It kicks harder than Dupuis' mule. :devil: :yikes:

-Skip

Vermouth...best use - wave the damp cork over the gin in the martini glass.

That's sweet vermouth, used for Manhattans, not martinis. Gallo is a particularly cheap brand. IIRC vermouth is 20% alcohol, like sherry and port. Wine is in the 12-14% range for reds.

I like sweet vermouth over ice once in a great while, but avoid the cheap stuff. Dave, I'd suggest that you consult a wine salesman and select a better brand to continue your experience.

Three blokes were discussing the perfect Martini.

1) Fill the glass with Vermouth, then poor it back into the bottle. The perfect amount will stay on the glass.

2) Pour some Vermouth into a bowl, dip your fingers into it, and sprinkle it into your gin.

3) Keep the bottle of Gin next to a bottle of Vermouth. The correct amount will find its way.

[I'm a believer in method 3. Works well for Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks, and Boodles]

Three blokes were discussing the perfect Martini.

1) Fill the glass with Vermouth, then poor it back into the bottle. The perfect amount will stay on the glass.

2) Pour some Vermouth into a bowl, dip your fingers into it, and sprinkle it into your gin.

3) Keep the bottle of Gin next to a bottle of Vermouth. The correct amount will find its way.

[I'm a believer in method 3. Works well for Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks, and Boodles]

All similar to the recipe I recall for a dry martini. Pour in the gin, take a bottle of vermouth and wave it over the glass saying, "vermouth". Don't even have to open the bottle.

Dry Vermouth, just a bit, and Jack over ice with a twist of lemon over the glass edge for a good Dry Manhattan

Its 16% AlOH
Not feeling girly after drinking it, dont give a ratsass about judgements
Heck if it attracts the gals...
Looking fwd to trying the dry version!

Its 16% AlOH
Not feeling girly after drinking it, dont give a ratsass about judgements
Heck if it attracts the gals...
Looking fwd to trying the dry version!

Noilly Prat dry white, on the rocks, twist of lemon. Before dinner. Don't adulterate it with anything else.

All similar to the recipe I recall for a dry martini. Pour in the gin, take a bottle of vermouth and wave it over the glass saying, "vermouth". Don't even have to open the bottle.
That isn't a martini; that's just a glass of gin.

Needs to be refrigerated after opening

Back